Spatula Handle

Hi, all!
I'm making a SS specialty spatula, and I've been reading on here how to fasten handles to knives, but they all seem to be handles that are in 2 pcs. This handle is a long solid stick, (grey elm branch) that only gets a slit cut into it as far as the spatula tang goes in, maybe 3.5'' in a 15'' handle. So any ideas of how to get enough epoxy to stay in the slit when you push the 'tang' in?
I thought of drilling a small (1/4'') hole straight into the end of the handle, before sliting it, so there would be a half pipe on each side of the tang where I could force extra glue into...but if glue is to thick, it will be hard to get all the way in.
Any clamping I do at the end, will be pulling against the branches natural pull, so not sure if clamping is a good option. The tang has 3 - 1/4'' holes in it, but have read here that glue does more then the pins, and not sure how to pin it.
Any suggestions, glues, ideas, etc??

I'm no expert, so don't trust my advice too far.

With holes that big I'd probably use wooden pins, grooved or striated, like the dowels in wood joinery. I'd have more glue surface and I'd be gluing wood to wood as well as metal. I might use a tube or a slotted cap for a ferule over the blade end of the stick to prevent splitting. Of course I haven't seen the stick. Or use threaded fasteners. Check out the knife-making catalogues for fastener options.

You might have better luck faster in a knife-making sub-forum than here.

And welcome aboard, by the way.

I'm no expert, so don't trust my advice too far.

With holes that big I'd probably use wooden pins, grooved or striated, like the dowels in wood joinery. I'd have more glue surface and I'd be gluing wood to wood as well as metal. I might use a tube or a slotted cap for a ferule over the blade end of the stick to prevent splitting. Of course I haven't seen the stick. Or use threaded fasteners. Check out the knife-making catalogues for fastener options.

You might have better luck faster in a knife-making sub-forum than here.

And welcome aboard, by the way.

Thanks, Jer, for the answer, and the welcome.
I hadn't thought of a wood dowel pin! That might work better.
I had thought of a 'cap' for the end, but wasn't sure how to make that stay on as well...
I'd like a threaded fastener, but don't know where to find one fast, cause I need to finish this for tomorrow night!!!
I wondered later if a knife making sub-forum would be better, but... can this be moved? Or should I start a new one?
Chip

You should probably ask a mod to move this one. Wish I knew how. I guess I might try clicking on "report".

Back