Spyderco Paramilitary 2 -My Impressions-

Hello all!

I recently decided it was time to upgrade my old Benchmade 940 and the consistently stellar reviews of the PM2 led me that direction. After checking it out at my local knife shop and really enjoying it, I picked one up. Specifically my model was with the standard PM2 with Black G-10, S30V and a Black DLC blade.

I wanted to post my impressions here because my experience with the PM2 seems a bit different than the consensus and I thought it might be valuable to put some of my thoughts out there to balance the overwhelmingly positive feedback.

Please note, the PM2 is a great knife and in no way, shape or form am I disputing that. I can clearly see why it is often a contender for best EDC.

Initial Impressions/Fit & Finish 10/10 - The first time I picked up a PM2 I really, really liked it. In fact, almost every time I took it out to use it gave a highly favorable impression. The G-10 is exactly how all G-10 scales should be; sticky but not too abrasive and visually quite nice. The DLC blade was very nicely done, ground well, razor sharp out of box and perfectly centered. The action on the knife was sticky to start and the lockup was difficult to disengage but in my experience this is par for most knives and after a hundred or so openings it was buttery smooth.

Blade 6/10 - This was one area I found myself disappointed in. For me, the blade shape and design was less than ideal. While exceptional as a slicing implement I found the utility use lacking for two significant reasons. First, the lack of straight cutting edge made jobs that required any sort of back-and-forth movement more difficult than they needed to be and struggled when I compared against my more traditional drop-point or tanto style blades. In particular I ran this knife through numerous rope cutting tests versus my 940 and it was significantly less able at cutting hanging or knotted rope. When used on a cutting surface it was slightly more efficient but in real use I'm more likely to be holding and cutting rope opposed to laying it on a cutting surface. The second, and oddly significant, issue I ran into was the thickness of the top of the blade and specifically the spydey-hole. Due to the uneven and very thick portions around the spydey-hole the blade consistently became stuck when cutting any thicker cardboard-like material. In fact, it consistently became so lodged that I had to force the blade completely out of the cut and resume again. Perhaps this is just due to my style of handling but I found it very odd and disappointing that the PM2 was significantly worse at cutting through thick cardboard than my old, fairly dull 940.

Ergonomics 7/10 - This was the other area I had some disappointments in. The first impressions of handling the knife were consistently VERY positive. The grip is excellent, the forward choil is fantastic and the jimping along the top of the blade is AMAZING. However, the more I used the knife the more a few flaws (from my point of view) began to surface. One, I found the bottom choil to be very nice but not entirely comfortable to use and somewhat awkwardly positioned to the actual cutting edge. Combined with the handle choil being too far from the cutting edge, it was a bit of a porridge situation for me; I was either too close or too far from the cutting edge. The second issue was the boxy corners on the handle scales. I have fairly large, but not huge, hands and I was bothered by the boxed off edges on the scales. For any prolonged use they became quite uncomfortable and it seems like a cut corner on a $130+ knife. I also found the combination of grip cutouts and swell to the scales too much and would have preferred a simpler handle. In general I really liked the feel of the knife every time I deployed it but became less and less satisfied the longer I actually used it. It definitely feels like a knife that has certain ways it WANTS you to handle it and while some people will certainly enjoy that, I found it restricting.

Deployment and Lockup 10/10 - Nothing but positive to say here. Second best deployment of any knife I've handled and probably my favorite lockup. Awesome.

Final Thoughts: The PM2 is a fantastic knife. The impressions when holding, deploying and retaining the knife are absolutely top notch and very hard to beat. The drawbacks, for me, are of a personal taste variety and not necessarily actual flaws. The blade wasn't what I was looking for in an EDC, although it would be EXCEPTIONAL in a heavier slicing capacity, and the handle was overly contoured and a bit awkward for me.

Reactions: MVF
Great review of the PM2 I don't currently own one myself and I too have noticed quite a lot of gushing over this knife. Personally I'm a lover of the MANIX 2!
1042c7a69f4726d31c8668d86a9d5b1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have owned numerous PM2's and the squared off edge of the handle has always been a constant annoyance to me as well. If they would just round them off it would make the knife so much better in hand.

My hands aren t that tough, but I ve never even thought about the handle edges of the PM2 as being uncomfortable. As a work knife, I like the handle size and ergonomics. Personal preference.

