Recommendation? Spyderco folder

FFG Delica! the way to go for sure. ZDP189 or VG10, take your pick.

Sage and Native 5 are also good options in a 3" blade. If you don't like the cutout on the Sage 1, a Sage 5 is another option. But, Delica.

Native 5 is very nice, followed closely by one of the sage knives. The manix is a very comfortable handle but it feels overbuilt for EDC, at least my EDC. It's also bigger in the pocket. I haven't used a LW version, however.

I really like the native 5, a lot more than the delica even. The way the delica is shaped puts too much room between where I grip the handle and the start of the cutting edge whereas the native 5 and sage put the edge right after the 50/50 choil putting less leverage on the wrist if you're really driving into something, like cardboard. The mini-grip has the same fault as the delica which is the one thing I really don't like about that knife too even though it's my EDC for work.

Someone on here did a mod to a delica where a choil or at least come material was removed from the front of the handle so that you could choke up better but I can't find it right now. This might be a similar thing as lil'para is what it's called but it looked much different than this. I'm thinking it's the same guy but this is not the thread discussing the original. http://bladeforums.com/threads/sold-spyderco-grindmod-delica-lilpara.1491496/#post-17143942

The thin stock of the delica is very nice though as I do like thinner blades.

When I was shopping for my first Spyderco, I thought I wanted a Sage with a liner lock and carbon fiber scales. When I handled one, it wasn't quite what I had expected. But the Sage with the Ti scales and frame lock was an instant "gotta have one." Every edge is slightly rounded or chamfered. Feels great in hand, glides open and closed like a precision tool. (I'm not a flicker.) Still one of my favorites, and carried frequently. Today, in fact.

Just get one now and end up getting the other later. Then another and another till you have them all.

Manix 2 or Delica

2BMPRBQ.jpg

uFjyVDM.jpg

The new Paramilitary 3 has a 3 inch blade, and if it is anything like its big brother, will be an all around fantastic knife!! I am planning on getting one of the Para 3's soon.
Or get the Paramilitary 2 if you don't mind the extra size.(Warning, it has a large handle.)
If you want a great all around knife, get the Cru-Wear Paramilitary 3 when it comes out, that will be a very user friendly knife. Great steel!!

The new Paramilitary 3 has a 3 inch blade, and if it is anything like its big brother, will be an all around fantastic knife!! I am planning on getting one of the Para 3's soon.
Or get the Paramilitary 2 if you don't mind the extra size.(Warning, it has a large handle.)
If you want a great all around knife, get the Cru-Wear Paramilitary 3 when it comes out, that will be a very user friendly knife. Great steel!!

FYI, I called Spyderco a couple of days ago about the Para3. They said the S110 version (with blue/purple scales:)) will be out in a few months.

Andy,

I have small hand and somehow Delica doesn't fit me (handle wise). I found Endura handle fits better and Cara Cara 2 even better.

However many swears by it and if not because of the handle, jazzz has convincing video about actual use :
In fact his argument convinced Sal to make him a prototype to try.
Original thread:https://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70607&start=200

I found manix 2 handle suits me better, but it is a heavily contoured one. It dictates how one should hold it. A GB1 handle is better, but probably that's beyond your length requirement.

In my use, a belly is useful, especially when peeling fruits, so I like Stretch better than Endura. Stretch handle is also very comfortable.

I think it boils down to what you cut on daily basis. A lot of man made product (packaging, tapes, etc.) then a wharncliffe Delica. The short blade allows for tremendous control.
Skinning, peeling, might be better served with some belly. Maybe also a Delica, normal version.
ZDP is highly recommended but VG10 is ok too with your sharpening skill.

For your described usage, either Delica or Manix 2 fits the need. Or probably a Tenacious (cheaper than Manix, basically similar size but more flexible grip). Spreading jam/butter is better done with leaf shape & wide blade. D4 wharnies is quite wide.

Edit to add: StartupSurvival on YouTube is also Canadian, and he also compared Delica, Tenacious and Cara Cara.

Last edited:
One thing I can say with 100% honesty.. The Manix's ergonomics are thee best I've had yet out of any knife. It literally fits like a glove, haha.

If I had to make a complaint it'd be that the handle is a tad long for me(I have smaller hands so that's just my input).
Check out the domino if you haven't yet, basically a smaller manix with a flipper.

Check out the domino if you haven't yet, basically a smaller manix with a flipper.

That's kind of funny! That's what I have on me when I don't carry my Manix 90% of the time, haha. The handle is perfect for my hand size. I do get a better grip on my Manix, but I have more fun with my Domino, haha.

Another vote for a Delica with full flat-ground blade. The hollow-ground versions are less useful IMNSHO.

Delica 4, Sage (pick your flavor) and the Native 5. Any of these are great bets.

Full flat ground Delica is an awesome knife to start with. I keep coming back to mine. The Wharncliffe Delica is also very good, but not as universal as the standard profile, in my experience.

Delica FFG or Sage

My pick is the Delica, it is all about light weight available usefulness :)

I'd try to get my hands on a native 5 LW. one of the few knives I've regretted letting go of.. To be straight up though, buy both, and a gold sub, and sell the one you don't want here, you'll get a reasonable return for it (think of it as a rental fee) or just hunt the for-sale here and grab them used. they are user blades, so getting a used one will be no big deal. Get a VG-10 delica and s35vn native 5 to start. if the egros sing to you, then think about upgrading the steel, but the great thing is that you will know its worth while.

Back