Skinna Skinna, Chicken Dinna

Moving parts scare me, I leave that to Tim!

I'd like to do them one day but theres so much with fixed blades I want to try.
Have you ever seen how an AO knife works, So damned simple, and no moving parts. Why didn't I think of that? Groan...

Yes David, I have actually made a couple of friction folders and one lock blade not from kits but that was a long time ago, I put the horse before the cart and focused on fixed blades but this Scagel is looking like a very real possibility.

That's nice! I'd love to see you do something along those lines, my friend.

Friend of mine had an auto no lock bar or anything just pull the lanyard and a catch released the tip and and a coil spring pulled the blade against the back of the knife and locked it. You pulled the blade out about a 1/4" to unlock it and slip the tip back under the lanyard catch. I was thinking about buying a a cheap slip joint kit knife and coping some of the parts to put into a with a folding blade like the pic of the one I posted.

That's nice! I'd love to see you do something along those lines, my friend.

Yes I've got a little bit of an itch to do something like that but I have some Bowie knife blades I need ti finish up first.

Yes David, I have actually made a couple of friction folders and one lock blade not from kits but that was a long time ago, I put the horse before the cart and focused on fixed blades but this Scagel is looking like a very real possibility.

Ohhhhhh, this would be awesome.

Friend of mine had an auto no lock bar or anything just pull the lanyard and a catch released the tip and and a coil spring pulled the blade against the back of the knife and locked it. You pulled the blade out about a 1/4" to unlock it and slip the tip back under the lanyard catch. I was thinking about buying a a cheap slip joint kit knife and coping some of the parts to put into a with a folding blade like the pic of the one I posted.
I see that knife as a flipper, Scott.

Can't wait to see that one finished David.
It will be awhile, Scott. It will go out to the Ht house in 2 weeks, it will take a week or so for them to do it, and then, working at my normal lightening speed (haha) probably another few weeks. But, next week I will be starting on a commission I accepted from a very nice guy we all know and love. Gonna be a bowie, and while I don't do wips, I will do a progression of events kind'a pictorial, as I was extended a standing invitation by John to do so here.

It will be awhile, Scott. It will go out to the Ht house in 2 weeks, it will take a week or so for them to do it, and then, working at my normal lightening speed (haha) probably another few weeks. But, next week I will be starting on a commission I accepted from a very nice guy we all know and love. Gonna be a bowie, and while I don't do wips, I will do a progression of events kind'a pictorial, as I was extended a standing invitation by John to do so here.

Cant wait to see that one David, love the Bonsai's in the picture.

Cant wait to see that one David, love the Bonsai's in the picture.
Oh, it will get done, Scott. As for the bonsai's, here's a Juniper I collected from the wild's about 8 years ago. It's come a long way since then. This style is called the Mother and Son by some, as the main tree hovers protectively over the son, who is trying to grow away from the Mother to thrive on it's own. Yeah, there's a lot of silly things in the bonsai world, just like there is in the knife world.

Here's the oldest bonsai I have. I've had it for 25 years, and it was about 20 yrs old when I got it. It has always grown in a pot.

Very nice David, I've had several over the years one in particular was a Japanese Red maple probably 50 years old. I use to winter it in a deep mulch bed but a cold winter got it a few years ago. After that I sort of lost interest and gave mine away. Had several nice junipers and a few real nice indoor ficus that was really old and gorgeous, but they don't work too well with house critters. I still have a lot of pots, wires ect.

Very nice David, I've had several over the years one in particular was a Japanese Red maple probably 50 years old. I use to winter it in a deep mulch bed but a cold winter got it a few years ago. After that I sort of lost interest and gave mine away. Had several nice junipers and a few real nice indoor ficus that was really old and gorgeous, but they don't work too well with house critters. I still have a lot of pots, wires ect.
My interest has peaked and waned over the years too, but despite it all the little trees just keep plugging along. You'll get back into it someday.

Those Bonzais are awesome:thumbup:

Skinna is shipping out in the morning, got a better picture of the handle that shows the thicknesses better. I'll toss some beeswax in the box if you have a use for it, its handy for a lot of stuff.

I'm working on setting up a test for handle finishes, I'm gonna make a long handle and coat it with different stuff and leave it outside somewhere, probably in wire so mice dont get to it. Anyways I want to try plain leather, Beeswax, Sno Seal, the mixture I made for this, and superglue. Compressed and uncompressed of each. Any other ideas for finishes to test?

I'm working on setting up a test for handle finishes, I'm gonna make a long handle and coat it with different stuff and leave it outside somewhere, probably in wire so mice dont get to it. Anyways I want to try plain leather, Beeswax, Sno Seal, the mixture I made for this, and superglue. Compressed and uncompressed of each. Any other ideas for finishes to test?
Spar varnish? Apply and wipe off. Various oils, mink oil, etc.

Those Bonzais are awesome:thumbup:

Skinna is shipping out in the morning, got a better picture of the handle that shows the thicknesses better. I'll toss some beeswax in the box if you have a use for it, its handy for a lot of stuff.

Leather has a nice finish to it, is that with just the snow seal bees wax finish to it?

Back