Some Thoughts on Youtuber Nick Shabazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gripe with any reviewer doing a bad or damaging reviews on any product, is that if there are problems they don't contact the manufacturer or seller before doing the review. Duds happen with every company. I think as a reviewer you have a responsibility to give a maker/manufacturer/dealer the chance to make it right before you trash a product.

Since we are talking about Nick, we will use him as an example. Nick has 17,000 plus subscribers. Lets say he does a harsh review on a a knife that sells for $300. That review gets 6000 views, and out of those 6000, 3000 were people who were very seriously considering buying that knife. Thanks to that one negative review Nick just took $900,000 in potential sales away from that Company. He did all of that with out ever giving that company a chance to respond to his complaints or fix the problem.

I am picking on Nick but he is just one of a bunch that do the same thing. I would love to see Nick change and lead the way on this. Contact a companies customer service, or the dealer and give feedback as to the initial problem and how or if it were fixed.

^ I pretty much agree with this. :thumbsup:

I rarely watch any knife review video's (with the exception of Dealer's- like Blade HQ). FWIW: I don't let a YT reviewer influence me, regarding what knives I like, or which one's I'll buy.

As for this YT reviewer being discussed: :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

I had never listened to him before.

I don't mean to be rude, but I clicked on one of his video's & in all honesty, all I could tolerate was about 15 seconds of listening to his voice. Straight up, it was nauseating for me, and I couldn't click the video off fast enough.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but perhaps this may have something to do with triggering a repressed memory I have/had. That voice, reminded me of this loud mouthed, obnoxious guy from Jersey, who was assigned to our Seabee battalion.

Anyway, I'm sure he's probably a nice guy (at least he likes knives :thumbsup:); but if I'm going to listen to a YT reviewer, it'll be somebody like that guy named, "Carter." He at least has a genuine, cool sounding voice, and doesn't seem phony.

Just my opinion.

Nick has very informative and interesting videos..... Buuuut like many others I find his voice unbearable. Why does it bother me so much? Hell if I know, his isn't the first. Like nails on a chalkboard. I enjoyed the Medford teardown because he switched to a more bearable Russian accent (or "his friend" did ;) ).

I've been collecting knives for most of my life and I've never even thought about taping the blade during disassembly.

Never cut myself during, either.
Ever tear down a 477-1? I had to tape that one. It's really not that bad, once you give up trying to get that little nut off of the pivot using paper clips and whatever else you've got around. You really have to just make a tool for it.

On to NickShabazz NickShabazz :

I don't generally watch knife videos on YouTube. They're either way too long, full of erroneous crap or just downright silly. I really like Nick's videos though. I almost always agree with him and when I don't I still appreciate his take on whatever the subject happens to be.

The patreon thing would annoy me if he began and ended every video with a plug for it, but he doesn't. The information is available for those that want to give money to him and the rest of us can just sit and enjoy the videos for free. I'm ok with it. I sure wish people were lining up to give me money.

Keep up the good work Nick. I'm a fan I guess. As much as I'm a fan of anything else.

I wonder if Nick's throwing his voice for anonymity. Thanks OP for turning me onto his name as I think he's my favorite reviewer.

I wonder if Nick's throwing his voice for anonymity. Thanks OP for turning me onto his name as I think he's my favorite reviewer.
I've never been to New York or Jersey (I think that's what accent is?) but even then it sounds a little exaggerated. I daresay it's STRONGER in his newer vids too.

I think that he is entertaining. I watch knowing that he does this for a reason. His reviews, I believe are intended to strengthen his viewership and his channel. I don't mind adds on YT, but he also does Patreon, so he does have a lot to gain from gathering positive support from viewers (I really like his new Omega timepiece that he recently purchased). I feel like he gets in early on a trend and gives it a little push. Its actually pretty smart.

What I don't quite understand is his followers willingness to give him free knives and money. I know that there are many generous people out there and that is fantastic, but my choice is to support family and certain charities, not internet personalities. I also see a pretty strong correlation between his strong recommendations and knife popularity. If I were a knife maker I would pay him for positive reviews (or negative reviews on competition), because it actually seems to work from what I have seen. I feel that after he calls a knife a gem, the activity on the trading section increases for that model. I guess many people treat this hobby like investments and he is sort of like a Jim Cramer.

I still remember the benchmade Rep joining this forum and getting attacked. He would ask for specific problems he could fix and he was blasted with YT links. Not really Nicks fault, but he does have a lot of influence.

Anyways, I watch his videos, don't give him any money, and use his videos for entertainment and understand that it's one persons opinion and not fact. I like watching his videos very much. They bring me much joy.

Last edited:
I think that he is entertaining. I watch knowing that he does this for a reason. His reviews, I believe are intended to strengthen his viewership and his channel. I don't mind adds on YT, but he also does Patreon, so he does have a lot to gain from gathering positive support from viewers (I really like his new Omega timepiece that he recently purchased). I feel like he gets in early on a trend and gives it a little push. Its actually pretty smart.

What I don't quite understand is his followers willingness to give him free knives and money. I know that there are many generous people out there and that is fantastic, but my choice is to support family and certain charities, not internet personalities. I also see a pretty strong correlation between his strong recommendations and knife popularity. If I were a knife maker I would pay him for positive reviews (or negative reviews on competition), because it actually seems to work from what I have seen. I feel that after he calls a knife a gem, the activity on the trading section increases for that model. I guess many people treat this hobby like investments and he is sort of like a Jim Cramer.

I still remember the benchmade Rep joining this forum and getting attacked. He would ask for specific problems he could fix and he was blasted with YT links. Not really Nicks fault, but he does have a lot of influence.

