Review Spyderco Paramilitary 3

I posted my thoughts about the Paramilitary 3 and compared it to my Delica 4 and Tenacious.

I like Spyderco as a knife company, I always have, their attention to detail, quality of materials, constantly evolving line of knives all adds up to good business and die hard fans, in this day and age that goes a long way and they have my respect because of it. So it should be of no surprise to me, but often is, that I come back to Spyderco first and often last in my search for a new blade.

I like my Tenacious, it's a stout blade with good steel, G10 scales, and a liner lock, all features I like, add that to its size and you have a pretty well rounded blade. But if that's true then why so often did I find myself carrying my Delica 4, after all they are both built well with similar qualities. Maybe because the Delica has a more ergonomic grip and isn't so large (even though size is why I like the Tenacious), maybe, well I don't know why I just do. If you could only put the best qualities of the Delica 4 and the Tenacious together and simply have everything you like about both all in one quality piece.

I have long heard other Spyderco fans say their favorite is the Paramilitary 2, and although I have XL hands it just looked too big for an EDC folder. During my search I looked at it many times and almost went with it, but I came across the Paramilitary 3 and remembered hearing about it. I watched a half a dozen videos and read countless reviews and soon enough I couldn't get enough of it.

The Paramilitary 3 OAL comes in at 4.27" closed, with a 3" blade a 2.63" full flat ground blade giving it an open OAL of 7.27"
[Comparing that to the Delica 4.25" closed, a 2.875" blade, and 7.125" open].

Yep, they are close, so why carry the PM3 instead? Well because it's features lend to a stronger and better built knife overall suited for hard use and even self defense. The G10 is less likely to be stressed and the texture is easy to grip. A thicker blade on the PM3 should speak for itself, as does the CPM-S30V stainless steel. The compression lock is superior to the spine lock on the Delica and IMO even the liner lock on the Tenacious.

In the hand the Paramilitary 3 feels fantastic and like it was made just for me. The blade feels more substantial and honestly it instills more confidence in the hand. I love the lock, it releases the blade and it's so smooth the blade nearly closes itself under its own weight and opens smoother than any Spyderco I have ever held. I'm not generally a lanyard guy but the large hole is begging for one, I may try it and if I hate it I'll take it back off.

Yep, I like it and I'm keeping it. I will always have affection for the Delica and Tenacious. Next time you think about a folder, just take a better look at the Paramilitary 3, you may be as impressed as me.

Closed the Delica (blue) and the PM3 are almost the same size.
IMG_6548.jpg

Open they are also similar but you can tell the blade is larger. (Photog decided to be tricky, they are closer in size, see image above.)
IMG_6549.jpg

Size in hand comparison.
IMG_6550.jpg

Blade profile-the PM3 is obviously thicker.
IMG_6547.jpg

IMG_6554.jpg

Fits the hand great and the forward choil and jimping of the back of the blade allows you to choke up on it. You can hold it further back as well or even in reverse grip comfortably.
IMG_6553.jpg

The PM3 uses a compression lock which is much stronger than most other folding lock types. The Delica uses a spine lock, while strong it doesn't compare to a liner lock and neither compare to the PM3's Compression Lock.
IMG_6555.jpg

Delica 4 - Paramilitary 3 - Tenacious
IMG_6558.jpg

Note: IMO folders should still be treated as folders, proper knife rules and common sense should always be used. If you need to poke or stab, get a fixed blade, if you need to pry, get a prybar. Don't come whining about cutting off a digit or two or that you broke your folder trying to use it as it wasn't intended. Modern lock are only intended to make folding knives safer, not turn them into a fixed blade.

Last edited:
I think you just sold me on a PM3. I have the Damascus/Ti Delica, and I love it, but I want something just a little hardier without being gigantic and heavy, and I think I PM3 would fit the bill a little better than the PM2, which is a bit too big for EDC IMO. Thanks for the review, and especially the side by side comparison shots.

Para 3 sprint in CRU-WEAR + gray G10. PE and CE. The perfect gift for the SO.

Last edited:
I think you just sold me on a PM3. I have the Damascus/Ti Delica, and I love it, but I want something just a little hardier without being gigantic and heavy, and I think I PM3 would fit the bill a little better than the PM2, which is a bit too big for EDC IMO. Thanks for the review, and especially the side by side comparison shots.

That's why I did it, glad it helped. I love the Delica but the PM3 is so nice. You won't be sorry!

You mean Para 3 :) ?

PE = Plain Edge (Non-Serrated)
CE = Combination (Partially Serrated) Edge
SO = Significant Other

Good read. Your enthusiasm is noted ;) . Delica vs. Para 3 reminds me of Ladybug vs. Manbug.

Last edited:
really liking my para 3,grate size for a EDC folder,yet vary strong with its C-lock,waiting for m4 PE sprint to come along.

Just wait till you try out Sage5 with a compression lock.

Then your really going to be conflicted.

Delica
Pm3
Sage series.

Better yet. Get them all.

I get all of your points except the part where the liner lock is superior to the back lock. That one doesn't compute.

If I tilt a refrigerator it's more secure to prop it up with a stick than it is when the sick is barely holding on to the edge of the top back.

Both work great if you're following the knife safety rules, but under stress I believe the liner lock is better than the delicas spine lock, I like the PM3's compression lock better than either. Ymmv.

Liner-locks suck, 9/10 times. I don't currently own one and I will take the Delica over the PM3 any day of the week. I don't carry my PM2 because I don't much care for the lock. It's clumsy to use - the back lock isn't. Also, the biggest thing I'd hoped for from the PM3 is a slimmer profile while in my pocket. My knives share a pocket with my wallet, and because of the width I must remove the PM2 to get to my wallet. The Delica allows enough room to get my wallet out while remaining clipped. I prefer FRN over this particular G10 as well. My PM2 is like holding a wet fish in the summer - needs more texturing.

I'm glad it's well received, indeed. The Delica is the oldest knife I own, and I haven't found anything I find to be better value. Apparently I found what I like early on.

:)

Reactions: 353
Liner-locks suck, 9/10 times. I don't currently own one and I will take the Delica over the PM3 any day of the week. I don't carry my PM2 because I don't much care for the lock. It's clumsy to use - the back lock isn't. Also, the biggest thing I'd hoped for from the PM3 is a slimmer profile while in my pocket. My knives share a pocket with my wallet, and because of the width I must remove the PM2 to get to my wallet. The Delica allows enough room to get my wallet out while remaining clipped. I prefer FRN over this particular G10 as well. My PM2 is like holding a wet fish in the summer - needs more texturing.

I'm glad it's well received, indeed. The Delica is the oldest knife I own, and I haven't found anything I find to be better value. Apparently I found what I like early on.

:)

So you have a huge wallet, skinny jeans, no dexterity in your fingers, and butter fingers? Yet you blame the knives. :D

Last edited:
Just wait till you try out Sage5 with a compression lock.

Then your really going to be conflicted.

Delica
Pm3
Sage series.

Better yet. Get them all.

I own both the Sage 5 and Para 3. Like both of them. Depends on what you want. The Sage has the deep carry clip (not a big deal to me) and a thinner and taller blade but both are great knives.

FWIW.

If I tilt a refrigerator it's more secure to prop it up with a stick than it is when the sick is barely holding on to the edge of the top back.

Both work great if you're following the knife safety rules, but under stress I believe the liner lock is better than the delicas spine lock, I like the PM3's compression lock better than either. Ymmv.

Back