Snow Shovels?

I am on a small mountain near Vancouver BC, we have had a long snow season about 3 feet deep and still snowing. My car is buried and I am into snow shoeing.

I am trying to convince my wife that I need a good compact snow shovel. My argument is it can serve triple duty: dig out the car, build a snowman or snow cave for my son, and can be carried during our snow shoeing trips in case our son falls in deep snow and I have to dig him out or we have to build an emergency shelter.

We are on a budget, I am being a gear-a-holic? :D

Thanks

Craigslist or the MEC Gear Swap website are your best bets. I scored a never used Black Diamond avalanche shovel for $25, about 50 less than retail. It fits in a small pack yet expands to full size.

If you spend time in the backcountry, then grab yourself the MEC combo avalanche probe and snow shovel...those are MUST HAVE ITEMS for the backcountry anyway and the combo is a cheap deal on some quality gear.

If you guys go into the backcountry at all, you really have to have a shovel, for sure.

Its safety gear, you should get one. The fact that you can play with it is beside the point.

I have always had luck heading to the military surplus store and grabbing a folding military shovel. Fits in the trunk, on the backpack, and is good for everything from dirt to horse dung. I have seen some guys tack-weld extra metal on these though to be used in snow (makes them wider), and while I have never used one like this myself nor have I seen one used with the addons, the theory seems sound. The extra weight is something that sticks out in my mind as something to consider, however. Oh, these shovels ususally cost about $15.00 or so used.

i have to pitch in with the fellow vancouverites, check out mec. beyond the hippy crap a few employees like to crank out its actually a really great store. keep in mind you'll have to make a one time 5 dollar membership which will be donated to maintaining canada's parks and wilderness.

here is a link to the page with all the snow shovels available at mec:

http://search.mec.ca/?Ne=1000&Ntt=shovel&N=10+1423&bmUID=1231143711857

good luck on your hunt.

JC

Craigslist or the MEC Gear Swap website are your best bets. I scored a never used Black Diamond avalanche shovel for $25, about 50 less than retail. It fits in a small pack yet expands to full size.

I have a Black Diamond aluminum shovel that seems to be no longer in production. It has a telescopic handle and aluminum scoop. It sees a lot of use every winter whenever we get stuck with my van. I has digged a few snow caves also in the Alps.

If I was to buy another one, I would look for all metal construction and D handle (allows to use mittens instead of gloves like a T handle).

Mikel

Holy shidt those prices! :eek:

Yeah, I know it is pricey but the these are made of Aluminum while the military ones are metal and heavier and smaller.

Jca21, I am a member already. btw, classes are canceled today and I am snowed in. Looks like more snow shoeing and no statistics.

I used to carry a snow shovel all the time in back country

Used it for sleeping in snow caves and snow trenches

i got a kids snow shovel at the local hardware store that works pretty well for building snow caves etc, and its not too heavy. its short, and the scoop isn't too big, but its a trade off with ease of carry.

you can get a basic wood handled snow shovel for more serious shoveling at a walmart or hardware store.

Yeah, I know it is pricey but the these are made of Aluminum while the military ones are metal and heavier and smaller.

Jca21, I am a member already. btw, classes are canceled today and I am snowed in. Looks like more snow shoeing and no statistics.

LOL, sounds like its going to be one dreadful day for you :)

good luck on the snow shovel find

I carry a spetsnaz shovel if I snow camp, but admittedly, I am not in avalanche country. It doubles as a half baked axe which comes in handy for shelter building.

I used a Voile a couple of years ago, when taken down they fit perfectly under the seat of our big Skandik wide tracks, after two long Norwegian winters and digging out lots of stuck snowmobiles, (they got lots of use) they were all going stong, I think we had about six of them, and I think it was the Telepro model shown here with the "D" handle, $37 from MEC. Definitely worth the money.

2404192_v1_m56577569830705716.jpg

While it's not a classic shovel, you might want to try a Snow Claw- http://www.snowclaw.com/

I've had one of these for a few years and you can move a lot of snow with it. It works great for digging caves and piling up snow. I also carry it with me while snow shoeing - it's really light and it attaches very easily to any pack. Best part is it only cost $14 at Campmor.

Those are the very two I was going to suggest! Mckrob, that Volle is the one I have in my truck as part of my winter kit. I haven't carried it while snowshoeing or winter hiking, though. When snowshoeing, I have a Snow Claw like antzam linked to. I'm planning a survival snow camping trip in the next couple weeks. Maybe I'll build a snow cave.

-- FLIX

^^^^you realize that is a snow saw.
My bad for posting on a necro'd thread. Duh.

Last edited:
Back