Anyways, I watch his videos, don't give him any money, and use his videos as entertainment and opinion not information. I like watching his videos very much. They bring me much Joy.
Nick cannot be paid for. he gives his honest review. if its bad he will say so (or one of the many options he listed in his post a few posts up)... but he cannot be paid for a good review or a bad review on others.

i want to send him my microtech anax, cause i know it will be a negative review (cause its not a Nick kinda knife), but he wont have anything to do with microtech lol. but it would be very entertaining and funny, and i really like that entertainment.

ive sent Nick something to review in the past, and id love to send him more knives if he see's one he wants to review, cause i enjoy his take on it. the good the bad and the ugly.

He is f'ing hilarious. Watch the Microtech Sigil review where he craps all over Anthony Marfione. Good stuff!

Ugly Starts at 12:00

I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this was answered but the video has been taken down. Wonder if Marfione got his attorneys involved like he did with that blogger?

Regarding Nick's reviews, I very much enjoy them and am a subscriber. The good, bad, ugly format is great and if you have owned enough knives you can figure out for yourself if his gripes would matter to you or not when making purchasing decisions.

The only complaint I have is with disassembly videos. I know the sebenza video is one that got a lot of complaints because it was just the wrong way to take apart the knife. IIRC he might have even taken it apart again in another video after the issue was raised. "How to" videos are different from review videos because people are more likely to take them as being correct. So I just think one has to be more careful, have a lot of caveats and warnings to viewers regarding these methods. Other than that Nick does a great job.

Didn't know he took the vid down and would love to hear from him as to why.
Is this going to become a trend?? Reviewers afraid to say anything negative??

I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this was answered but the video has been taken down. Wonder if Marfione got his attorneys involved like he did with that blogger?

Didn't know he took the vid down and would love to hear from him as to why.
That and the poster above me said he wouldn't accept a microtech to review.

Hah. No conspiracy theories or threats are needed to explain this one. Out of an overabundance of caution, when news of this lawsuit first broke, I chose to remove from my channel the only video featuring a Microtech knife, my review of the Marfione/Munroe Sigil. Legally speaking, the video was unproblematic, but with the lawsuit going, it seemed like the most cautious thing to do. Remember, reviewing is something I do for enjoyment, not my day job. No sense sailing into storms.

That and the poster above me said he wouldn't accept a microtech to review.

Actually, that policy was quietly in place well before their recent legal actions. I really, really don't like proprietary screws, and they really, really do, and given that me beating that dead horse doesn't make for a stellar review, I decided to focus my efforts elsewhere. The events of the last few months do make that policy unlikely to change, though.

I think the vast majority of makers see that threatening reviewers, bloggers, or forum posters usually raises a massive PR crisis, and usually just fires up the Streisand Effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect), amplifying an opinion or fact which nobody would have cared about otherwise. I think the community reaction from this most recent case only serves to underscore this fact.

It's also worth saying that, out of that same overabundance of caution, I've had discussions with defamation and First Amendment lawyers in light of these recent events, and based on this, I believe that there is absolutely a way to avoid crossing the legal 'line in the sand', while still giving honest reviews which present both facts and opinions, and which accurately reflect the reviewer's true feelings and opinions on the product, positive or negative.

That said, I work very hard to be fair to everybody, to highlight the good and great, to constructively present the bad and ugly, while separating fact and opinion, and keeping facts accurate. I hope that makers, no matter their feelings for me, will agree. Plus, at the end of the day, I'm just one jackass giving my own personal opinions as entertainment, and people can agree, disagree, or perhaps best, disregard entirely, as they see fit.

So, I don't think this spells the end for balanced and honest reviewing in the knife world, just as it hasn't elsewhere. But, absolutely, the worst part of all of this has been the replacement of some passion in the community with fear.

Last edited:
The only complaint I have is with disassembly videos. I know the sebenza video is one that got a lot of complaints because it was just the wrong way to take apart the knife.

On disassembly, as I've mentioned elsewhere in the thread, I'm learning as quickly as I can, and do my best to give working advice, even if it's not perfection. That said, one of the videos, on my (huge) to-do list is a new Sebenza disassembly video, which shows the CRK community-approved approach. That's a known-issue, so to speak!

you guys have to understand that some knife makers that have drama surrounding them. I see that as those manufacturer's may not get reviewed because of that drama. and I can understand that wholeheartedly if that be the case.

I wouldn't want to give say quartermaster free advertising or get sued by microtech or whatever the case may be.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying so quickly Nick.
I would also choose to avoid drama at all costs. Most of us have had those Microtech blues long before all the recent BS anyway.
We have known, for quite some time, the lack of integrity, and customer service, there.
Joe

I'm a fan. For all the reasons already mentioned: informative, evenhanded, no hype, calls 'em like he sees 'em, a touch of humor, doesn't pretend to be the Final Word on anything he reviews.

He saved me $180 with one of his reviews. I won't mention which knife I was very excited to buy, but luckily saw his video about it, completely changed my mind about it.

As long as he keeps making video, I'll keep watching.

He saved me $180 with one of his reviews. I won't mention which knife I was very excited to buy, but luckily saw his video about it, completely changed my mind about it.
Which knife? He's saved me a few bucks too... Then again he's made me buy some damn good knives I need to win the lottery.
#nickshabazzmademebuyit

I almost always consult his channel on a knife I have an interest in. Mostly because he is willing to talk about the bad and the ugly on ANY knife regardless of price or brand. He nit-picks even the best and points out not so great things which helps me know the knife better.

I almost always consult his channel on a knife I have an interest in. Mostly because he is willing to talk about the bad and the ugly on ANY knife regardless of price or brand. He nit-picks even the best and points out not so great things which helps me know the knife better.
I agree. I think he gives a balanced review. This is much more useful than reviews that are overly enthusiastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back