Survive! Knives Heads Up

Hey guys, I'm on the hunt for a 4.7 in 3V. But here's the interesting twist, I can buy it outright or I have CPK EDC in Delta 3V that I'l trade for the 4.7.
My EDC has black Micarta slabs and a verticle Kydex sheath. Oh, I've had it since April and I've not cut anything with it. I've barely messed with it.
Does anybody have vs a 4.7 in 3V they want to part with?
Thank everybody.
Tim
ps. I am not wanting to sell my EDC, It's trading fodder. :)

Hey guys, I'm on the hunt for a 4.7 in 3V. But here's the interesting twist, I can buy it outright or I have CPK EDC in Delta 3V that I'l trade for the 4.7.
My EDC has black Micarta slabs and a verticle Kydex sheath. Oh, I've had it since April and I've not cut anything with it. I've barely messed with it.
Thank everybody.
Tim

Have you tried posting this in the CPK b/s/t thread? The S!K page on facebook might work also.

Thanks brother, yes, I've posted over at CPK. But unfortunately, I don't have a facebook account.

Thank everybody.
Tim

Hey guys, I'm still on the hunt for a S!K 4.7 in 3V. I still have the CPK EDC in D3V for trade on it or I could just outright buy her from you.
If anybody has a S!K 4.7 in 3V, I'd love to talk turkey with you.

Hey guys, I'm still on the hunt for a S!K 4.7 in 3V. I still have the CPK EDC in D3V for trade on it or I could just outright buy her from you.
What kinda scales do you have on the edc and are you interested in other sk! Models or just the 4.7

Must keep my 3v 4.7, absolute favorite knife....
but I have a CruforgeV F2 4.7 I'll put up for grabs, if you are open to that steel type, or a 5.1 in 3v (one 5.1 3v with some miles on it, and one that's just been pulled from the sheath, like the CFV.) not exactly what you requested, but closest I can part with. some options for ya', anyway.

Also, Skycool has a cpm154 on the exchange. Looks like the 20cv is gone already.

Last edited:
Must keep my 3v 4.7, absolute favorite knife....
but I have a CruforgeV F2 4.7 I'll put up for grabs, if you are open to that steel type, or a 5.1 in 3v (one 5.1 3v with some miles on it, and one that's just been pulled from the sheath, like the CFV.) not exactly what you requested, but closest I can part with. some options for ya', anyway.

Also, Skycool has a cpm154 on the exchange. Looks like the 20cv is gone already.

Hey Packerrat! Thanks for the offer. An S!K 4.7 in 3V is my grail knife. Is the F2 a coated carbon steel blade? Could a person chemically strip the coating and force a patina for protection like a Swamp Rat or a Busses? I realize the patina wouldn't be as good as the coating, but does it wear off when batoning?
Sorry for the questions, I have/had my heart set on D3V!
Thanks.
Tim

Last edited:
^Hey Tim,

Just one thing.. there's no GSO 4.7 in D3V in existence yet. The new spec 4.7 and 5.1 are all both in the pre-Delta treatment - very good, just not D3V.

As for the coating on the CruforgeV, I think someone on the forum tried to strip it and said it's a PITA. I think you can search for that thread..

Cheers,
C.

^Hey Tim,

Just one thing.. there's no GSO 4.7 in D3V in existence yet. The new spec 4.7 and 5.1 are all both in the pre-Delta treatment - very good, just not D3V.

As for the coating on the CruforgeV, I think someone on the forum tried to strip it and said it's a PITA. I think you can search for that thread..

Cheers,
C.

Thanks CataD! I appreciate the helpful info. I know I wanted the 4.7 on 3V but admit I know little about the steel in this knife.

Thanks CataD! I appreciate the helpful info. I know I wanted the 4.7 on 3V but admit I know little about the steel in this knife.
Afraid I don't own a Delta blade yet, but I'm one of those yahoos that oils on the fly. If you use and care for your tools regularly, it may not matter much to you either. (Although my heart longs for Delta, just to have it :) but functionally, I wouldn't know the difference because of my usage patterns.)

CataD is right- no Delta 4.7 yet :( I believe Delta only started on the 4.1s and later models. I am one of the least eloquent souls on this forum, even as a long time lurker before finally paying my way today. Again, as CataD recommends, there are some great threads on metalurgy and Guy's processes, field testing, etc . Given the challenge in obtaining your desired blade, it's well worth your time to dig it up, especially if you are gonna put it to work.

I can't speak to the durability of the CFV. Once I started driving my 3v, I haven't put it down. The CFV was supposed to be among the burliest of steels, but less weather resistant. Climate and usage purpose may provide your own answer.

I picked it up as a backup to my 3v 4.7, after falling in love with the ergo and blade size, but unable to get another 3v at the time. It also seemed nice as a BOB knife. The chickenhawk in me thought it would be more subtle and easier to keep out of the light if I were in a pinch.

I'm only a weekend warrior, but after beating the shit out of a couple of my GSOs, I feel like they are so overdesigned and so robust that you'd pretty much need to be cutting through car doors daily to have a legitimate fear of picking one steel over another from them. IMHO, find a buddy that has one, any spec, get it in your hand and fart around with it. First hand experience will beat theory down in seconds. I'm in the Atlanta, Georgia metropolitan area. If you're local, you can throw down on mine for a few tests.

But I agree with yo uabout it being my "grail knife" :) stick with yer gut.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I recently picked up a new spec 5.1 cpm3v, the previous owner used some kind of oil to soften the micarta scales and they were completely soaked. When I took the scales off for a cleaning the the tang was pitted and very discolored under the scales. Black and gummy. I cleaned it up with some mineral oil and ultra fine scotch brite pads and took most of it off except the pitting. Any ideas what to do with these micarta scales? I'd hate to put them back on not knowing what was used on them. I know S!K no longer has 5.1 scales in stock.
Anyone selling some new spec 5.1 G10 scales? (Possibly camo but not picky at this point).
Thanks.

Hi guys. I recently picked up a new spec 5.1 cpm3v, the previous owner used some kind of oil to soften the micarta scales and they were completely soaked. When I took the scales off for a cleaning the the tang was pitted and very discolored under the scales. Black and gummy. I cleaned it up with some mineral oil and ultra fine scotch brite pads and took most of it off except the pitting. Any ideas what to do with these micarta scales? I'd hate to put them back on not knowing what was used on them. I know S!K no longer has 5.1 scales in stock.
Anyone selling some new spec 5.1 G10 scales? (Possibly camo but not picky at this point).
Thanks.

Ive had good luck cleaning micarta scales with regular old dish soap.

Joe - as much as I'd love to sell you the EDC, I need it as it as trading fodder.
Sorry my friend.

As for the coating on the CruforgeV, I think someone on the forum tried to strip it and said it's a PITA. I think you can search for that thread.

It cerakote, so not going to be easy to remove at all, unless you sandblast it. I've got 2 Cru-V 4.7's (Ugly Betties), pound the heck out of them and coating has shiny spots, but holding up well. I believe Cru-V rusts pretty easy, so the coating is a godsend for me. Takes and holds a razor edge and very tough steel. Sold off all my other Survives (4.7's, 2.5's, 5.1's) as these were the standouts in terms of outright performance and value for me (~$115 and indestructible based on my normal use).

FWIW, Have/will bought/buy just about every other Cru-V knife from any maker I can get as well.

Back