Spyderco Fakes & Knock Offs Info

I posted this on a Spyderco Facebook group and people found it useful so here is the post:

*How to spot fake Spyderco knives*
There have been a bunch of posts over the past few days saying "is this fake" or "does this look fake" and such. As people may know, Spyderco is widely counterfeited and these fake knives are getting really good but none are perfect.
If you are buying on ebay, make sure to ask the seller if the knife is real (even if you think it is) because photos can be deceiving and if the knife arrives and it is fake, you can use that message as proof that they were selling a fake branded as real and ebay will refund you. Also, always make sure to use Paypal b/c they have a buyer protection program and they will refund you if you were scammed and bought a fake.
Here are 3 good videos that I encourage everyone to watch that explain how to spot fake Spyderco knives.

**Disclaimer: These videos only go over certain models so not all of the things mentioned apply to all knives so make sure you are aware of the characteristics of the knife you want to buy. (For example, the Dragonfly 2 only has screw heads on one side but the Paramilitary 2 has screw heads on both sides).

**Another disclaimer: I would not determine a fake from the box (unless it is completely obvious) because I have seen variations of real Spyderco boxes.
If you have any other tips, feel free to leave them in the comments of this post.
Videos:
https://youtu.be/x8-LhTxKMh0
https://youtu.be/uBxFv25--AI
https://youtu.be/slYrdYrkc1Y

Here is another video where in an interview, Sal and Eric talk about the problem of fake Spyderco knives:
https://youtu.be/POFvVmphQsY

That really sucks to see fakes being sold in big name stores like that. Those fakes could give some unsuspecting customer a bad experience with Spyderco.
Crappy people are scaming big box stores that don't know any better. It is a big chain of fail. Saw it first hand.

That is a terrible fake. Maybe a friendly reminder that selling fakes is illegal would help.

This is not the first report of fakes at Cabelas. Sad....

When major retailers aren't safe then what?

I sent an email to Spyderco about this, linking my thread also, so hopefully they get this taken care of.

So does this mean the supply chain is contaminated? Or does Cabela's sell 'used' knives whereby a customer could come in and give them a fake knife to sell?

For new knives, I have a hard time believing Cabela's doesn't buy from Spyderco (or a very large, authorized dealer) directly.

Maybe it is posted several time here already... If someone buys a knife, but returns it while substituting a fake, I expect it is possible for the vendor to sell a fake without knowing it. I think I have heard of this happening, and it could undermine confidence. Maybe some will avoid buying something that is so regularly counterfeited. I have avoided some deals when I could not easily verify the authenticity of items.

-font-b-Karambit-b-font-font-b-Knife-b-font-59-60HRC-VG-10-Blade.jpg

Spotted on the red side of the fence
a neck knife
With a Franken fixed bladed civilian/matriarch
Matched with a black scaled
steel karambit type ring handle.

This knife is not represented as a Spyderco product, but I do see a round hold, as well as certain similarities of design to one of Spyderco's products:

71WbDx10l9L._SL1010_.jpg

How do you spot a fake native? I just got one from a place on eBay and want to make sure it’s legit
Avoid eBay and Amazon. Buy from authorized dealers only. Even some big box stores may have clones due to people swapping the clone with the real thing when they take it back.

Avoid eBay and Amazon.

Avoid Amazon??? I know to avoid their third party resellers but anything filled by Amazon should be OK I would think. I bought a PM2 there and checked it closely following the videos on Youtube. It passed every test. Not only that but I'd be amazed if anyone made a fake as good as this knife.

Avoid Amazon??? I know to avoid their third party resellers but anything filled by Amazon should be OK I would think. I bought a PM2 there and checked it closely following the videos on Youtube. It passed every test. Not only that but I'd be amazed if anyone made a fake as good as this knife.
Nope. People will buy the real thing and a fake and send the fake back and keep the real thing. Amazon then sells the fake. They don't inspect it for legitimacy.

Support the forum and buy from vendors here that don't do any of that.

Last edited:
Maybe they do have a problem but again I checked my knife against all the stuff on the videos on Youtube and it passed every test. And again I know enough about knives to know when one works great and when it doesn't. This one works great. But I did check to be sure it was the real thing. I checked the box but I figured that could be faked by someone doing returns. Amazon generally sells returned stuff as refurbished BTW. I don't know that they always do that but with all the fakes around I checked the knife I bought closely.

Back