Good review. I recently gave the PM2 a try after seeing all the praise that it gets. I shared some of your complaints with the ergonomics of the knife. I also felt for the overall size of the knife you got a relatively small cutting edge. The extremely fine point also worried me as I have broken points like that before. Ended up returning the knife and getting a BM 940-2. Excellent blade length for the size, and it remains pretty chunky all the way to the tip.

Reactions: MVF
great point about how youre not cutting against a surface most of the time. I made the opposite transaction. pm2 to 940. kept my manix in my rotation as my hand is accustomed to the axis lock position.

Thank you for the review.

I am going to pick up a Spyderco Para 2 and have the standard questions. I plan to use it as my EDC (I have a Military which I love but need the 4-way ambi carry option). As I carry a multitool and/or SAK, the Para 2 is primarily a defensive blade that won't be used a ton for utility.

DLC coating or satin? I like the satin a lot on my Military so is there any reason other than extreme corrosion resistance that I should consider the DLC?

I rounded the edges on both my PM2s. Totally different feel to it. When I picked up my second, ( I couldn't not get a Cruwear!) I tried it for a couple days without breaking out the sandpaper but couldn't keep it with the factory square edges. So much better rounded!

I rounded the edges on both my PM2s. Totally different feel to it. When I picked up my second, ( I couldn't not get a Cruwear!) I tried it for a couple days without breaking out the sandpaper but couldn't keep it with the factory square edges. So much better rounded!
Can you show a pic of your sanded PM2?

Can you show a pic of your sanded PM2?
Not here, can't get dropbox to work here, not willing to keep trying different ones. I'm under the same name on Spyderco forum. I'm pretty sure I have pics of my black PM2 sanded on there, show your mods thread. It doesn't really change the look much but makes it feel very different in hand. If you do it, start with just taking the square edge off. See how it feels and keep going till it's just right for your hand.

Thank you for the review.

I am going to pick up a Spyderco Para 2 and have the standard questions. I plan to use it as my EDC (I have a Military which I love but need the 4-way ambi carry option). As I carry a multitool and/or SAK, the Para 2 is primarily a defensive blade that won't be used a ton for utility.

DLC coating or satin? I like the satin a lot on my Military so is there any reason other than extreme corrosion resistance that I should consider the DLC?
I've heard (here on the forums) that dlc doesn't t add much to corrosion resistance. If not, then it s primarily cosmetic.
Search the forums for this.

I've heard (here on the forums) that dlc doesn't t add much to corrosion resistance. If not, then it s primarily cosmetic.
Search the forums for this.

Several years ago, I emailed Spyderco asking whether DLC improves corrosion resistance, and the representative who answered said it does not.

Jim

I also rounded/sanded the edges of the G10 and wouldn't want to go back to stock. My opinion on hand positioning is similar to the OP's. I find the PM2's grip is best designed for the saber grip. Unfortunately, I generally only use the saber grip for light to medium duty... things which don't really matter how good the grip is anyway. The Mili has its grip rounded close to the blade, so you can choke up more with a hammer grip... but that's a significantly larger knife.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of simplifying my knife 'collection' (I hate that I actually have a collection) but I still just ordered two S30V and two S35VN Para 2's. I considered the Para 3 but practically the 2 is the minimum cutting edge that works for me.

Moreover, I simply found myself carrying my single S35VN Para 2 more than anything else. Please note this is after giving away my S30V version and moving to Emerson/ZT options about 5 years ago, working through that and various other Spydercos, Benchmades and a Sebenza 21.

I want spares in store in case I lose my EDC folder (the original S35VN Para 2) or need to hand out my go-to folder in a difficult situation. I will admit to switching out to a deep-carry pocket clip.

We all have different opinions and that is both interesting and fun, but I think I'm settled on my go-to folder being the Para 2...

Best,

Ben

Why doesn't the PM3 get much talk? you get the full sized handles of the PM2 but with a slightly shorter blade more oriented for edc. I love me PM3! but i prefer my Sage 1 and Sage 3 over it

Why doesn't the PM3 get much talk? you get the full sized handles of the PM2 but with a slightly shorter blade more oriented for edc. I love me PM3! but i prefer my Sage 1 and Sage 3 over it

I mentioned it ;)

Blade just that bit too short for me. If I were king for the day there would be an awful lot more 3.25 inch blade folders in the world. That's my sweet-spot...

Ben

Back