Spanish flea market finds & other stuff that might be of interest!

Wow! "Kenny" is awesome! :D

Yes, & cleaned up better than I expected. Better try not to kill him!

Nice to see a good craftsmans work. Thanks for sharing with us.
Those hammers are interesting, how old are they?

Thanks. Not sure how old they are but would like to find out, trying to find someone who actually knows rather than guesses is difficult.
A similar style albeit more modern looking can still be bought in old ironmonger shops, just for comparison I can take a photo of them if anyones interested?

Wow, I really like a lot of these patterns!
Great work with the handles. Please stop making me want old cultivating tool...

Thanks & sorry.... ;)

Regarding the adze, it's currently close to being clean after multiple vinegar soaks & scrubs & I'm really surprised to see it might be wrought iron, plus there is a faint stamp. Pics soon.

.....snip.....

J + Z missing I assume.
DSC07052_zpstk8qjvpu.jpg

...ship...

I think your "J" and "Z" are there - as part of the stylized ends of the anvil in the logo. :D

I think your "J" and "Z" are there - as part of the stylized ends of the anvil in the logo. :D

Yeah, the majority of the J is missing, the lower part can be seen touching the anvil, the top of the Z is missing.

Some pics of the cleaned adze. What looks like a crack below the eye isn't, it's just how it's been forged.

DSC07775_zpselwmithj.jpg

The stamp looks like crossed keys over an animal of some description.

DSC07776_zpssjiuhsf4.jpg

Blurred :rolleyes: but showing the darker hard line or bit, strangely not showing on the other side above... Not much left but enough to get it sharp & have lots of light sharpens.

DSC07777_zpsespb5pkp.jpg

Not very highly defined but seems to be wrought, I've tried to catch the "grain" in this pic. Grind & handle next.

Some of the "slip through" handle hatchets/hawks, two middle heads I modified & etched, the bottom tidler head 9oz/250g I polished, just because.........

DSC07767_zpsyybgt8bl.jpg

No wedges in sight.
DSC07771_zpsrmrpmilz.jpg

Lastly some of the slip through claw hammer still available in some places. Old one on the right.

DSC07768_zpsydid1dfw.jpg

:)

Last edited:
Interesting tools.
That adze is definitely wrought, its steel laminate just a strip on the one side of its bit.
A cheap & easier manufacture, over a full insert steel bit, but lacks durability. Might explain such little steel remains on that bit.

Last edited:
Some of the "slip through" handle hatchets/hawks, two middle heads I modified & etched, the bottom tidler head 9oz/250g I polished, just because.........

DSC07767_zpsyybgt8bl.jpg

Beautiful photo, though the offset of the handle on that top one goes the opposite direction I'd set it. Love the head on it, and that polished one looks great, too!

Some pics of the cleaned adze. What looks like a crack below the eye isn't, it's just how it's been forged.

DSC07775_zpselwmithj.jpg

Interesting tools.
That adze is definitely wrought, its steel laminate just on the one side of its bit.
A cheap & easier manufacture, over a full insert steel bit, but lacks durability. Might explain such little steel on that bit.

I'm not so sure about this one. Are we looking at 2 steels or 3? The seam in the photo above could indicate that the entire bit is high carbon steel forge welded onto a wrought iron eye. It may be that only a small amount of hardened steel remains at the bit. But it could high carbon steel all the way back to the eye. It's just needs re-hardening.

I'm not certain of this but it's one interpretation of what we're seeing.

If the carbon steel is actually a laminate then that's a helluva long forge weld to make.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone.

FortyTwoBlades, yes it'd make more sense the handle curving the other way, but then it wouldn't be different :)
Surprisingly it doesn't feel bad in the hand.

Interesting tools.
That adze is definitely wrought, its steel laminate just a strip on the one side of its bit.
A cheap & easier manufacture, over a full insert steel bit, but lacks durability. Might explain such little steel remains on that bit.

Yes, thanks for that it does explain what I'm seeing. I haven't come across such a thin bit (1mm/40 thou ish) but that's certainly what is welder on this.
Square_peg you can see a tiny bit of the hardened area on the "inside" of the adze, this is indeed either how thick it was originally or what's left of the higher carbon bit/edge. The whole adze has evidence of " grain", I just used the pic of the side of the eye because that's where it's etched the most, so the whole thing is wrought with just a slither of a bit.

