Spanish flea market finds & other stuff that might be of interest!

Thanks for the nice comments, appreciated :)

Now hammers, shovels etc are tolerated, am I a bit too far off topic with these? :rolleyes:

Sorry no rusted up before pics. 14" long.

DSC07859_zpse36noi6a.jpg

I've been looking for a pair of these for my wife who does a little sewing.
Funnily enough she tends to gripe a little about the vinegar & ferric chemistry station in the kitchen that usually has iron items in various states, didn't say anything when these were being cleaned. ;)

DSC07863_zpstwpeiuar.jpg

The vendor had an even bigger pair but I thought 14" was plenty big enough!
These were very rusty but the most important bit the edge is in OK shape, a fed dings I've stoned out, no markings which I find strange.
Those are the nicest shears I have ever seen.:thumbup:

I am also looking for a good vintage pair for my wife. I discovered that she has no idea what a really good pair is like after I used her "good pair" the other day. Ignorance is bliss if you don't know any better I suppose. I predict a well made vintage pair will be a revelation.

Those are the nicest shears I have ever seen.:thumbup:

I am also looking for a good vintage pair for my wife. I discovered that she has no idea what a really good pair is like after I used her "good pair" the other day. Ignorance is bliss if you don't know any better I suppose. I predict a well made vintage pair will be a revelation.

I do know what you mean & sympathize, my wife doesn't like the kitchen knives too sharp because shes less likely to cut herself :rolleyes: So, his & her knives it is. Hope she doesn't read this.....

Truly an impressive pair! I'd love to get my hands on a set just like it.

Yes they are nice & I should have done a "in hand" shot, they don't look like 14" in the pic (the vendor had an even bigger pair :eek: but with the nut missing), also nice is the purposely made wide nut"n"bolt that make sure they don't lay on their side when put down so it's easy to pick up again, & also to help the material being cut run under on one side & over the other.

A real mixed bag haul from this weekend. :cool:

DSC07914_zpsh8rxswqf.jpg

The fireman's hatchet that has it's original handle but sadly badly refitted about 2" shorter with a lovely coat of red paint over the rust! It's stamped R.A for Ramon Onraida (Guipuzcoa, Spain. Ugaldie's stomping ground :)) 1kg, another project.......

A "Buck & Hickman Ltd" hacking knife & a very old unmarked carbon kitchen blade I'm going to re-shape & handle, it's only 1/8th at it widest point.

Lastly a hammer head loosely stuck on a shaft that I thought was a scythe peening hammer, but at only 11.5oz maybe not? Looks by the eye it should have a slip handle with the head orientated the other way, longest side out. So now not sure, no markings.

Last edited:
Some more variations on claw hammers ;) Strapped heads.

DSC07938_zpsjy4qnqep.jpg

The small one on the right being an old English head cast all in one, the other two unknown.

DSC07935_zpsdfntudnm.jpg

Pictured with a tiny chasing hammer head I made a handle for, & a Portuguese "Jaguar" silver smiths head I handled.

Last edited:
Made a handle for the smaller of the two wrought heads in post #73 & 78.
Started with a Rowen log & used a tiny 9oz (250g) hatchet to thin it down a bit, which it did really well!

DSC07923_zps9xqmf9i8.jpg

After some draw knifing & smoothing, then B.L.O.

DSC07946_zpsc8hwngqr.jpg

And draw knifed down an old cut down hickory handle for the fireman's head from post #105, it had a curved hatchet handle from the factory despite having a tapered eye rather than an "hourglass" one.....
A factory catalogue picture here, forth picture down in this thread-
https://armasblancas.mforos.com/933171/11837519-catalogo-hachas-ramon-onraita-olivo/
I decided I wanted a slip handle & like the marking left over from some of the old weathered handle. Did a little grinding on the head to improve the shape, in my eyes :rolleyes:

DSC07971_zpsywtii44z.jpg

DSC07964_zps4casv50e.jpg

DSC07966_zpshql2pgyn.jpg

Really like the fact the old head has a hole at the bottom of the eye.

Last edited:
Started with a Rowen log & used a tiny 9oz (250g) hatchet to thin it down a bit, which it did really well!

