Sledge Hammers!

New handle on the Plumb, just cleaned and oiled the 48oz Stanley. Lord knows I have no use for a stone mason hammer, but when I have a $1 head and a matching $1 handle something compels me to put them together.

I agree, a 'multi-tool for railway, mining or similar. Its fairly big for geologist what is basically a sampling tool.

I've got a question about sledge hammers that I hope isn't too stupid. I recently saw an old ad for tools, I think it was Quikwerk, that listed sledges for either steel or stone work.
What is the difference and when buying old sledges, how do you tell the difference?

well, i dont know too much about it but i think a mason's sledge, if thats a thing, might have a longer handle. a steel work sledge, if thats like a forging hammer, would have a short handle for working in a shop, but i dont know so it's probably better to get another answer

There is no real hard rules for this, As you know there is about a million types of hammers and alot of overlap with their usefulness.
Anyway broadly speaking a stone sledge is very square faced blocky shape, often a straight peen.
General purpose sledge is usually two faces much rounder looking often hex or octagonal between the face and cheeks.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking more along the lines of hardness, tempering and that sort of thing. I didn't want to take a chance with damaging a hammer or endangering myself by using one not made for the job.
I'm glad I asked.

does anyone have a picture of an NOS plumb anchor? i have an anchor ball peen and i want to paint it because it keeps rusting and i'd like to know what it should look like

does anyone have a picture of an NOS plumb anchor? i have an anchor ball peen and i want to paint it because it keeps rusting and i'd like to know what it should look like
I don't recall ever seeing a painted hammer! Mist the darn thing with WD every now and again and start storing somewhere not as damp.

i think it may have been painted on the facets between the eye, peen and face-ish area (i dont know the anatomy of a ball peen that well) but i was going to put some polishing compound on it anyway, i use polishing compound because i'v had it on my kelly perferct's bevels for months and they haven't rusted and everything rusts, its very humid where i keep my stuff.

I don't recall ever seeing a painted hammer! Mist the darn thing with WD every now and again and start storing somewhere not as damp.

I haven't seen too many painted hammers either - seems like a finish would get roughed up pretty quick...being a hammer.

Some of the older Channellock ball peens I think where painted red:

(Google pic)
ry%3D480

One here:
A4BB2E9A-FA1D-40EF-A535-F8B1491FCCCF.jpg

WECO - not necessarily in the same class as an Anchor marked Plumb of course. The WECO tools I come across tend to be red.
4E21B70A-8D10-4D37-838D-12DB3ED49564.jpg

Plumb did have other color schemes at one point but I really couldn't tell you if it was a "paint" finish (never seen one in person):

1959%20vintage%20ad%20PLUMB%20Hammers%20Priced%20for%20every%20purse%20-081613.jpg

Plumb's shout out to the U of O?

Phantomknives, share your results if you end up detailing it :thumbsup:

Back