1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Something new for me - quivers

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Robber58, May 30, 2017.

1. Robber58

Robber58 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 9, 2008
    My whole family was into archery when I was a kid. Recently, my wife and I have picked it up and found the new types of bows and arrows are extraordinary. However, I still have a fondness for the older styles of quivers so I made one for each of us. Mine is a back style with a harness that stabilizes it's position and some adjustable, snap in separators for arrow organization. The bottom is 3/4 inch thick laminated leather. I don't have a sewing machine so this was a real challenge to hand sew. Took a bit. P1010098.JPG P1010100.JPG P1010103.JPG P1010101.JPG
    The other is a hip quiver for my wife. It was interesting and I would make a number of design changes if I ever made it again but she is happy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    ColeKiraKnives and Low_rez like this.
  2. Low_rez

Low_rez Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Well done!

3. James w

James w Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Nice job bruh

4. just-a-hunter

just-a-hunter KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 5, 2015
    Those are beautiful..

Todd

5. High Standard

High Standard

Mar 23, 2017
    Really nice. Great attention to detail. Just curious, how many hours do you have into both of them.

6. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Really outstanding. Like the tooling too. Wow nice job!

7. Robber58

Robber58 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 9, 2008
    Thank you all for the positive comments. The tooling was something I picked up from and old Al Stohlman book that he calls inverted carving. I find it works really well on large areas if the design fits the form and prevents having to do acres of background.
    High Standard, it is a bit difficult to estimate the total time because I completed them mixed in with other projects over several weeks. I know I spent about 2 to 3 hours just doing design and patterns. I would guess the back quiver has about 6 to 10 hours total and the other a bit less. Most of the time in both is for the stitching. The back quiver had a lot of pretty difficult stitching to do and I almost backed myself into a corner a couple of times with the wrong sequence.

8. ANovinc

ANovinc Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 21, 2016
    thanks for sharing! I love seeing things like this. Very nice!

9. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 19, 2007
    Robber58,

Would you be willing to share these designs with me?

This is very timely as I have been shooting the heck out of my Super Kodiak lately and have been wanting to build my own quiver. I would be super appreciative if I could steal from your experience and tweak the design some to fit my needs.

Thanks - and awesome work.

Jason

10. Robber58

Oct 9, 2008
    Jason,
    I have done some reshuffling in my shop recently and my recent patterns folder has gone missing. I don't mind sharing at all if I can locate them. I am currently hosting at a state park in Oregon and will be back at the end of June. I will look then and let you know if I can figure out what happened to my patterns.
    Randy

11. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 19, 2007
    Thanks a ton Randy.

Jason

12. Robber58

Oct 9, 2008
    Jason,
    I am back and attempted to send you messages but it seems your box is full. I have the pattern but we need to talk.
    Randy