Straight Razor

Hello all,

I purchased my first straight razor about a year and a half ago. It is a vintage german made Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co restored with birdseye scales. It does the trick. I am not quite certain how close of a shave is to be expected with straights, but when I finish shaving my face feels like sandpaper when rubbing upwards. I learned the trick is to heat up the face with hot water (after a lot of painful shaves). I am still new to the straight razor world as I have been searching for a maple burl Harner razor for longer than I have had this one (to no avail). Anyhow, just want to know anybody else's personal experience with other blades.

Thanks for reading,

Chris

You have to shave both with the grain and against the grain in order to get a completely smooth face. If you are still learning then you need to just focus on doing a one pass shave before moving up to the two or three pass shave that is required to get the smooth finish:)
Also- you mention your face prep but what about your stropping methods? Also, what is the grind on your razor?
If you are interested in more information message me and I will be happy to share lots of trial and error formed straight razor shaving advice!
Here is a picture of my shave of the day razor:

You have to shave both with the grain and against the grain in order to get a completely smooth face. If you are still learning then you need to just focus on doing a one pass shave before moving up to the two or three pass shave that is required to get the smooth finish:)
Also- you mention your face prep but what about your stropping methods? Also, what is the grind on your razor?
If you are interested in more information message me and I will be happy to share lots of trial and error formed straight razor shaving advice!
Here is a picture of my shave of the day razor:

pretty cool! any experience with the straight razors on the bay?

I recently googled for the best safety razors and it perked my interests for straight razors. They seem like the badass version of the safety razor, but seem so much more eligant to shave with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back