Stained Curly Maple Utility with Bronze Accents

I got some really great photos of this knife that I made a while back. I posted it before but wanted to give it a clearer view with the better pics and showcase the outstanding leather work from my friend and sheath maker Claude Scott.

It's a hand forged blade from 80CrV2 steel with silicon bronze fittings and a stained curly/quilted/beeswing maple handle. The blade has what I will be referring to from henceforth as a 'French Patina' (French's brand yellow mustard in layman's terms ;) , sounds so much classier, doesn't it? :D ).

All comments and discussion welcome.

32570112413_0d8f9e7569_c.jpg

33343646736_62f8224b74_c.jpg

I really want to say thanks to Coop for these fine pics. I'm always impressed by the way Jim manages to catch ALL the details and features of a knife in only an image or two, instead of the 8 or 9 it would take me to show the same details. And he does it in such a clear and striking way each time, with impressive layouts. My hat is off to you Jim. You're a true professional.

i keep wondering, how do you groove the edges of the butt?

Addendum: a round file and some sand paper, mentioned in another thread.

Last edited:
I got some really great photos of this knife that I made a while back. I posted it before but wanted to give it a clearer view with the better pics and showcase the outstanding leather work from my friend and sheath maker Claude Scott.

It's a hand forged blade from 80CrV2 steel with silicon bronze fittings and a stained curly/quilted/beeswing maple handle. The blade has what I will be referring to from henceforth as a 'French Patina' (French's brand yellow mustard in layman's terms ;) , sounds so much classier, doesn't it? :D ).

All comments and discussion welcome.

32570112413_0d8f9e7569_c.jpg

33343646736_62f8224b74_c.jpg

I really want to say thanks to Coop for these fine pics. I'm always impressed by the way Jim manages to catch ALL the details and features of a knife in only an image or two, instead of the 8 or 9 it would take me to show the same details. And he does it in such a clear and striking way each time, with impressive layouts. My hat is off to you Jim. You're a true professional.

Beautiful work. I am just starting out so it's great to have your artistry as a guide.
On that note- I could not attend your upcoming handle making class. I contacted Pat about a possible video of the event for which i would happily prepay. I cannot reach back out to her because the invitation was pulled from Blade Forum and I did not keep the address. How can I reconnect?
Best Regards,
Howard

Back