Some pics of the new SALT 2 (Yellow SE)

Fred Sanford

Gold Member
Hey folks,

I ordered this guy from GPKnives a couple days ago and it arrived today. I removed the clip, stripped the pain, and then heat anodized it since it's titanium. I love this thing. I used to have a couple of Salt 1's and Pacific Salts but I got rid of them all. I really wanted the new one since it is linerless but has the D4 handle. Great upgrade on an already awesome knife. It is already in the pocket.

The Delica 4 is a ZDP-189 model that I've had for a few years and I removed the hump from the tip and rounded the spine somewhat. It also has a pretty thin edge and is a monster cutter. The clip on the D4 I simply stripped the paint on and left it as is.

If you look close you can see that the new linerless Salt 2 is a bit thicker than the D4. It's really close to perfect. I will most likely grind the hump off of the tip of the Salt 2 as well and make it more of a splinter picker type tip. I really like to have a fine tip to do detail work.

Side note, having some Zima tonight. Last time I had that stuff was in college about 20 years ago. ;)

Enjoy...

SsXgo1u.jpg

zaxVc4V.jpg

5UkL7jD.jpg

iDpWY6Y.jpg

RNbxk66.jpg

OvBMzcx.jpg

LuXGOhN.jpg

uzb179p.jpg

Thanks for the pics and description. I've been thinking about picking one of these up for my winter EDC (for opening salt bags). I'm liking the new version changes.

Looks good. I like the additional screws holding it together behind the lock bar. With that said, this post prompted me to order an original Pacific Salt before the 2's take over.

Nice work David, that's what a Ti clip is supposed to look like.
Also, like the D4.

Here are a few pics of the modified tip. I didn't go as far as I did on the ZDP Delica due to the hollow grind. I just wanted to get the tip to look less like a sheepsfoot. I did the grinding by hand. Started with 80 grit and went to 150 grit and finished with 200 grit on a mouse pad. Took about 20 minutes.

Uz4IPKU.jpg

qb9VJKY.jpg

Aww man, I hate they did away with the single screw clip on the Salt 1. I really liked that.

Great looking blades though!

excellent work! :thumbsup:

Thanks brother!

David,

Any idea if the blade from a Delica could be swapped in to that handle?

They look identical in width but I've not had the Salt 2 apart yet so I'm not sure.

What did you use to strip the paint on the D4 clip?

I just a spray can of paint stripper from Home Depot. I spray it all over the clip while it's on a paper plate outside and let it sit for 15 mins. Then the paint just comes right off. I wipe it off with a paper towel. After that I just wash it off with soap and water.

Does it feel like it has more torsional rigidity than the older Salts?

Not sure. I think it feels about the same.

Thanks for the pics!!! The reground tip looks good too.

Thanks! :)

A few more pics. Since the last pics, I took the spine down a bit more but kept it somewhat curved so that it looked a bit like a Caly 3 blade. I couldn't do this with the Delica because there is not enough "hump" to make it work. I also polished the spine. This is turning out to be a real favorite of mine quickly.

oYbctLn.jpg

I know how much we all like pics so hopefully nobody minds. ;-)

Last edited:
David, how are you liking the thicker handles?

Absolutely love them. I would be just fine if they ever made the Delica handles that thick. It's not much but it feels easier to hold. The Delica is not hard to index in your hand but it makes it even easier with a bit of thickness.

I'm a fan of thicker everything. Thick burgers, thick bacon, and thick women. ;)

Last edited:
Back