Spyderco factory edge...whoa!

FeelingEdgy

Platinum Member
I just received a Manix 2XL last week and it is starting to break in nicely(patience). This is my first blade with S30v and I must say it was the sharpest knife out of the box...ever! Does anyone know what the final grit Spyderco finished this knife with? I would like to replicate it on other knives.

Not sure, but I;ve read they are sharpened to about a 600 grit belt finish then polished a little to get the burrs off.

If you like that wait until you get a Spyderco form Seki City, Japan.

Still the sharpest knife I have ever had out of the box was . . . wait for it . . .
this Cold Steel Kitchen Classic paring knife. (already had the photo in my cut and past from another post so here yah go.) Litterally hair whittling. I bought three (long story) and all three were exactly the same sharpness. Impressive for a knife that sells retail for under $10. Taiwan.
Those dudes can make a knife.

The sharpest knives I have gotten, in order: 1] Caly3 ZDP-189 2] Manix 2 back lock 3] close call with #2, but K390 Urban LW. 2 & 3 were close. Both were extremely sharp. But #1 was so sharp I could not believe it.

Many factory edges, not just spyderco, are sharpened to a rather coarse finish on a belt sander and then are put to a buffing wheel to polish the edge and remove any bur. It isn't exactly an easy edge to reproduce at home if you don't have a buffing wheel.

That said, there are many ways to get an edge just as sharp and even sharper.

I recall reading a comment from Sal once that the final edge finish was in the 6k-7k grit range - I think 7k IIRC.

You might find the post, but I think it was just one of Sal's comments in a thread discussion about something else.

Spyderco edges, in all the examples I own, are screaming sharp out of the box. It seems to be across the board for the most part. I have models from Taiwan, Japan, and USA, and all were impressive.

I think there must be some QA standard applied to all the knives out of all the factories, because they are consistently great, at least in my collection.

Sharpest knife I ever got out the box was my Mcusta Yoroi. That thing was irresponsibly sharp, just insane. I was triggering little nuclear explosions just moving the blade through the air. You know splitting atoms and such.

The sharpest knives I have gotten, in order: 1] Caly3 ZDP-189 2] Manix 2 back lock 3] close call with #2, but K390 Urban LW. 2 & 3 were close. Both were extremely sharp. But #1 was so sharp I could not believe it.

I believe the Caly3 ZDP-189 is Seki City, Japan
See what I mean !
PS: two for two the worst edges I have wound up with out of the box on a higher quality knife has been S110V. The first was just rough and dull, the second had a big O' bur to one side. Embarassing.

Wowbagger, I think the Caly models might be made in the Moki factory in Seki.

The G.Sakai manufactured models have the 'SEKI-CITY' over 'JAPAN' tang etch, and the Mokis have simply 'Japan' in a distinctively different font and stamp, if I'm not mistaken.

I know Moki made the Newer Starmate. Many had bad luck with their Starmate 2s but mine came perfect. I got lucky.

Edit: sure enough I just checked it and my Starmate 2 says only Japan. So it seems Moki produced models say Just Japan. I don't know if other companies outside their Seki producer manufacture blades under contract. Would they say just Japan too? Seems likely.

Last edited:
Wowbagger, I think the Caly models might be made in the Moki factory in Seki.

The G.Sakai manufactured models have the 'SEKI-CITY' over 'JAPAN' tang etch, and the Mokis have simply 'Japan' in a distinctively different font and stamp, if I'm not mistaken.

Could be. I have never had a Caly but have a couple of ZDP-189s that say Seki.
VERY happy with those. And others from Seki City

Calys are from Moki and just say Japan. And my Caly 3.5 and Caly 3 were the sharpest knives I've ever gotten. Something about that ZDP that Moki can put a scary sharp edge on it. It really was scary sharp.

I like both manufacturers, and their edges.

Moki are also known for their beautiful traditional pocket knives - Western traditional, I mean.

G. Sakai (formerly known as Gerber Sakai) have an interesting knife museum in Seki, which is worth a visit if you're ever in Gifu prefecture, Japan.

Just to be clear, both factories are in Seki City.

I was lucky enough to be invited on a G. Sakai factory tour, when I was there in 2014.

IMG_3517.JPG

IMG_3518.JPG

I didn't see every process, of course, but I would guess both factories would be equipped to do everything needed to make milled steel sheet and raw handle materials into heat treated, polished and finished knives.

When I asked about Moki, I was told 'Nobody is allowed to visit Moki.'

Last edited:
the three manufacturers that have consistently impressed me with the sharpness of their factory edges have been Cold Steel, Spyderco and G.Sakai (also a favorite of mine as they have different models of H1 blades)

CAM01441_zpsw2qgde63.jpg

20170420_102254_zpskddgdpj7.jpg

20170314_194100_zpsnk9ziyjq.jpg

Back