Smokestacks and the Whatnot

SWEET! I'm likin' the shape of the guard! Figure out a color pattern for the handle yet? Black and blue? ( there's probably a joke in that line somewhere)

I thought about...

Guard
Maroon 1/8"
Blue Denim 3/8"
Maroon 1/8"
Natural Leather
Maroon1/8"
Bronze end plate .07"

The maroon and the dark blue might look good, or it might look like Captain America lol. I have a lot of thin brass and nickel and bronze, I might throw some of that in too. I Imight lose the maroon, but I really want to try the blue.

Seeing Melvin cutting his sammich the other day with the Red Meadow staked skinner reminded me how much I liked mine. I was cutting some chickens up for the grill over the weekend and this thing is just the bomb. It fit the hand just right and cuts like a dream. ;)

Johnnys Skinner.jpg

Actually, I think the maroon and blue would go pretty nice together.

If you use blue with the maroon and it doesn't work out, and someone asks if you'd do it all over again, you could say, "Maybe once in a blue maroon...' (We'll be here until Tuesday, folks)...

Great picture Scott! Makes me happy the stacked leathers are getting some use! That's my only finger groove and I thought it turned out pretty comfy.

Thanks for the input Scott H. I need to just try it out and see, do you think I should put thin NS spacers in between the micarta, or thin bronze? The NS might look nice or might make it pop too much. I'm thinking bronze might tone it down and make for a nice subtle look. Since its a dark blue and maroon it might work out.

That's terrible Shel!

(but I have to admit that I chuckled:thumbsup:)

I've been mixing nickel silver and brass spacers on some of my knives lately and I think the brass color makes the red stand out a little more. I've done a few with all N.S. spacers and I think I like the look of both together the best.

If I were to build a knife with blue and maroon spacers I think I would use thicker blue spacers than the maroon and I would compliment the maroon with bronze spacers and not the blue with N.S. spacers. I would try and use the blue as a back ground accent and use the red and bronze as the actual theme, I hope I'm making some sense here.

I see what you mean Scott, I just don't have the eye yet when it comes to spacers. I'm going to add nickel and bronze spacers in between the micarta.

The maroon and blue will darken up a lot, it may look nice with the leather. I need to taper the pieces a little more to help the curve of the handle. The end will have maroon micarta and bronze.
IMG_20170602_212404-1632x1165.jpg

I can see this in two pictures in my head, one looks amazing and the other looks silly. Cross your fingers!

I'd go with the amazing if I were you.

As a reference (for the Bowie thread blade length discussion) this is 7" from tip to guard and a hair over 12" OAL. I'll try to get a picture of it in hand.

The subforum turned One today. Happy Birthday everybody:thumbsup:

Back