Sledge Hammers!

An axe, sledge, sledge maul, mattock (grub Hoe). I rehung for a friend. They are his family hand-me downs. The grub hoe is from Warwood Tool Co, Wheeling WV.( verified with the Co.) The axe is a true temper Redi Warrior! He was pleased. Left is how I received, the right is how I sent them home today!
e8c0f8fa7a6526681c2209eea1d72728.jpg

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

An unnamed hand forged cutter on a hickory replacement and a 4lb Craftsman sledge on an oak replacement handle with a 3.5lb Atha sledge on a hand formed hickory firewood handle.

This is a 4lb Drop Forged made in Italy head on a reused 15.5" sledge hammer handle section.

It was a new handle. Only on there a couple of months. I'll certainly be pickier with the next one.

So this handle was a perfectly good $1 yardsale find but it was grey and dirty. I simply sanded it and rubbed on some water based rosewood colored stain before linseed oil. I think that it turned out well.

It was a new handle. Only on there a couple of months. I'll certainly be pickier with the next one.

It may have been new, but sometimes handles have that "airy" or "porous" look once broken...I think you just got a bad one. The fungus/rot that was likely in there wouldn't be seen until the wood fails.

It may have been new, but sometimes handles have that "airy" or "porous" look once broken...I think you just got a bad one. The fungus/rot that was likely in there wouldn't be seen until the wood fails.

That's good to know. Do I assume that it goes all the way through the wood? I was considering cutting a few inches off and rehanging.

That's good to know. Do I assume that it goes all the way through the wood? I was considering cutting a few inches off and rehanging.

It is very disappointing to put work into hanging a tool, only to have it break. I would not risk it. If the handle feels light, it is less dense. This could be from rot or porous wood.

Some folks claim they can bounce the handle on the floor and tell if it's bad. I have no reason to doubt it. I just have not tried it. Good opportunity to compare. Some of those deteriorated handles will be noticeabley lighter. Like Slim said select for more than just grain alignment it should feel dense and hard.

Thank you for the advice. I'll do some searching for a proper handle now.

I love their finish and framing hammers. The 16 oz & 20 oz rip hammers are excellent. I also like the 24 oz framer.

Interesting brand names being mentioned and seen in that last video. I can speculate on a few more.
Thanks Hickory n steel.

Back