Spydiechef!

Hi Miso,

Thank you for the welcome. And your thoughts. It does make sense to use the sharpest tool at hand. :) I guess when my wife was handling most of our cooking, we did a his and hers thing. She had a couple she strongly preferred. And I had my favorites as well. Of course, her santoku was one of the best in the drawer.

Thank you again.

You are welcome.
One more thing is that I try not going into collecting chef knives! There are so many high-end chef knives in Japan, which are so attractive...... Oh, those hand-forged Gyuto......

Miso

I've got a spare blade. The second one has later lock up around 80% without any lock stick. The fit and finish are very consistent. And the blade grind is very even like the first one. I think the Taichung quality really shines on Spydiechef.

Chef_duplicate.JPG

There seemed to be loctite only on the pivot screw. I felt that it was bit stronger than regular blue Loctite but not as strong as red.

It has been about a few weeks since I got the first blade. More I play with it, more I appreciate the design and execution. The handle slabs have a cutout on the presentation site and a concave on the other side to make the spyder hole more accessible. They align very nicely with the hole when the blade is closed.

Chef_hole.JPG

It is a small detail. But this kind of small details really gives the knife grace.

Miso

I have used it with teflon washers for about a week and do so without oil. I did not really remove oil with alcohol or anything, but just wiped down everything inside.
Nevertheless, the knife is very smooth without oil. The detent ball makes a little bit of noise, but it doesn't affect the operation.
I opened it up this morning and found no damage or deformation on the washers.
I really like it with teflon washers so far.
Just FYI.

Miso

I have two Spydiechefs. The lock stick was present on one, but none on the other. It subsided with a repetitive application of Sharpie and went away after a couple of weeks.
It is a bit difficult to apply Sharpie to the blade tang when closed. It can be done at a position where the blade is just about to engage with the lock bar. FYI.

Miso

Thanks for continuing to maintain this review, I can't help but be drawn to the SpydieChef even though I certainly don't need it. There's just something about it. I hope you continue to enjoy both of yours, Miso!

Thank you, SurfisLove, for the compliment.
I guess it is not really necessity but craving which makes us to collect knives.

Miso

I scratched up one of my blades, so decided to remove them. I sanded the blade from #180 up to #1,000 and then went back to #600 to give a satin finish.
The marks are gone, but the blade looks good.

Chef_satin.JPG

Miso

That's a great looking finish! Haven't snagged one yet but I'm definitely still intrigued.

The original post was a really detailed and thoughtful review. I just don't get how a knife with such a pronounced belly can be called a Whatncliffe?

I guess I don't have a good understanding of blade shapes.......

Miso

miso2 miso2 Really a wonderful, wonderful review here; one of the best and most practical knife reviews I have ever read. Your comparison with other knives on size, grind, and slicing is superb! Great diagrams and great pics. Thank you and well done!

I have a Spydiechef inbound. I’m actually a little scaired this knife may render the rest of my collection moot!

Do you still have the Spydiechef and what is your opinion of it after all this time? Are you still running Teflon? How has the finish held up to wear? It seems to me the scales would look marvelous with a heavy “pocket patina.”

PS: You also have a very tasteful collection of knives displayed in this thread. :thumbsup:

Wow! Thanks for the compliments, BD_01 BD_01 !

I still have both of the Spydiechef and have them run on Teflon.
I took one of them to a trip with me, and it worked great as a utility/food-prep knife.
For the last trip, Kizer Feist came with me, but it didn't work as good as Spydiechef.
LC200N takes a very keen edge and is also really easy to touch up.
Spyiechef is the best travel companion for me.

The scales get some scratches, but the bead blasted finish looks good with them.

The blade is somewhat prone to scratches compared to other popular steels.
So you want to protect it well on a sharpening stone.

I will buy Spydiechef2 if it ever comes out!

Hello miso2 miso2 , I purchased a Spydiechef and shipped it across to Canada. For some reason customs took the washers from me... I have no way of purchasing the teflon and phosphor bronze washers. Would you be able to help out?

PS: WONDERFUL review. I am amazed by how in depth your review was. Saved me some panic when I received my Spydiechef.

Last edited:
Back