Spyderco?

Don't worry, Spyderco's knives are some of the ugliest out there. But that hole is damn good for functionality, and they offer excellent customer service, materials, and F&F for a very reasonable price.

There are some designs that don't have the camel hump, such as the Slysz Bowie. I'd look for those if you are interested, because those look slick.

In general, Spyderco is more about function and the knife's ergonomics than about style and looking good. You should at least try one. Look at the Spyderco Tenacious. I think they are about $40. Amazing knife for the money.

I resisted Spyderco but caved to the reviews and curiosity. Now I even like the hole. I even like the look. You have to admit, the Gayle Bradley 2 is a sexy knife and add on a great lock w/ M4, what is there to question or doubt.

The hole widening the blade also makes it killer at jimping and myself I do like how spydies look.
772d8295-df8c-4b39-9d51-3b31279cda61_zpsg4b2jqfm.jpg

Weird. I've always found thumbs Tues to look sort of unaesthetically appealing and a bit of an obstruction to cutting and sharpening.

Well, except maybe that one gold BM 940 which had some jewel embedded in the stud. Some sort of precious stones. That one would've had panties flying right off.

Handled a bunch of spyderco knives, didn't care for the hole or the looks. Just personal preference really.

The spydie hole is ugly but useful get one and try it if you don't like it sell it here and get most of your money back.

I used to feel the same exact way. I bought a manix 2 about a year ago and have been buying nothing but ! They are simply amazing

If you want a more narrow profile, you CAN go with a thumb disk, thumb ramp, thumb stud or a hole with a lower profile like an oval hole or a rectangular hole or whatever, but there is a reason that the Spyderco hole is round. It's the most secure shape imo.

Your thumb won't risk slipping off it like on a thumb stud and the hole will spin nicely around your thumb as you open the knife.

IMG_2397.JPG IMG_2397.JPG Was just going to post this one JJ!!
This is the Lil Sub Hilt and I can say this is one of my knives that came out of the box PERFECT!
Solid as a rock, with amazingly smooth action and it slices like a pissed off demon!!
Excellent knife!
Joe

I always thought the Spydies were odd looking. I was a Benchmade guy. Then I tried a Griptilian with a hole at my local retailer and I saw the light. Now I have more Spydies than any other brand.

Thought the same thing. Bought a couple Spydercos. Realized I was correct. The hole prevents the knife from being functional for me. My knife spends majority of its time clipped inside my pocket. The hole makes the knife ridiculously wide so it makes it difficult to move anything else in or out of that pocket. Plus I find a thumb stud more comfortable and secure opening with or without gloves than the thumb hole. I still own one--a Salt edition--for carrying at beach and kayaking/boating but it stays inside the waistband which is annoying. However, it's the only completely rustproof knife that I know of so it's a tradeoff I deal with for those environments. I won't ever EDC one though. Despite what the vocal membership on this forum would suggest, plenty of people don't like the thumb hole and that's ok. Different likes and uses for different folks. It just so happens that the Spyderco brand is ideally suited for collectors so that is a major reason why they are so popular on this forum.

How many Spydercos did you buy before you realized they were not functional for you? Just curious.

Maybe I am wrong and have just not bought enough yet. :)

Last edited:
I didn't find Spyderco knives all that appealing for pretty much the same reason, Samuel. I eventually gave the Native a try as the hole doesn't create a hump on the back of the blade like most other models. Great knife! I even started warming up to the thumb hole after a while. Feels easier on the thumb than most thumb studs I've used (especially the pointy style studs like on the Sebenza). I'll eventually get a Delica to give it a try. :)

Odd to look at yes, but highly damn functional. If you can't get over it, thankfully they aren't the only game in town, if if they are the best made and easiest to open. :D

Back