Spyderco's Hawkbill blades? What would you change?

A full serrated 5-6" blade in vg10 or bd-1 would be awesome.
Could be a Spyder Sickle.

I also think a smaller hawkbill would be nice. I've carried a byrd hawkbill for a several of years and found that 75% of the time I used it I would grab the blade like you would handle a scalpel or bare box cutter razor. The curve was great for taking nylon ties and nylon straps off of packaging.

A full serrated 5-6" blade in vg10 or bd-1 would be awesome.
Could be a Spyder Sickle.

A "Spyder-Sickle"? :D I can remember when the original VG-10, 2003 era Spyderhawk was released>> many people at that time were calling the first run Spyderhawk a sickle :rolleyes: It would be so cool to see a fixed blade version of the Spyderhawk with a blade twice the size of the one on the folder :eek:

Other than a new G-10 Harpy I would love to see a premium fixed blade Hawkbill in Spyderco's main line up with either a Micarta or G-10 handle and a "Tek-Lok" sheath.

For a trip down Fantasy Avenue I would love to see a matching set of a G-10 Harpy along with a G-10 Spyderhawk in a nice gift set :cool:

Good suggestions, a fixed version and dragonfly variant i think would do well. I love the ladybug versions they came out with, its one of the few blades where i really like having a fully serrated blade.
And thanks for chiming in Sal, i think I speak for everyone that its awesome to hear the thoughts and opinions of a companies founder/owner. And i always enjoy hearing the stories of how certain designs were made for and how they came about.

I love the Superhawk. One of my favorite spydercos. I would love a new updated version of it.
Maybe a new steel like Maxamet with grey G10 handles with diamond pattern like the cruwear manix sprint.
Now that would be a sick knife!

I have the new Myrtle and so far it's been a great edc knife so far. Feels great in the hand. Awesome custom pocket clip. Feels great in the pocket.
The hooked tip is really nice like other hawk bill blade and the leafshape belly makes for most other nice edc tasks a breeze.

I really recommend the Myrtle. I hope more people catch on to this knife and it gets popular because it's awesome. I don't want this one to be discontinued. But it more than likely will. Most of the cool and weird looking spydercos take too long to catch on and don't become popular and highly sought after until being discontinued.

Used it today for tons of cord, nylon webbing and small twigs cutting in a 6 hour tree-targeting session

20161201_111945_zpsyhd2qcju.jpg

couldn't be happier with its performance

I love the Superhawk. One of my favorite spydercos. I would love a new updated version of it.
Maybe a new steel like Maxamet with grey G10 handles with diamond pattern like the cruwear manix sprint.
Now that would be a sick knife!

I have the new Myrtle and so far it's been a great edc knife so far. Feels great in the hand. Awesome custom pocket clip. Feels great in the pocket.
The hooked tip is really nice like other hawk bill blade and the leafshape belly makes for most other nice edc tasks a breeze. .

I'll have to check that Myrtle model out because you're not the only one I've heard to say good things about it. But in regards to your love of the SUPERHAWK model I'm wondering if you also feel that Spyderco did that model a grave injustice by not making it in Spyderedge :(?

I personally believe that had they offered that model up in Spyderedge they would have sold at least 5 times as many units if not more. Because Hawkbills and serrated blades are truly the ticket to optimal performance for what you would use Hawkbill blades for IMO.

I would love a SUPERHAWK with rounded/wavy serrations, M390 blade steel and either a Carbon Fiber handle or G-10 scales. A new edition G-10 Harpy would truly catapult a lot of interest in Hawkbill Spyders and I'm absolutely certain of it :cool:

A moderately priced superhawk would be nice.

With less curve and angle the SUPERHAWK could have opened up a new sector of Hawkbill blades. But by not offering it in Spyderedge I think a lot of hard core Hawkbill users like myself lost interest in it. But to bring one back in Spyderedge would truly attract a lot of users in the commercial fishing industry and other industries as well.

Pull cutting had some advantages but most of the time you have better performance in Spyderedge from any Hawkbill blade.

I just picked up my first hawk bill, the tasman salt. This thing is amazing, that is all I have to say. I think everyone should have at least one in there collection. It cuts like no one's business.

I would be very happy to see a SE Superhawk.

With all the talk about which models to do a Sprint Run I think it's really high time that they consider one of their past Hawkbill models. But if they would do the Superhawk model in a Sprint Run then by all means they need to offer it in Spyderedge this go around.

I would suggest either burgundy or dark green G-10 scales and a blade of XHP, full Spyderedge. Or what about the possibility of a Spyderhawk in LC200N in full Spyderedge with either nuclear orange scales or nuclear green scales like they did with the USN Sprint Catcherman?

I have some catching-up to do...steel choices have evolved whilst I have been wandering!!!

Maybe not something i would change, but i would be curious how a ffg hb would perform.

I'd like a shorter (three finger handle) folding hawkbill knife with a rather wide handle and blade.

Maybe not something i would change, but i would be curious how a ffg hb would perform.

I've wondered that myself. Because a good friend of mine on another Forum said that he discovered that with conventional design blades that Full Flat Grind, Spyderedged blades seem to perform better than Spyderedged blades in Hollow Grind, Sabre Grind ect. And since he pointed that out I've also wondered how a Full Flat Grind Hawkbill would do in comparison to the ones we've had so far?

Because when I collectively remember all the conventional design Spyders like the C-54 Calypso which was a Full Flat Grind too by the way>> and in Spyderedge the C-54 Calypso was indeed a mega-beast with teeth>> I can't help but think that a Full Flat Grind somehow gives it a distinct advantage in SE. He went on to say that he noticed that his Spyderedged STRETCH model performed much better that many others he compared it to>> and yes it is a FFG as well.

I'm fortunately enough to have one of the original FB-05 TEMPERANCE 1 models in Spyderedge>> and yes it has a Full Flat Grind. I have that knife in plain edge and Spyderedge both and the Spyderedged model is a great cutting machine. Why they have ceased making many of their fixed blades in Spyderedge is baffling to me. I would really love to try out a Hawkbill maybe even in the size range of a Spyderhawk or at least the size of a Superhawk in Full Flat Grind SE.

Last edited:
Bring back the fully serrated crossbill. It's my favorite cardboard knife--nothing competes with it. But I can't find them anywhere anymore. Bought it for something ridiculous like $20. Bring it back, and I promise to buy 5.

I love the Harpy, even like the blade length, just wish the scales/grips were longer. Love it being serrated.

Not really crazy about the other hawkbills.

I love the Harpy, even like the blade length, just wish the scales/grips were longer. Love it being serrated.

Not really crazy about the other hawkbills.

I can certainly give you a HIGH FIVE in agreement with the HARPY model ;) I've owned and used many of them over the years but the one I really miss is the G-10 Harpy they made back in the ATS-55 era. I carried mine for almost 8 years before it got stolen :mad:.

The HARPY model has a rigid feel to it that no other Spyderco Hawkbill has ever had IMO. I'm certainly holding out hope that someday Spyderco will consider doing a Sprint Run of the G-10 Harpy. I would love to see one with either XHP or LC200N blade steel. They could do different handle colors for SE & PE.

If they are not ever going to give us a Spyderedged SUPERHAWK model then I wish they would consider doing a larger version of the Harpy in full SE.

Bring back the fully serrated crossbill. It's my favorite cardboard knife--nothing competes with it. But I can't find them anywhere anymore. Bought it for something ridiculous like $20. Bring it back, and I promise to buy 5.

For less than 5 times $20, get one of these

CAM01556_zpsnt7i5u0t.jpg

won't regret it!

Back