Sledge Hammers!

I have the same one. Says Safe-T-Shape on the other side (instead of wear safety goggles) and cost $12 (taxes incl) at Can Tire back in 1972. Hammer made more money for me than all of the university and college diplomas I have hanging on the wall.

Yours has a few more miles than mine;) quality hammers.

jb i find a good forging hammer like that is most useful on a 24. with that kinda weight behind its almost a giant chisel instead of a spreader. i really like that head shape. i would email you about it but, like i said before. i couldnt afford it

Do you mean the spalling hammer? It is intended for stone work but I am sure that it could be tempered back a little bit and it would be fine for smithing. Those types of heads are falling out of the trees around this part of the country, and I have seen them in just about every weight between 4-20 pounds. I'd probably want $35 or so for that one, but if you are interested I could send you just a head for $10.

i meant that big cross peen. well, i have a birthday present i have to send to canada, but... nevermind im not gonna say it because i dont wanna lock this thread

Cool thread, here are some of my restorations. Handles are made from old baseball bats.

Hi3Uw7Q.jpg

Cool thread, here are some of my restorations. Handles are made from old baseball bats.

Nice looking track chisel even though the handle is a little short for that tool. I can't quite make out the stamp. What brand is it?

I'm assuming that this stamp says USA in the circle with another letter or digit that I can't make out. Anybody know who made this?

kaMJ4Oy.jpg

Nice looking track chisel even though the handle is a little short for that tool. I can't quite make out the stamp. What brand is it?

The only marking on it is "1 1/4" which I assume is the weight. I've never thought of it as a track chisel although it could well be one. I don't have a lot of tracks to cut, so I just use it as a handled cold cut.

Last edited:
The only marking on it is "1 1/4" which I assume is the weight. I've never thought of it as a track chisel although it could well be one. I don't have a lot of tracks to cut, so I just use it as a handled cold cut.

Its likely the length of the cutting edge.

OK. Everyone please give up all your secrets. Biggest I have is a 3# ball peen and I want pretty much these three hammers (or similar). I need a decent 4# sledge and a heavy(er) engineer's hammer. Where do I find them? Yard sale season is here... Should I just be patient? Thanks.

I know I'm not supposed to be jealous but... drool...
(edit: except I'll use mine so they won't look like that for more than a few hours)

Craftsman, Warwood and unmarked.

Well, Jblyttle does have half the old hammers that were actually made on the continental US roaming his basement... Maybe you could shoot him a massage?

Back