Surefire G2 Nitrolon - Q: How do you remove the lens?

I have a Surefire G2 with a melted/distorted lens. I intend to remove it and replace it with a glass lens.

Q: How do I remove the existing lens? Is there a trick? After removing the head assembly from the body of the light, I tried pushing gently inward, but it didn't move. I didn't know if it's because the lens is distorted, or because I need to unscrew something first. I didn't want to force it and break the project before it starts!

Help is appreciated! Thanks!

I think you have to remove that retaining ring, which is in front of the lens. Looks like it has detents where a tool would fit in there to unscrew it - see what I mean?

There is nothing wrong with a distorted lens, btw. The chicks dig it. This one does not have the retaining ring because its not a G2.

Jan092008004Large2.jpg

Jan092008003Large.jpg

Some G2's and 6P's:

f7c515f5.jpg

Call surefire and they will replace the bezel for you.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

This lens definitely needs replaced. The damage is significantly worse than the photo in the previous message and the projected beam has a very distracting pattern of dark and bright spots.

This was a case of a light carried in a kydex pouch on my belt accidentally getting turned "on." I don't know how, but somehow the tailcap got turned enough for it to happen. I noticed when I felt an intense, burning sensation. :D The kydex light carrier was melted and distorted too, but I was able to bend it back into shape. The lens is toast.

I'm going to replace it with glass instead of polycarbonate.

Last edited:
Back again ...

I got the lens out with no problems. When I measure it with a ruler, it's almost exactly 29 mm in diameter (I can't find my caliper, so this is the best I can do).

Here's the problem: I'm looking www.DealExtreme.com for some replacement lenses, but they don't have anything in 29mm. The have many sizes, including 28mm and 30mm, but not 29mm.

Could my lens have warped enough to be a full millimeter either larger or smaller than its supposed to be?

What diameter should the lens be?

THANKS!

Back again ...

I got the lens out with no problems. When I measure it with a ruler, it's almost exactly 29 mm in diameter (I can't find my caliper, so this is the best I can do).

Here's the problem: I'm looking www.DealExtreme.com for some replacement lenses, but they don't have anything in 29mm. The have many sizes, including 28mm and 30mm, but not 29mm.

Could my lens have warped enough to be a full millimeter either larger or smaller than its supposed to be?

What diameter should the lens be?

THANKS!

Call surefire and they will replace the bezel for you.

What he said.

Thanks for that suggestion. If they were willing to use glass instead of polycarbonate, I would do that.

Thanks for that suggestion. If they were willing to use glass instead of polycarbonate, I would do that.

As far as I know, they use glass. Perhaps you got an older model? I know they switched from Pyrex to Borafloat at one point.

They might be more pricey, but what about flashlightlens.com? Side by side they really do look a lot better.

I have ordered from flashlightlens.com before. They are legit, if you can determine which lens to order.

Buck and powernoodle ... thanks for the pointer! I didn't know about that site until now. I'll give it a look. If nothing else, I'll bet they can give me the correct diameter to acquire.

As far as I know, they use glass. Perhaps you got an older model? I know they switched from Pyrex to Borafloat at one point.

I have probably half a dozen G2s, including a couple with the lock-out tailcaps (the newer version). All of them have polycarbonate lenses. If Surefire has switched to a good quality glass, that's a good thing!

Wow! www.flashlightlens.com is a great site! They have an application chart that has all the info you could want. The correct diameter for the Surefire G2 is 28.8 mm.

Thanks again, guys!

Back