Spyderco Manix 3

KBA

I know the Sage is considered a baby Manix, especially the 3, but could there ever be a Manix 3?

I love my Manix 2 and am mostly curious as Ive had the Sage 3 and it never felt right.

I know the Sage is considered a baby Manix, especially the 3, but could there ever be a Manix 3?

I love my Manix 2 and am mostly curious as Ive had the Sage 3 and it never felt right.

If I remember correctly the manix 2 isn't that much bigger than a sage. Between that would be the domino.

The Native doesn't have the hump found on the Manix.

A Manix the size of the Native would certainly be amazing imo. It may be redundant in ways but to have the exact Manix outline on a Native size scale would be interesting.

Not looking for a purchase, only a curious question as there is now a Para 3, why not a Manix 3

The Native doesn't have the hump found on the Manix.

A Manix the size of the Native would certainly be amazing imo. It may be redundant in ways but to have the exact Manix outline on a Native size scale would be interesting.

Not looking for a purchase, only a curious question as there is now a Para 3, why not a Manix 3

I'm betting that's because the Paramilitary became a "do all" knife. It's just a little bit of everything if you understand what I mean, and it became ridiculously popular. The biggest complaint people always had(at least in my opinion) who loved their para was the size(blade to handle ratio).

The Manix has become the company's front running "hard use" knife. People always suggest a Manix 2 when someone needs a work knife, because it's a beast of a knife and can handle tough jobs. Maybe I'm wrong but the sort of people looking for a hard use folder have certain size requirements that they stick to.

That's my thoughts, at least. And they could be complete and utterly wrong, haha.

M McFeeli

I completely agree. I know it was the countless reviews that had me try it, and eventually sell my Sebenzas.

Ive just read frequently that, "it is too wide in the pocket." (Not that I agree) and was curious.

I do agree with your view though

If I remember correctly the manix 2 isn't that much bigger than a sage. Between that would be the domino.
pqziHZH.jpg

xzdPQMN.jpg

Granted, that's the Sage 2...according to the specs on KW, the Sage 3 is 0.18" longer overall. (and the Domino is 0.38" longer than the Sage 3)

Great comparison, but Im not a frame lock fan. The Sage 2 also does not have the handle height as the Sage 3, I believe, (I could be wrong though.) which is closer to a baby Manix 2. Nor is the Sage 2 nearly as 'aggressive' for the lack of a better term. One of the reasons I never cared for the Sage 3 was the handle.

Aesthetically the Sage 2 is a great looking knife.

Im just babbling here though. Not taking the idea of a Manix 3 all that serious.

Last edited:
I never understood the 'I don't like the PM2 blade to handle ratio therefore I like Manix 2 better' crowd. Really?

Lined up at start of cutting edge,

Xj6fTj7h.jpg

Last edited:
The ratio never bothered me I just like the ergos of the Manix 2.

Great comparison shot

I agree, they do feel bit different. And I believe that which one is more comfortable depends on the size of the hand. But I think the ratio comments are not justified in my mind. Not when comparing these two knives.

I personally don't care. I know what I like. I like them both.

Reactions: KBA
I really like carrying and using my manix2 imo it's a brute of a knife ready to tackle it all. It carries well in the pocket and the blade shape is perfect. The tip just seems a bit more stout for some jobs compared to the pm2. A manix3 would be cool as hell.

My Manix 2 CF S90V is substantially larger than the Sage 2 that I have. Again, size is relative but when placed together, you can see the Manix 2 is larger. Both great knives and both classic keepers for me.

I never understood the 'I don't like the PM2 blade to handle ratio therefore I like Manix 2 better' crowd. Really?

Lined up at start of cutting edge,

Xj6fTj7h.jpg

great photo, for what it shows.

I like both equally and carry them both very often. I wish the Paramilitary had the option to have the same locking mechanism as the Manix 2, i will say however its more tedious to disassemble. My reasoning is i find the PM2 lock to create more hot spots in the hand, and i like the feel of the Manix 2 lock; its out of the way. I've often wondered why the Manix 2 doesn't have a larger following than it does.

The longer handle of the PM2 (and Military) makes the knife very comfortable to use. A shorter handle, while being easier to pocket, is probably not going to be as comfortable. I think it's a trade-off on what's more important to you. Then there's the PM3. Didn't Sal say choose a knife by the handle and not the blade?

Only 2 things I don't like about the manix width in pocket and the thickness. Having said that the s110v model was my edc for over 6 months until just recently owning my first pm2. Really miss the bbl. my guess is though the bbl is what makes it thicker. I should also mention i like to carry in the pocket watch pocket.

Last edited:
I really don't notice the thickness or width of my Manix too much, to me it actually fits in my pocket better than my PM2. It's shorts weather right now so maybe when I'm back to wearing jeans I may notice it a lot more.

I do think I'm a bigger fan of the compression lock than the ball bearing lock, though I definitely love the shape and the ergo's of the Manix more than my PM2. Now if they'd make a Manix with a compression lock that may be the best thing ever, haha.

I really don't notice the thickness or width of my Manix too much, to me it actually fits in my pocket better than my PM2. It's shorts weather right now so maybe when I'm back to wearing jeans I may notice it a lot more.

I do think I'm a bigger fan of the compression lock than the ball bearing lock, though I definitely love the shape and the ergo's of the Manix more than my PM2. Now if they'd make a Manix with a compression lock that may be the best thing ever, haha.
It always makes me laugh how everyone's preferences are different.

Back