DSC07923_zps9xqmf9i8.jpg

DSC07946_zpsc8hwngqr.jpg

And draw knifed down an old cut down hickory handle for the fireman's head from post #105, it had a curved hatchet handle from the factory despite having a tapered eye rather than an "hourglass" one.....
http://armasblancas.mforos.com/933171/11837519-catalogo-hachas-ramon-onraita-olivo/
I decided I wanted a slip handle & like the marking left over from some of the old weathered handle. Did a little grinding on the head to improve the shape, in my eyes :rolleyes:

DSC07956_zpsbvikpevq.jpg

DSC07971_zpsywtii44z.jpg

DSC07964_zps4casv50e.jpg

DSC07966_zpshql2pgyn.jpg

Could you make a video making one of that slip through handles?i have the same axe head of the third photo of your first post in this thread and im struggling to make a handle for it.
Thanks for sharing your work with us,at least for me is a pleasure seeing your work.
(Excuse me for my awful english,its not my first language)

I found this hammer in my grandfather's basement that other day that looks like half of your recent pickup. It looks very much like the original handle so maybe your's is also supposed to have that orientation.

AjnAfjw.jpg

Could you make a video making one of that slip through handles?i have the same axe head of the third photo of your first post in this thread and im struggling to make a handle for it.
Thanks for sharing your work with us,at least for me is a pleasure seeing your work.
(Excuse me for my awful english,its not my first language)

Hi Termax, thanks & your English is fine :thumbsup:

I wouldn't know where to start making a video...........:eek:

Are you in Spain? If so replacement "slip" handles are available from a lot of older Ferreterias, sometimes they fit, most times they need a little shaping to fit nice.

If you want to make a handle from a block or dried log it's better to split it first to get the best grain orientation, then shape it with an axe until it's a bit bigger than you want.
Use a Draw knife (a spoke shave, a coarse rasp or a disc on an Angle grinder could be used) to thin it down more.
Start at the opposite end of the handle to where you want the head to finally fit, make the head fit on that end first to get an idea what shape the handle has to be for the head to slide all the way along it, then make the handle this shape all the way along except for the other end where the head will finally fit, that has to flare out / be bigger so the head wedges.
Work slowly, try the head, remove a tiny bit more & try the head again, keep working s-l-o-w-l-y like this, it's easy to remove wood but not so easy to add it back ;)
Finish with a rasp, scraper &/or sandpaper.

Hope that helps, I can take more pictures when I do another if that would help.

I found this hammer in my grandfather's basement that other day that looks like half of your recent pickup. It looks very much like the original handle so maybe your's is also supposed to have that orientation.

That's the way I imagined it should fit, except the eye is tapered the wrong way :confused:

DSC07985_zpspckmvdhk.jpg

As can be seen the eye is over 1/16 (2mm) bigger on the longer side so it isn't made to be mounted with angled/tapered side out, nothing to keep it on the shaft.
Not sure about the smaller marks in the eye also, they are not symmetrical one doesn't run the full width.

DSC07990_zps1v4bxeqy.jpg

Of course a few minutes with a file can make the eye any shape & it'd be easy enough to alter it & mount it that way, just strange that the eye is made this way?

Last edited:
I have seen other hammer with an ax style taper (Inverted from the typical hammer). Heck I just put a new handle on a ball peen from a mining brand that had a pronounced "bump" midway down the head in the eye, which seems to be some sort of extra locking mechanism once the wedge is in. I'll see if I can measure mine when I get home, they're not the same, but it could be interesting.

DSC07923_zps9xqmf9i8.jpg

DSC07946_zpsc8hwngqr.jpg

http://armasblancas.mforos.com/933171/11837519-catalogo-hachas-ramon-onraita-olivo/

DSC07971_zpsywtii44z.jpg

DSC07964_zps4casv50e.jpg

DSC07966_zpshql2pgyn.jpg

Great work! Those are both lookers.

I like the log to handle portion - more work than tuning a store bought one and I don't know where I would find a backswept Rowan slip fit handle.

Hi Termax, thanks & your English is fine :thumbsup:

I wouldn't know where to start making a video...........:eek:

Are you in Spain? If so replacement "slip" handles are available from a lot of older Ferreterias, sometimes they fit, most times they need a little shaping to fit nice.

