Sledge Hammers!

We got axes, we got shovels. How about restored/rehung hammers? I had seen a few at a yard sale yesterday and thought later I could have restored one.

Post 'em if you got 'em!

No ! Please dont...
The internet axe boner has put insane prices to axes. Lets not encourage the same thing upon hammers.

I generally use sledges and am not a collector of them. This particular one is from an Estate sale of a former Rideau Canal Lockmaster who died at age 90 in the mid 1980s. There was a mountain of old tools there (hand planes, chisels, slicks, axes/adzes, peaveys, cant hooks, coal shovels etc.) but the prominent stamp on this 7 lb W. Gilpin really grabbed my attention (plus it was inexpensive) so I brought it home and put it to work.

Gilpinhammer002Small_zps1a186c87.jpg

We got axes, we got shovels. How about restored/rehung hammers? I had seen a few at a yard sale yesterday and thought later I could have restored one.

Post 'em if you got 'em!

I don't have any sledge hammers, I have framing hammers drilling hammers and ball peens.
If that's not off topic I'll post pics later.

I've got a Rinaldi sledge hammer that uses a slip fit handle. I swap it between short and long handles as the situation dictates. Will have to snap some pictures when I get the chance.

Germantown 1.5lb machinist hammer ( I believe it's turn of the century )
Unmarked 3lb drilling hammer from my grandpa
Early Hart tools 25oz California framer
50's craftsman 14oz ball peen
Stanley 12oz ball peen
CA 50's craftsman hammertooth 20oz framer
Modified Stanly tack hammer ( fork end rung too much, and it's not very old so I cut it down )
One of those screwdriver hammers modified with hickory handle
Vaughan 999ml 20oz famer
I've also got a 1994 wordings Verona 4lb drilling hammer from my grandpa ( handle broke last week )

Hammers show up in context in several areas of Blade Forums and have for a long time. All shapes and sizes. There might be valid reasons to not talk about sledge hammers as this is the Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum.

Finds, restores, questions, stories. It’s been mentioned, pictures get posted. I personally don’t have an extensive hammer collection. I would think seeing interesting and unique hammers would be interesting. And they are akin to axes, right? They attach in the same fashion.

Why not a thread dedicated to them?

Hammers move things, axes part them.

There are some axes that have hardened polls, tomahawks with hammers, hatchets designed to be used primarily and secondarily as nail and peg striking tools. There are also axes that get used as hammers...

There are hammers you pick up and use hard and without concern and then there's someone else's hammers, but maybe you have one that you are more careful with and maybe it has a story – either your story or one that speaks of a different time, one from when there was a wider variety of tools needed to make and do things taken for granted now. Everyday things. Construction: Destruction. They are universal tools.

They change, build, and create with us.

Take everything away from a guy and he will still have a hammer. .

Guess the price of hammers coerced by the forum hadn’t crossed my mind.

Hammers show up in context in several areas of Blade Forums and have for a long time. All shapes and sizes. There might be valid reasons to not talk about sledge hammers as this is the Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum.

Finds, restores, questions, stories. It’s been mentioned, pictures get posted. I personally don’t have an extensive hammer collection. I would think seeing interesting and unique hammers would be interesting. And they are akin to axes, right? They attach in the same fashion.

Why not a thread dedicated to them?

Hammers move things, axes part them.

There are some axes that have hardened polls, tomahawks with hammers, hatchets designed to be used primarily and secondarily as nail and peg striking tools. There are also axes that get used as hammers...

There are hammers you pick up and use hard and without concern and then there's someone else's hammers, but maybe you have one that you are more careful with and maybe it has a story – either your story or one that speaks of a different time, one from when there was a wider variety of tools needed to make and do things taken for granted now. Everyday things. Construction: Destruction. They are universal tools.

They change, build, and create with us.

Take everything away from a guy and he will still have a hammer. .

Guess the price of hammers coerced by the forum hadn’t crossed my mind.

I also think they belong here and should have a dedicated thread.
I belong to a tool forum, but most only see hammers as a chunk of metal to beat stuff with and love to scrap axe heads 😳
I don't know why, but one of the most enjoyable tasks for me is hand peening rivets and forging pin heads. One of the reasons I love hammers is the fact that they were one of if not the first tools ever used , and that the last big development in hammer technically that actually mattered was the framing hammer over 50yrs ago ( one of the best things to come out of California if you ask me )

It just dawned on me that I don't actually have a good 16oz or less claw hammer , the only vintage ones I've found didn't have octagonal necks like I prefer on traditional claw hammers .

Last edited:
Give a small child (less than 1 year old) any object. The first thing he/she will do is try putting in the mouth - see if it's edible. If it isn't they immediately start trying to hammer with it. It's a basic human instinct.

Did somebody say hammers? :) You guys are just enabling me.

In your situation there is a pressing need to start a thread on anvils. I'm hoping your house is located on bedrock, or you've been moving these along, because you seem to have gathered up quite a collection of them.

My one and only sledge. I don't need one, but maybe it'll come in handy one day. I did use it to pound a maul through some wood once or twice though.

Stamped Warren-Teed 84-8. It looks like the original handle judging by a few worm holes. I still need to wire-wheel the rest of it to really make it look good.

And my (lately) most-used hammer...a 2-lb (I think) hammer on a short handle. Great for lots of little and big chores. The short handle allows for good control. I think this is called a drilling hammer, but I have no idea why. The pic is pre-cleanup and oiling, but it looks great now, even though the handle is slated for replacement (it's pretty cracked up at the base). No stamp.

I have a milk crate full of 3#, 4# and 8# sledge heads as well as engineers or ball peen heads ranging from small to very large. None are hung but an order has been placed at HH for the hafts. Either way I probably should't contribute to this thread because I've been a deadbeat lately and have not posted photos of any of the hangs I've done lately...

I don't have anything collector related. They will all be used.

Back