Small Game Skinning

Looking at starting hunting small game for the first time this coming year. Just got a 22 LR I'm pretty excited about.

I'm looking at buying a Case Trapper or Case Mini Trapper to do the deed. I'm going to start with squirrel and rabbit.

What would you guys suggest?

I prefer a fixed blade for hunting because of the knife cleaning problem of a folder. Cold Steel has a small Pendleton Mini Hunter with decent steel . Check that and other brands . Much or those types you can do most of the work by just pulling !

Rabbits are easily skinned with any sharp object.. I have been using a fixed blade for ever.. I hunt with a friend who skins bunnies not using a knife at all... And squirrels are a whole different deal.. Google how to best skin those.. John

fixed blade

I like some of the models in the Benchmade Hunt series. Even though I suggested fixed blade, Benchmade has a Grizzly Creek folder (with gut hook) that seems like it would do the job well.

The Case Trapper is a classic knife that has processed countless game animals over time. The biggest choice is finding the handle you like best and deciding if you want stainless or not. It wouldn't be my first choice but I know and respect several hunters who have carried one for decades.

ESEE Izula II is a good size knife to use on small game animal, I also use it to skin out deer and wild hogs.

The Case Trapper is a classic knife that has processed countless game animals over time. The biggest choice is finding the handle you like best and deciding if you want stainless or not. It wouldn't be my first choice but I know and respect several hunters who have carried one for decades.

Thank you. Do you think the trapper size is better or the mini trapper?

I usually use a case muskrat or medium stockman, with oo problem. Just clean them with warm soapy water and rinse.
They are easier to pack around than a fixed blade or large trapper

Personally, I think the full sized trapper is better as an all a-rounder small game hunting. I used a Case two blade jack knife for years for small game field dressing chores and skinning. Many prefer a small fixed blade due to the ease of cleaning the fixed blade.

I love knives and use them often skinning and cutting up small game, but the easiest and fastest way is to use game shears.

For small game I go with smaller, thinner blades. Look up rabbit skinning on YouTube and you'll see there's no caping involved as the skin usually comes off in a single piece in one pull. (Apologies if you're skilled at this already.) The thinner blades also quarter and section small game best. I've used a Buck 301 stockman to good effect on birds and rabbits. Cleanup is easy. A Case in a comparable design will be a good choice. I'd go with carbon over stainless, based on my experience with Opinels, but cleanup is worry free with stainless, as you know.

Zieg

Another point: Sheath knives are also easy to handle when gloved. Have to take off my gloves to open the smaller stockman patterns. But if your weather is temperate, I guess you're OK.

Zieg

For rabbits and squirrels (assuming you aren't keeping the skins) anything sharp and with a point will do.

Make a nick in the skin on the back of the animal, insert both thumbs, pull apart. Cut around the neck and twist off the head. Cut off the feet. Open the abdomen and pull the guts. Done.

Game shears make the process faster and easier in that they can just cut off the head and feet without having to find the joints. Or just use a clever if you have a stump handy.

I prefer a small fixed blade because it's easier to keep the blade clean. I'm an avid small game hunter myself and designed this knife specifically for this task. I've had other makers make my pattern/design for several years before I got into knife making myself and it's been a real pleasure to watch this pattern change over time. Literally everyone that I've sold these to thus far has called me back and told me how much they enjoy it. Mine is a little rough as it's the first knife I've ever made but here she is. I have a couple extra blanks of these in CPM 3V steel that I'm working on handles for right now too: if your interested shoot me a PM. These are already ground and heat treated. I just need to finish the metal out and slap some scales on them.

IMG_3941_zps3ln6iwwn.jpg

thanks for this Mack. heckuva price. just sent GL a message. cheers. :thumbup:

I love his knives. They simply look like they will work. Please let me(us) know how you like it.

I prefer a small fixed blade because it's easier to keep the blade clean. I'm an avid small game hunter myself and designed this knife specifically for this task. I've had other makers make my pattern/design for several years before I got into knife making myself and it's been a real pleasure to watch this pattern change over time. Literally everyone that I've sold these to thus far has called me back and told me how much they enjoy it. Mine is a little rough as it's the first knife I've ever made but here she is. I have a couple extra blanks of these in CPM 3V steel that I'm working on handles for right now too: if your interested shoot me a PM. These are already ground and heat treated. I just need to finish the metal out and slap some scales on them.

IMG_3941_zps3ln6iwwn.jpg
not to redirect the original post -- but I just wanted to say that knife looks awesome. if you don't mind, send me a price on one like that.

Back