Smaller Deer Creek

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
Bottom knife is one inch shorter then the standard size.
Scott

newdc.jpg

I really like the looks of that one, what are the other specs (handle length, blade length, blade thickness, steel)? Is it for sale? Any chance of a spine shot on it? Great design!

This one is a test piece for hunting season. The standard DC is bigger then I like for a hunting knife although it could be used. It's 8 1/2" overall, 4" blade, 3 3/4" cutting edge, 4 1/2" handle. 5/32" thick by 1 1/2" wide, CPM 154 steel.
Scott

Looks like a great all purpose knife as well, if you decide to offer this model I might order one... Would CPM S35 VN also be an option? Do you think it is better/different than CPM 154? How do they both compare to A2 (in addition to being stainless of course).

Thats nice ! Did you ever get around to making
That supersized deer creek someone asked you
About ?

Frank

that's awesome scott. once i got the UNK in hand, and had a chance to check it out, i was going to talk to you about whether you'd be willing to make a slightly smaller deer creek. i guess that answers that!

i love that blade shape. and that handle looks comfy. i hope i get to find out sometime. ;)

Frank, never did make a larger size but I am working on a customer requested straight spine, 6 1/4" blade, with a guard Deer Creek.
Sounds good TPVT.
Scott

Looks like a great all purpose knife as well, if you decide to offer this model I might order one... Would CPM S35 VN also be an option? Do you think it is better/different than CPM 154? How do they both compare to A2 (in addition to being stainless of course).

I will be offering this size. CPM S35VN is an option. I like both. CPM 154 is actually tougher then A2 according to Crucible's chart for toughness. S35 runs equal to O1 in toughness. Don't underestimate the CPM SS.
Scott

Interesting, so the only downside of using cpm154 in a large chopper would be the associated cost of the steel?

That will work great for hunting season! Very similar to my Ky Woodsman in size and shape, and I really like it on deer.

Interesting, so the only downside of using cpm154 in a large chopper would be the associated cost of the steel?

Yes! I made a 1/4" thick by 2" wide Big Boar Tusker for a customer in CPM S35VN. A 3 foot bar was over 200 bucks!
Scott

Hi Guys, My name is Bill, I'm the customer Scott is speaking of who ordered the larger deer creek above. I just want to add my .02 and pretty much echo what everyone is saying about Scott, rarely these days do you find his level of interaction, which is most welcome. Scott, you keep building them, I"ll keep buying them, LOL. Take care, Bill

Back