If you want to make a handle from a block or dried log it's better to split it first to get the best grain orientation, then shape it with an axe until it's a bit bigger than you want.
Use a Draw knife (a spoke shave, a coarse rasp or a disc on an Angle grinder could be used) to thin it down more.
Start at the opposite end of the handle to where you want the head to finally fit, make the head fit on that end first to get an idea what shape the handle has to be for the head to slide all the way along it, then make the handle this shape all the way along except for the other end where the head will finally fit, that has to flare out / be bigger so the head wedges.
Work slowly, try the head, remove a tiny bit more & try the head again, keep working s-l-o-w-l-y like this, it's easy to remove wood but not so easy to add it back ;)
Finish with a rasp, scraper &/or sandpaper.

Hope that helps, I can take more pictures when I do another if that would help.

That's the way I imagined it should fit, except the eye is tapered the wrong way :confused:

DSC07985_zpspckmvdhk.jpg

As can be seen the eye is over 1/16 (2mm) bigger on the longer side so it isn't made to be mounted with angled/tapered side out, nothing to keep it on the shaft.
Not sure about the smaller marks in the eye also, they are not symmetrical one doesn't run the full width.

DSC07990_zps1v4bxeqy.jpg

Of course a few minutes with a file can make the eye any shape & it'd be easy enough to alter it & mount it that way, just strange that the eye is made this way?
Yes im from Andalucia,i have a few olive branches that i cut a few weeks ago and i would like to do it myself and from that specific wood,im making one handle actually and i have it fitting except from the handle head,i would be very helpful if you made more photos of the process if it doesnt bother you,i can only use a rasp,an axe and a angle grinder,i dont have a spokeshave or a draw knife but if you know where to buy one here in andalucia in a physical store tell me please,also are you spanish or you are only living here?thank you for the time you spent in answering me and as i said earlier for your awesome work

Termax, I'm British & have been living in Andalusia for 22 years......

You can use "green" undried wood for a slip handle because the wedge shape can easily compensate for the wood as it dries & shrinks, but it's probably better to use "seasoned" dry wood to avoid warping.

P.M'd you.

So, after being impressed with how the small hatchet with the head weighing only 9 ish oz(260g) carved in post #108 got me thinking..........

I present the L.M.H.V (low mass, high velocity :confused:) hatchet.
A similar head ground down even more to weigh under 8oz (220g) & a total weight of 11.5oz (330g) with the long light 19" handle.

DSC08002_zpsidstg7we.jpg

Pictured with a Walters hatchet to give an idea of size.

DSC08005_zpshftiphx5.jpg

DSC08010_zpsitlvfswe.jpg

I know a really light head is not a new idea, but thought it was quite cool until it was finished when I realized it's................. a Tomahawk .................:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes im from Andalucia,i have a few olive branches that i cut a few weeks ago and i would like to do it myself and from that specific wood,im making one handle actually and i have it fitting except from the handle head,i would be very helpful if you made more photos of the process if it doesnt bother you,i can only use a rasp,an axe and a angle grinder,i dont have a spokeshave or a draw knife but if you know where to buy one here in andalucia in a physical store tell me please,also are you spanish or you are only living here?thank you for the time you spent in answering me and as i said earlier for your awesome work

Not as nice as natural wood you took yourself, or branches you cut from your own trees, but apart from "Ferreterias" you can find many sizes, woods and shapes of handles for your projects at two major Spanish stores (like Wallmarts in the US, these are everywhere in our country):

- Leroy Merlin
- Bauhaus

hope to see some pics of your project!

but apart from "Ferreterias" you can find many sizes, woods and shapes of handles for your projects at two major Spanish stores (like Wallmarts in the US, these are everywhere in our country):

- Leroy Merlin
- Bauhaus

With respect, both Leroy Merlin & Bauhaus are in my area (Malaga) & I use them for some items for which they are very good, but for handles
I can find a much bigger selection, better quality & cheaper in local Ferreterias, the older the Ferreterias usually the better.
(Bauhaus Malaga has a limited selection of handles, Leroy Merlin Malaga has no small handles at all, just rake/pick type garden handles).

Plus old "Ferreterias" (hardware stores) are usually Spanish owned "Mom & Pop" stores not huge French or German owned chains, if that matters........

Obviously, it might not be the same in every area.

Last edited:
Back