As an aside, it just goes to show how very old steel tools benefit from careful cleaning & why I prefer a weak acid such as vinegar or ferric, to show what you have to work with. The big drawback is it's very slow, as in days.

There is nothing wrong with a wire wheel in an angle grinder on some tools, but it needs to he a straight wire brush, sometimes I see things like this this cleaned with a knot brush capable of removing rust rapidly, & metal!
In this case there would be no way of knowing if it had a hardened edge or a bit, & if it had a thin bit like this it'd be easy to grind it away.
Even axes & hammers made of a single piece of steel show a different color where they are hardened, so it's a great way to know if an axe still has a hard edge & how much, a file test can tell it's hard but not how far.

Anyway, I haven't too much to go at on this adze, I intend to try & square it all up while still retaining the hard edge (no choice!), just for the hell of it I'll etch it again afterwards to see if I succeed or not..... wish me luck :)

Anyone recognise the stamp? Somehow I feel like I've seen it before but can't remember where, looks like crossed keys above a four legged animal?

Last edited:

DSC07767_zpsyybgt8bl.jpg

No wedges in sight.
DSC07771_zpsrmrpmilz.jpg

:)

Those are terrific! - As is your handlework.

Great pictures as well. The wood comes across "rich".

Those are terrific! - As is your handlework.
Great pictures as well. The wood comes across "rich".

Picked these up today, the two with markings on their back edges bought from the same vendor.

DSC07780_zpskssl63c2.jpg

DSC07778_zpszqwrma2m.jpg

Now to get cleaning.

Last edited:
Those look ancient, can't wait to see what you do with them.

Another interesting shaped head I thought you might like to see, nice deep stamp "Juan Lopez, Guadalcazar" which isn't too far away from me in southern Spain.

2lb 9oz (1.16kg)
DSC07051_zpsvchsvn3z.jpg

J + Z missing I assume.
DSC07052_zpstk8qjvpu.jpg

Not sure about the handle this would have had.
DSC07054_zpstwsunav6.jpg

Pictured with another smaller hatchet head of similar style 1lb1oz (0.5kg).
DSC07055_zpsnmpod3yn.jpg

Thought I might put all my finds here in one thread to keep things neat.

Previous find threads-
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1415974-Old-small-hatchet-heads
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1401809-Walters-hatchet(s)-Updated-post-7
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1424530-Large-French-axe

It's not hard for me to see some family resemblance to fur trade axes in North America.

Those look ancient, can't wait to see what you do with them.

I thought so but cleaning them have found they're not wrought so maybe not as old as they look. I really like them though.

It's not hard for me to see some family resemblance to fur trade axes in North America.

Probably because some trade axes were made in the Basque region/northern Spain.
These look even more like them being older- http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1415974-Old-small-hatchet-heads

DSC06830_zpsqofj0xfv.jpg

Last edited:
As the adze was in such poor condition I didn't feel bad about etching it to death :) Straightened out the hardened edge & some metal was removed from the back to bring it back to a good angle.
Still has a couple of spots that'll disappear in time through sharpening, it's near enough to use.

DSC07815_zpshb90umsl.jpg

DSC07786_zpstcjvvhi6.jpg

DSC07816_zpsydgjveog.jpg

Last edited:
The cleaned up heads, they are wrought but fairly fine grained, the larger one having a large piece of slightly higher carbon steel (darker grey) on one cheek only as well as the higher carbon bit.
The smaller one has a hole right at the bottom of the eye.

DSC07803_zpspp0hl1vu.jpg

DSC07804_zpsvvuz358w.jpg

DSC07811_zpsnmsebbvj.jpg

Looking a tiny bit brown rusty because I didn't oil them after cleaning as haven't decided whether to leave them alone now or etch them, might leave them as is seeing as they don't show high contrast in the "grain".

Today's haul, a small cleaver ;). 17" overall.

IMG_20170318_204109_zpsynetwp3l.jpg

Stamped Gregory.Fenton Ltd.

Last edited:
The larger axe may have been re-steeled.

I suspect you are probably right, I didn't think of that. :thumbup:

In the pics you can see the different steel welded on one side, the other side shows cracks (& maybe a bit of de-lamination underneath) which might be because of it being taken to welding heat on two occasions.

Now having a go at etching the smaller one, can't resist :rolleyes:

Back