Some unscientific testing of Quartermaster and Ganzo knives

I finally wanted to test my Quartermaster Mr Roper to see if it at least had okay blade steel. I wanted to test another knife at the same time, and both my Mr Roper and my G721 needed to be sharpened at some point, so why not do a test first?

I know cardboard is a good edge retention medium, granted it is not perfectly homogeneous, so this is definitely an unscientific test. The knives also have terribly different geometry, making it even more unscientific. That said, let's get started!

I knew wildly hacking at cardboard shows nothing, and using the whole blade makes the edge retention take a pretty long time, so I kept my cutting to smooth slices within around the same inch on the blade. I found an old medium Amazon box to cut up, and sliced it into two sets of matched pieces of cardboard (so each blade cut roughly the same). I made sure to keep both matched pieces cut into roughly the same number of pieces, following the same pattern. Took about 45 minutes total to cut this little mound, but I have some results.

Both knives were shaving sharp before the test, but not quite hair whittling sharp. The Ganzo cut far more easily due to the thinness of the grind. The coating on the Mr Roper held up phenomenally, it doesn't look to be showing a single mark. The box was cut into the small pieces by a blackwashed Shuffle, which already showed very minor wear. The Ganzo looks to have only suffered a few minor scuffs, mostly only visible in the right light. Visible edge wear shows a different story, with the Quartermaster actually looking very slightly less crisp on the Apex, while the Ganzo just feels dulled. The actual edges left are the opposite, however, with the Ganzo being completely unable to slice receipt paper unless there is already a cut started (it just skids on the edge), while the Quartermaster does slice, just not well. I had to really bear into the knives to some cuts, but neither feels any different afterwards, no developed rock or play.

From my limited experience with edge retention testing, the Ganzo does perform like 440C ought to if not perfectly heat treated, but the Quartermaster does not perform like S35VN, more along the lines of 154CM. Nobody expects perfectly done steel for $20, and it definitely outperforms 8Cr, but for a nearly $200 knife I really expect something close to what I'm paying for. If Quartermaster does use S35VN (which isn't very likely), they blew the HT massively. Take that for what you will.

Thanks for useful test . More scientific than most merely subjective opinions I see posted as fact !

My own impression of Ganzo steel has been very good at the price point .

Ganzo is the best value bar none, but I'm afraid to say so on this forum because people will jump the gun and clubber me to death because: insert "theft of design, intellectual property, Chinese made, fake 440c etc..."

Ganzo is the best value bar none, but I'm afraid to say so on this forum because people will jump the gun and clubber me to death because: insert "theft of design, intellectual property, Chinese made, fake 440c etc..."
No one should fear being clubbed to death. You might consider, however, as you heap praises on Ganzo for high value that much of that value has been derived from not paying for design and development. Sometimes we all need to step back and try to get a larger view.

Just a thought to keep in mind on a knife enthusiast forum...

Two things...
1) “Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth.”
- Gautama Buddha
and
2) "A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
- Vladimir Lenin

Conclusion...
“You never know how much you really believe anything until its truth or falsehood becomes a matter of life and death to you.”
- C.S. Lewis

No one disputes unless they have a personal stake in it.
Deep down, i figure most folks just want to know what's the best deal out there for the money that they are willing to part with.
Very few people want to see the big picture, just look at the issues of mankind resolving climate change...

Last edited:
Back