Spyderco?

Hey guys,

I started collecting knives about 8 months ago and really like some of the designs by alot of the top companies. But I can't seem to get over the thumb hole that Spyderco has on all of their knives. I get that it's for quick opening, but why? It's makes the blade profile so big... Am I the only one like this?

Don't mean to offend anyone, or disrespect Spyderco, just curious.

Thanks,
Samuel

Last edited:
Spyderco makes their knives to use, not to look at. There are a host of reasons why Sal Glesser went with a hole instead of a stud for one hand opening, and yes, it does tend to require wider blades to support what is now a registered trademark of Spyderco, Inc. The thing is, you really need to use one of those ugly knives for the light to dawn. Sal has been accused of designing in the dark, and I don't think he has ever denied it. Get it in hand, open and close a few times, grip it and cut a few things and suddenly all those design elements make sense.

Not all have the hump, but you get more than the opening hole with Spyderco, you get premium materials, and constant evolution.

Like yablanowitz said,, try them, I did & I have a bunch of them now!

1234,,:D

I didn't own a Spyderco knife until joining this forum. They simply weren't on my radar and in fact many knives were not on my radar then. Basically it was not a priority for me as I had all the cutting tools I needed then. Then BF..... and I read about Spydie knives all the time. I finally bought a Native which at that time were being sold by Walmart. I was pleased with the performance.

The design is very successful and practical. You get used to it. I am not a big fan of thumb studs, but I own a lot of modern's with them. I put up with them. Generally speaking I am not really very interested in speedy opening knives.... but I used to like them a lot. My ZT 0770 CF satisfies my speedy opening urges when I want to carry it.

Not all of the Spyderco knives have the big or pronounced hump. The trend seems to be that folks generally want a blade with a lot of belly (height). I guess it does make them stronger. But there are so many designs available that you can satisfy many design urges or preferences.

First Spyderco I purchased was a serrated Delica when they first came out. I thought that they were ugly as homemade sin but the usefulness of the clip, easy opening hole and aggressive serrations sold me on the knife. I use it as a backup to my service revolver in case of a attempted gun snatch. Never had to deploy it in that scenario, thank goodness but it was a great knife to have around when something needed cutting.

I'll be honest, while there are a few good looking Spydercos (that One Eyed Jack, tho), I think most of them are kind of ugly and I mostly look elsewhere for dress knives and pieces to admire. BUT, if I want a knife that will cut well, cut for a long time and be comfortable in the hand while doing it, more often than not I reach for a Spyderco.

Are spyder holes in knives ugly ?
I have never thought of them that way.
Are wide blades generally bad ?
One of my very favorite and best performing knives has a wide blade; 4inch long.

This ; I call it my Little Monster. The lower one shown here. I like it so much I bought another before they stop making them for some reason (comes to me direct from Japan). For comparison this folder has a wide blade, wider than most of my Spydercos of a similar length. Cold Steel Voyager = really great classic knife !

The very first knife I ever bought that had a pocket clip on it had . . . . . a hole to use to open it with my thumb. Not a Spyderco but a Cold Steel. Where did Cold Steel see it first ? Where did they get the idea to borrow to put an opening hole on a Cold Steel ? Mostly or probably all from a Spyderco.

Yes I like narrow blades and I have many, many knives without holes but before the last Case Trapper I just got yesterday . . . the two last knives I bought, which also happen to have super high quality steel (some of the most wear resistant available) were Spyderco knives (with the holes). Where would I go to buy knives with those same alloys ? Not too many choices. Thanks to Spyderco I have these sophisticated tool steels, very well heat treated by the way, in a pocket knife.

That bump and hole look pretty good to me.

Spyderco makes their knives to use, not to look at. There are a host of reasons why Sal Glesser went with a hole instead of a stud for one hand opening, and yes, it does tend to require wider blades to support what is now a registered trademark of Spyderco, Inc. The thing is, you really need to use one of those ugly knives for the light to dawn. Sal has been accused of designing in the dark, and I don't think he has ever denied it. Get it in hand, open and close a few times, grip it and cut a few things and suddenly all those design elements make sense.

You nailed it right on the head. It might not be for everyone but once you have it in hand it just makes sense.

Last edited:
Many Spydercos can mitigate the wide blade by having an inset Spyderhole like found on the Southard.

I buy my knives to use them, so for me everything else is secondary to function. That being said however, I buy knives that perform well at the tasks I need them to do and that are also styled to my taste design-wise (like most people I would imagine). I personally find the "classic" spyderco design (tall leaf-y shaped blade, opening hole, hump etc.) to be appealing to me, but for those who may find it to be more on the distasteful side, it is still unique if nothing else. I suppose for myself, the beauty I see stems from the utility of the design.

If you are just collecting knives, I would go with a different brand. If you are getting knives to use, Spyderco's are fantastic, well made, great bang for your buck knives. You will probably end up liking the spyderco hole after EDCing the knife for a few months.
On the other hand, I do agree that the hole makes some of the designs look and carry a little odd. Like the Manix 2, that knife has a lot of height and does not look like it would carry well. Surprisingly the Manix 2 carries really well, even though it is basically oval shaped.
Overall, Spyderco knives are great user knives!!! I have been into knives for many years, a lot of higher-end knives. I finally ended up trying a Spyderco in 2016, now I own 6 of them. They really know how to make knives!

Spyderco's aren't about looks, they're about functionality. That's what makes them so popular.
If you're collecting knives, then you need to have a Spyderco in your collection. Chances are, you'll end up using it and it will become a favorite.

Spyderco designs are very unique, but in a good way. Spyderco blades are probably among the best slicers on the market.

I thought the same thing until I used one and now I own more Spyderco than any other brand.
My thoughts exactly,after I had my first Spyderco in hand,it went from owning one too at least 40. There like potato chips, you not satisfied until you eat the whole bag ! ;)

I thought the same thing until I used one and now I own more Spyderco than any other brand.
My same exact situation.

There are some Spyderco models where the hole is unobtrusive, like the Mantra 2.

The Spydie hole is functional, and smoother and more secure finger hold than a stud any day of the week IMO. I also find them very attractive.

IMG_7027.jpg

IMG_7035.jpg

Back