Recommendation? straight razor ~ fix it or pitch it ?

Hello all,
I don't usually post here but today here i am. i use safety razors currently and have considered to learn to use a straight razor and have some stuff collected that is straight razor related , weird old timey utensils.... Anyway , this razor from Waterville Cutlery 1848 may or may not be worthy of bringing back to a useable state. cleaning it is easy enough but i know that i don't have the tools or experience to fix it . look at that profile :confused:
May cost close to 100$ to send to the right guy. versus a new one.

So , fix it? or leave it on the sorta kool shelf ?

Thank you all..

My totally non-professional opinion:
A smiler is easier to fix than a frown, and so bringing that one back to square, while it would shave off a bunch of steel, would still be useable.
But because its in that state, and not a super well known brand (although its possible I've just never heard of it, likely in fact) I'd let this one be a curio, and spend the 100 on one that is going to be a good shaver. Given that you can get a shaver for inside that price, and since you DE, you have everything else, I'd be feeling like going the route with fewer unknowns. For all we know there is a lot of micro-fracture corrosion in that blade and its just a crumbly mess.

For all we know there is a lot of micro-fracture corrosion in that blade
so the molecular integrity of this razor may be at risk during the honing process?

today shaving is a little scientific....who knew ... thanks gg I'll look for another if i someday what to go that route.

Its not super common as far as I know, but blades can become "crumbly" over time, and thats due to a very specific type of corrosion. I don't know that your blade would be a likely candidate, but it is a risk worth considering. That is a very old blade, as they go, so I'd be tempted to try to preserve rather than use that one.

A blade from the 1800s is better left is as history. That's just my opinion.

There are people who 'restore' historical firearms by removing paints and such things found on them. What they didn't know is that the paint was added as some specific part of a campaign and they just destroyed part of that weapon's history.

I would not pay for a restore.
I would clean off rust and try fix it myself for fun.

Posting over at Straight Razor Place will get you a lot of good advice. You'll also find a lot of shave ready razors in the BST way under your $100 guesstimate.

That is a nice looking razor. It should shave well after a proper hone. There is enough steel to hone to good steel. There is not enough spine in the photographs to determine the shape of the spine, but the smile does not need correction. It is most likely that it was designed that way. I would not pay for a restore, but if you don't have the right hones for a razor (up to 12000 or 16000 grit), I would spring for a good honing.

That is a nice looking razor. It should shave well after a proper hone. There is enough steel to hone to good steel. There is not enough spine in the photographs to determine the shape of the spine
pn327Tal.jpg

i found a bunch of old razor goodies. will post em' 4sale.

Could some one give me any information about a Geo Waldman straight razor? It's in a leather rectangular case stamped with Geo Waldman, Davenport, Iowa on one side then, on the back of the case it's stamped "Made in Germany" The razor itself is also stamped with the same thing. The handle is just made from a plain, black plastic material. Am I holding a piece of history or just am olde tyme novelty?

Could some one give me any information about a Geo Waldman straight razor? It's in a leather rectangular case stamped with Geo Waldman, Davenport, Iowa on one side then, on the back of the case it's stamped "Made in Germany" The razor itself is also stamped with the same thing. The handle is just made from a plain, black plastic material. Am I holding a piece of history or just am olde tyme novelty?
Pictures would help a great deal, so would starting your own dedicated thread instead of piggybacking on another one. I collect straights and will be happy to help you out if I am able.

Back