Smokestacks and the Whatnot

Have you put it down for more than a few minutes, yet? I bet it feels better than it looks and it looks damn good.

It really does! It's got my monkey paw prints all over it, I keep pulling it out of the drawer and start grinning!

Funny, I grin when pulling it out of the drawers too! :confused:

Really nice knife, well done, John!

A close up shot of leather, bronze, micarta and mesquite.
IMG_20170520_013922.jpg
Black leather .100"
Bronze .008"
Micarta .125"

I love the look of the bronze.

Last edited:
Still have a lot of shaping to do in the handle to give her some nice curves.
IMG_20170520_105041-1340x1936.jpg

HOLY COW!!! You're getting good at this.

You're definitely developing your style, John! Gonna be another looker for Sure!

One of the things I love about the Whatnot is the ample handle, feels great in the hand without being clumsy. I suspect it's going to handle great with gloves on as well because of that same taper of the handle down to the guard that all but makes the knife stay in your hand !

HOLY COW!!! You're getting good at this.
Thanks Mack. if I start going backwards, give me a boot to the arse.

You're definitely developing your style, John! Gonna be another looker for Sure!

One of the things I love about the Whatnot is the ample handle, feels great in the hand without being clumsy. I suspect it's going to handle great with gloves on as well because of that same taper of the handle down to the guard that all but makes the knife stay in your hand !
For such a smooth handle on that, your hand seems to find a solid grip pretty easy I thought. It always bugs me when you find a knife with a nice blade shape and great grinds, and then a short, blocky handle that doesn't have any shape to it.

As far as finding a style goes, I don't know if I'd recognize any similarity between any two of my knives! I feel like I'm all over the place, but i'm ok with that.

Exactly! (On the block handle part). Here is yours compared to the Blackjack:
20170520_132659-3024x2268.jpg
The thick part of the edge of your hand and palm just pushes your thumb and forefinger nicely towards the guard. Nice fit for sure.

Ok, this is weird but that picture reminds me of two movies.

The Blackjack is nice and classic, but almost robotic like Star Wars.
The Whatnot is classy, but with smoke and danger, like Casablanca.

Thanks Mack. if I start going backwards, give me a boot to the arse.

For such a smooth handle on that, your hand seems to find a solid grip pretty easy I thought. It always bugs me when you find a knife with a nice blade shape and great grinds, and then a short, blocky handle that doesn't have any shape to it.

As far as finding a style goes, I don't know if I'd recognize any similarity between any two of my knives! I feel like I'm all over the place, but i'm ok with that.
I shall always give you my honest opinion. Don't give me a reason to give you a bad review.

That's looking great! You fast!

Gotta ask, how do you figure your angles to cut your center piece of wood?

They match up with the angle of the guard, I dry fit the compressed leather pieces and then fit the wood piece until it matches up when it's slid on in either direction.

They match up with the angle of the guard, I dry fit the compressed leather pieces and then fit the wood piece until it matches up when it's slid on in either direction.
Ah! Thanks!
I always overlook the KISS method!

Couldn't have her too polished up, I'll get a better picture but the tang and end plate are textured.
IMG_20170520_223142-1287x966.jpg

Back