Some of my sheaths

I got into leatherwork a few years ago and do mostly belts and holsters but these are some of the sheaths I've completed.

The latest is this rawhide sheath for a Green River Hunter that I aged. Deer rawhide, deerskin fringe over an 8-9oz veg-tan liner. Antique trade beads, aged tin cones and brown horse hair. Stitched with artificial sinew. Bone handle knife has some file work and patina.

IMG_9181b.jpg

Elephant hide for a custom ivory/damascus bowie by Russell White. Toggle is warthog tusk.

IMG_9067b.jpg

IMG_9074b.jpg

Elephant hide again for a Kim Ralston spey pattern.

IMG_7642b.jpg

Beaded and fringed sheath for an ML Knives hunter. Veg-tan 8-9oz body with crosshatch pattern, deerskin cuff with 8/0 pound beads, aged hairpipe, tin cones, horse hair, antique brass spots, a few antique but mostly modern beads. Double whip stitch mainseam with artificial sinew.

IMG_7404b.jpg

IMG_7481b.jpg

Last edited:
Those are pretty dang cool. How is the elephant hide to work with? I haven't tried using it yet.

I particularly like the beaded/fringed sheath for the ML Knives hunter. Very cool.

Thanks! The elephant hide is relatively easy to work with. It's a bit spongy and stretchy and so it's a little tougher to get a good edge on it. It really needs a solid glue foundation all the way to the edge. Some folks skive the edges but I haven't yet seen the need. I made those sheaths as part of a complete rig and aside from the volume of hand-stitching involved, I can't complain and didn't waste any.

IMG_9037b.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice work Craig. Your period work is excellent. I see you know Jerry VanAmburg. That Elephant is/was pretty well localized as far as availability is concerned.

Paul

Thanks but I've never heard of him. I've been getting my exotics from Roje'.

Very nice work. Thanks for sharing your work, please keep doing so. The gun rig is great!

Nice to see your work over here Craig...i already drool over the revolver and holster pics lol

Those sheaths really are awesome. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Thanks also for answering a question that I had been wanting to ask on here. I have been trying to figure out what type of threading is used around the edges on the style sheaths like you made for that GR Hunter. Artificial Sinew. I'm going to have to pick some up.

I just found out about the GR Hunter last weekend. I think it's history is pretty cool. I have four arriving in the mail today. Two of them are for presents.

Thanks all for the kind words. :)

Thanks also for answering a question that I had been wanting to ask on here. I have been trying to figure out what type of threading is used around the edges on the style sheaths like you made for that GR Hunter. Artificial Sinew. I'm going to have to pick some up.
I've been hassled by the "stitch counters" for not using real sinew but for most period work, you can't beat the artificial sinew. I would only use real sinew if a customer requested it and it would absolutely come at a premium.

Back