Sticky Tri-Ad Advice

Well, I received my first folder with the infamous "sticky" Tri-Ad, a Frenzy as it turns out. Unlike any other Tri-Ad I own or have handled, the lock on this one is significantly more difficult to disengage, requiring two hands most of the time. I've lubricated it, but that didn't remedy the issue. The rest of the knife is perfect, so I'm a little reluctant to contact Cold Steel to have it repaired/replaced. For a variety of reasons, however, I can't afford to keep this one as-is if it will forever remain a two-handed knife.

So what's the prognosis, will this eventually wear in with continued use? Anyone with this issue had it rectify on its own as the lock bar surfaces smooth?

-Steve

First thing might be to open and close it 1800 times while watching Netflix, and then evaluate for any improvement.
The nice thing is that even my worst :mad: Triad locks , the ones I had to close using the edge of a counter or table , EVENTUALLY became perfect :). Other locks get worse with time . Triads just get better ! :p

As already said a lot of open/closes will sort it out over time. If you really need to do something and it's bugging you, open her up and check for any burrs or rough edging on the lock bar tooth that seats into the tang cutout. You can use a bit of 1500 grit paper to lightly polish a bit of it, so as to not compromise any tolerances. Might just need a tiny scuff in a certain direction to remove the stick :)

You can also leave the blade open at 90 deg to the handle for a couple days. Should be alright after that. They do get better with time.

Sorry for the delayed response, but I've been out of town for a bit. Thanks to all for your recommendations. I'm going to try working in the lock for awhile and see if I can get it to smooth. I'm reluctant to take it apart to correct it; if it comes down to that, I'll send it to Cold Steel and let them fix it.

If anyone has further insights, please continue to share them. Thanks again!

-Steve

;) If all else fails , just send that puppy to me ! I'll trainer up right . Return real smooth acting . Should only take a few months . May be slightly used looking but fully functional or your money back ! I'd love to have a Frenzy to play with . :p

;) If all else fails , just send that puppy to me ! I'll trainer up right . Return real smooth acting . Should only take a few months . May be slightly used looking but fully functional or your money back ! I'd love to have a Frenzy to play with . :p
I ve had an occasional one that was hard to close, but I would leave it open at 90 degrees at night . Then , I would open and close it during the day a couple of dozen times. After a few weeks of this routine, the knife became much easier to close. Not sure if leaving it open halfway for long periods of time actually helped, but it didn't hurt. Still have one 4 inch blade CS that I occasionally have to close by pushing the back of the blade against my leg. Can t reach the blade when I have to push hard against the lock release sometimes. Still love that lock.

Just a quick update. The lock on my Frenzy is smoothing out nicely. I used some silicone spray and repeated openings. The sticking point on my lock occurred when the lockback was fully seated, so I didn't try leaving the blade open because I didn't think that would help. For those who have troublesome Tri-Ads, I can attest to the fact that they will get better with use. Or you can avail yourself of DocJD's generous offer to assist....

-Steve

Out of curiosity how does leaving the blade at 90 degrees for a while cause tbe triad to smooth out. Most the sticky triads I have seen felt like they were binding.

I've never heard of the 90 degree thing, but in theory it might take a little bit of the tension out of the spring.

http://www.coldsteel.com/tri_ad_lock
:) I can't prove it , but I believe this practice may help ease the spring and allow for easier opening . It can't help difficult closing or rough feeling lock action . Only lube and working in will help there , short of filing / sanding the lock parts . :cool:

Back