some projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's some of my projects in progress (not all of them)

project-1.jpg

On top is the new pattern necker. I'll have completed photos up once the sheath tweaking is done. This one is an order. It has a great full round handle that's super comfortable. Clocks in at 7 inches overall with a 3 inch scandi ground blade. This is the one I was talking about before being the "whittler" to go with a larger leuku pattern as a bushcraft set. Of course, it's a fine bird and trout, as well. It's pretty much done except for a bit more stropping.

Second is an argentine lignum vitae handled bushcrafter, and below that is one in ipe, both are also orders. Both also need about a half hour of final work on the handles. they are rough sanded at 400 grit right now. I need to remove a few lingering scratches and give them a solid unidirectional final snading. Then bluing and oiling and they are done. Koyote girl has them in the sheath pile for initial water forming.

project-2.jpg

project-3.jpg

project-4.jpg

Some other stuff- top of the first photo is a through tang leuku pattern bushcrafter that's sitting around because of orders. I'll get that one finished up here are soon as I get the ordered through tang traditional leukus ready. Just do a 2 day set of getting a half dozen through tangs set up.

A third spanish dirk, done forging and rough grinding, I have to finalize the tang and drill holes, take the whole thing down to 320 grit and heat treat. I leave my tipe blunt like that and then work the final shape after heat treating. That one is a 12 inch blade.

There's a nicholson file single edged dagger, it's on 400 grit and may be a while before it is done, i'm trying to mirror it out and match it up with a guard and butt of 316 stainless from some 1/4 plate stock I have.

A little bird and trout is in there, it's all done except I need to redo the rear pin hole, which is fine since I want to take it out to 3/16 for a thin lanyard hole as well. it's not visible but has some nice spine filing and is a scandi grind finished out to 600. I'll buff that out some or maybe just push on to 800 and 1000.

There's also a big rough forged kindjal style blade in 5160. It's got a few more forge trips to go. 18 inch blade, and I'm going to work it out as a full tang style.

I love bird and trout knives! At one time I wanted to make the pocket nessie into my "art knife", now it's one of the artistic variations on the bird and trout. There's so much that can be done within the basic idea- the bird and trout is one of those real classic American knives- with the bowie, drop point hunter, green river, and stockman slipjoint.

It's a great canvas to work with, and probably, honestly, when you get right down to it, the single most useful small knife you can own. A puukko makes a fine B&T, as do the small nessies, if your style goes that way.

To me it's the Gentleman's EDC, along with the finer (in profile) Wharnies. I have tons of work to do, and need to keep the orders coming in, but I seem to always have a little B&T project on my desk for hand rubbing while I'm messing around at the computer or filing receipts.

I do a fair number of them in scandi but I still think a really thin convex is the best.

honestly, when you get right down to it, the single most useful small knife you can own.

Too true. It's funny, I have several smaller knives, and one that is called a Bird & Trout, but
I don't know that I've got a really good B&T. Need to rectify that since I like to angle for the
finned beasties. I like the fine point you've got on that one. I think a B&T needs a bit of point.
Of course, I'm also thinking about a nice Wharnie too.... ;)

Last edited:
A real good B&T is hard to spec out. I, for example, and more into catfish and rabbit - so a bit heavier and broader blade than is ideal for dove and small fly fish type of knife. I'd also angle more towards a bit of clip or drop/spear on the catfish and bunny blade, while the fly man might tend towards a straight spine or trailing point, even. A dedicated bunny/squirrel/coon hunter would end up better off with the pocket nessie, IMO- and the extrem drop point two finger neckers I make have been used to rapidly take care of field dressing and packing out all the way up to whitetail deer size!

Incidentally, the wharnie is coming along. I've got a good forged rough and am messing with handle layouts.

Last edited:
No rush; I think I've got something with an edge around here.

The more I look at that Bird and Trout the better I like it. What's the blade width? I think narrow is good here. Gives it some elegance.

hair under 3/4. rounding the butt a bit for comfort and she's got ipe drying on her now

Those look great. I too like the bird and trout pattern. I am loving your Spanish Dirk too. Your blades look very classy Christof, and have a flavor all their own. The leatherwork is fantastic too.

Those look great. I too like the bird and trout pattern. I am loving your Spanish Dirk too. Your blades look very classy Christof, and have a flavor all their own. The leatherwork is fantastic too.

Well, I hope you like the bird and trout :D

WORST PHOTOS EVER.

The knife has a tip, I promise. it was raining hard and I'm an outdoor photographer, so.... Anyway, it's 1000 times better in person. Forged 1084, .23 to .16ish distal taper, flat grind, convex final. Flax cord underwrap with 550 over. This is the evolution of my shop knife. It's a fine piece to hold.

146-1.jpg

146-2.jpg

Hey, Jake:

(scratches in first pic are grease streaks. it's 800 grit and buffed finish.)
149-1.jpg

149-2.jpg

149-3.jpg

149-4.jpg

Tiny, 3 inch blade, VERY FINE EDGE. this is a bird and trout only kind of knife. no batoning. NO BATONING. it's like a 6 degree scandi on each side with a light convex final stropped in. my fingers say it's dangerous sharp.

Man what a great quail, and fish knife that will make. I am sure it will see alot of field use on the birds and fish. He will love it. I love it. Very very good work, I cant wait to get some time with it. I am going Quail hunting next week, you think it will be here in time for a review on a hunt?

J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back