Small Sebenza Full Back Spacer...

I was requested by an individual to design and machine several carbon fiber and black canvas Micarta full back spacers for his small Sebenza. It was an interesting enough project that I decided to tackle it.

First I needed to disassemble the knife and scan the presentation side slab and blade. Once the scan files were imported into my CAD application... I then located the critical landmarks and traced the profiles. I then designed the full length back spacer using the CAD drawings of the blade and slab to insure sufficient clearance between the back spacer and the closed blade.

It was immediately apparent that the back spacer's depth along the spine was going to require a separate fluting operation to create a linear clearance slot for the blade's belly. That's not all that difficult… just fiddly and will require a custom jig.

I wrote the Gcode and tested the output using scrap G10. Made the necessary tweaks and locked down the code. I machined the carbon fiber spacers first. I was using a .0394" end mill and broke three bits during the machining. I moved on to the Micarta and machined those without any issues. Lastly I needed to create a setup jig and machine the linear blade clearance slots. That went well.

Once all the machining was finished all the back spacers were hand finished for a mic'd thickness of .147" using #600 emory cloth and a surfacing plate.

Et viola'…

5qBxml1h.jpg

ZGHVD10h.jpg

1RIwWfXh.jpg

I9Bzf8dh.jpg

UZtbvQSh.jpg

SkPlEqmh.jpg

OCkZjYih.jpg

WHS0BP0h.jpg

2DocwGWh.jpg

Very impressive work! Your explanation was very interesting and informative. Thanks!!!

I really like that. Can you explain to me what keeps the back spacer in place, instead of it hinging open, if you get what I mean? Does it rely on the lanyard pin?

I really like that. Can you explain to me what keeps the back spacer in place, instead of it hinging open, if you get what I mean? Does it rely on the lanyard pin?

Same question here. I don't see the capture point for the forward location other than it resting on the stop pin.

Otherwise, I agree with others- it adds some slick dimensionality to the titanium slabs, in addition to being practical as a guard.

Wow, you did a great job, really nice.. Really he adds "depth" to a great knife as the Sebenza..

YES… the lanyard pin prevents any hinging action. Without capturing the lanyard pin the spacer would have a single point of fixation and capable of rotation.

With regards to the stop pin as the resting point for the forward end of the spacer… there is no way to implement any fixed capture. The formed rest is much more solid and secure than stopping the spacer short of the pin and having it cantilevered.
pL6Ra5q.jpg

Can't wait to get em! Steve is truly a pleasure to work with and his work is awesome.

Had this designed off of inspiration from Brad Southard's, but just wanted to see a full length spacer.

I've been using another full length hand made spacer for over two years with this same design over the stop pin, the spacer never moves. With the screw and lanyard pin securing and pressure from the scales it's super solid. However now to have them perfectly machined to match the perfect machining in the Sebenza, very cool.

I dig Brad's, but think the part of the blade (in closed position) that benefits most from a spacer is the heel. CRK does a great job of packing a ton of blade into the handle, but depending on blade age the edge can be very close to the handle spine near the heel. Went through a couple designs over the years, but this one was definitely the winner. Took me a while to find someone willing to take it on, but was lucky to find Steve.

Thanks again!

It won't work with a large because of the non-stepped lanyard pin. Unless you found a way around that issue.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

MXG Gear makes a stepped pin for the large. However Steve had mentioned this being a one off, so I don't know if a large would be in the cards. I believe southard used a custom made pin for his.

Very nice work. Much more accurate than I ever could do in the past.

Back