Strip the black clip? Etching stainless steel?

I think I'm gonna have to try that. Anything tips, dos or dont's, or is just to blast away?

I may have held that one over a candle, now that I think about it..Ive used both torch and open flame.

These were all done w/ a small torch.

The only tips I have are: De-grease/Clean clips of oil(s)/ finger prints.. Use a pair of pliers ( I used needle nose/Leatherman Juice) to hold the clip while heating. And I only hit the back of clip w/ heat/flame..You can see the color come up as you're heating..and you will have to move the clip or flame back and forth for even shading (or not..for mottled coloring)..seems the longer heated.. the darker the color..

Hope that helps..

Post some pics of the results.

Last edited:
Reactions: 353
Think I'm gonna try with the candle/open flame first as I really like the grey hue on the first clip you posted. Grey is what I'm after..

That picture might be deceiving..the color is actually more bronze..w/ green and orange hues..If you want a grayish finish..I saw this pic in the Spyderco sub..(hijacked)..PCB dipped..Ive yet to try it, but..looks great IMO..

Clip PCB dipped for 15 minutes...
SPQvm7F.jpg

dJvp38F.jpg

I agree, that is the look I want. How ever PCB is very hard to come by for private persons where I live. I need to use some other etching medium...

What's your preferred method? A plasic bottle filled with rock and some water or something?

I know I've read about something like that a long time ago, but the details is blurred..
I use a peanut butter jar, and either some ceramic pie crust weights, or some polished river rock I got from Hobby Lobby. Drop in the weights/rocks, drop in the blade, spray some WD-40 in there (water would also work, I suppose, if the blade is stainless), wrap in a big towel, tape the bejeebers out of it, and throw it in the dryer on "fluff" (non-heat setting) with a couple other towels for cushioning for about 15 minutes.

Got hold of some FeCl3(PCB) pure powder today. So etching is on the menu this weekend! :thumbsup::cool:

Last edited:
A big THANK YOU to Icky Thump Icky Thump for getting me on the right track here! :thumbsup:

I put the clip in the solution for about 3 minutes and voilà.. Perfect!

Before, the clip is only sanded so you can see all the scratches:

After, a nice even grey hazy finnish.

Goes nice along with the grey G10:

Last edited:
Back