Survivors: other knives you like

I'll inject with a subtopic "other stones and abrasives you like".
For an exaggerated recurve like a kukri I'd start with an aggressive scythe stone.
If you check the offerings from BF user "FortyTwoBlades" he has a large variety of excellent stones.
The main problem with exaggerated recurves is that to sharpen them you need a rounded stone.
His "Bull Thistle" ruby stone would be a good choice for taking out the chips because it is highly rounded.
From there you'd want something finer, I'd use his "Arctic Fox" stone with the highly dressed edges option selected.
If you want more polish after that I'd mount a strop on a dowel and load it with a fine abrasive paste.

I'll inject with a subtopic "other stones and abrasives you like".
For an exaggerated recurve like a kukri I'd start with an aggressive scythe stone.
If you check the offerings from BF user "FortyTwoBlades" he has a large variety of excellent stones.
The main problem with exaggerated recurves is that to sharpen them you need a rounded stone.
His "Bull Thistle" ruby stone would be a good choice for taking out the chips because it is highly rounded.
From there you'd want something finer, I'd use his "Arctic Fox" stone with the highly dressed edges option selected.
If you want more polish after that I'd mount a strop on a dowel and load it with a fine abrasive paste.

42 has a lot of no frills goodness on his site. I've used a dowel with different grits of sandpaper for some big recurved blades and it works pretty well also.

I've settled down on my knife buying a bit in the last couple of months but these two Busses look like they'll be keepers, haven't had a chance to use them yet though. I had a Hog Nose monster come in too but I moved it along. The maroon handled one is a 2nd gen Ergo Battle Mistress, it's very well balanced for such a big blade and the handle feels comfortable. The other is a Bunker Buster in SR-101. It's basically a Scrapyard Chophouse with a micarta handle instead of Res-C and I really like my Chophouses so I imagine it'll do just fine. I might round off the pointy bit on the pommel, dunno yet.
WrNKOod.jpg

I absolutely love ESEE's Camp Lore line. Every one of the modified handles has been an improvement on the originals for me and losing the choils has been even better. From top to bottom is the RB3, 3HM, 4HM, and 6HM. The 6 is the newest and I haven't stripped the coating off it yet but it'll be coming off at some point as well.
toprlbM.jpg

I've been using a Skrama a bit that was loaned to me and just had it's little brother show up in the mail today but haven't had a chance to use it yet. The Skrama has a fugly but comfortable handle, the Jaakaari(sp?)Puuko feels like it's gonna be very comfortable also.

I was going to order a skrama but ended up getting the jakaaripuka 110 instead based off a recommendation. Seems like itd be right up my alley.

And as far as sharpening tge kukri it was somewhat of a process of trial and error for a while i just used sand paper by hand which worked ok but now i have a set of small stones that i freehand with that work very well. Thanks for the tip ill check out 42 blades.

An esee 6 was the blade that got me back into bushcrafting so esee has a special place in my heart. Ive wanted to check out their new line for awhile i just havent gotten around to it yet.

And ps i scored a cpk edc 3 in 4v today that im really looking forward to getting my hands on

That skrama is fuuuuuugly for sure! I saw a good YouTube review on it maybe just last week. It seems super functional and able to do most anything required with an outdoors blade.

I'm really interested to see and hear more about the ESEE jungles II with the 8 inch blade.

That skrama is fuuuuuugly for sure! I saw a good YouTube review on it maybe just last week. It seems super functional and able to do most anything required with an outdoors blade.

I'm really interested to see and hear more about the ESEE jungles II with the 8 inch blade.

Completely agree with each point above.
I just wish esee would use something other than 1095, then i would be super interested in the jungles II!

I just wish esee would use something other than 1095, then i would be super interested in the jungles II!
Haha yeah, I'm getting a little snobby with steels lately. To go with a full production knife you'd have to "slum it" with a regular carbon steel. Out of the few steels I've used, 3v is definitely my favorite, but 1095 still works just fine for what I need.

I was going to order a skrama but ended up getting the jakaaripuka 110 instead based off a recommendation. Seems like itd be right up my alley.

And as far as sharpening tge kukri it was somewhat of a process of trial and error for a while i just used sand paper by hand which worked ok but now i have a set of small stones that i freehand with that work very well. Thanks for the tip ill check out 42 blades.

An esee 6 was the blade that got me back into bushcrafting so esee has a special place in my heart. Ive wanted to check out their new line for awhile i just havent gotten around to it yet.

And ps i scored a cpk edc 3 in 4v today that im really looking forward to getting my hands on

The 110 carbon is the one I got, forgot there's a longer blade model also. That 4V EDC should be a slicing demon!

Definitely looking forward to the Junglas II. I don't know when I'd grab it instead of a bigger blade for a chopper or a smaller blade for finer work but I'm sure one will find its way here anyways. The PR4 looks nice too. The scalloped scales may end up being rough on the hands but a little sandpaper will soften them up easy enough.

I love 3V and other high end steels but if I were being purely practical my Beckers and ESEEs will do anything I need them to do. It would be great to see a premium line from either of those companies (BK16 that showed up with fitted micarta scales and 52100 steel, or a Junglas with 5160 come to mind) but that would drive up their price point and they would probably have a harder time selling them. Plus, it's nice being able to reprofile or repair any damage as relatively easy as it is with 1095.

I completely agree SN and Grogimus, 1095 is definitely a great steel. I purposely abused my schrade to test how strong the steel is and it did much better than i expected. Although the stock is quite ridiculously thick, I tried breaking the tip and all that happened was it rolled a little.

But saying that, for me it rusted so ridiculously easy even after trying to keep it cleaned and oiled. Maintaining it is just to difficult in my experiences. Even worse than 52100.
I prefer steels that have more corrosion resistance like 3V. But if i was stuck with only 1095, i wouldnt be at a huge loss.
I rather just pay more and have a steel that will perform beyond what I need, hold a better edge and not need ridiculous maintenance.

Only way to be :thumbsup: That's a good endorsement, you're going to love it I'll bet. I hope some more trc runs get to popping up!
Absolutely! The finger groove just locks my hand in perfectly. Also, if you are still considering the K1 small, the photo doesnt show the size right for the K1 to be honest. It is much smaller than I thought it was going to be and smaller than photos portray. Althought it is roughly the same size as the FK, for some reason it generally feels and looks smaller. Hard to explain what I mean but ye haha.
I think Lamnia have new stock of TRC btw :)

Are the scales epoxied on?

That knife really looks awesome. Not that the handle is bad, but wow, the blade is sexy.

Have you gotten to use it much yet?
That's actually a good question, I forgot to ask about that. But i am pretty sure they are not because Andrius didn't mention it to me and I suspect he would have if they were....but that is just a guess.

And thanks SN, i agree. I particularly like the fuller. You should see Andrius' take on jimping, it looks and feels incredible. I will try get a photo of it when i wake up tomorrow - if my crappy phone camera captures it properly.

And nope, unfortunately no time to use it yet because I just got it a couple of days ago and havent had a chance to carry it anywhere. I have only been able to test its initial sharpness and it is almost on par with the FK. It came with an incredible sheath too. Literally the best production sheath i have ever owned or seen.
Not sure if you have experienced with Eric - mashed cat's kydex, but it is on par with his, and I regard Eric's work easily the best of the best from my experiences.

That's actually a good question, I forgot to ask about that. But i am pretty sure they are not because Andrius didn't mention it to me and I suspect he would have if they were....but that is just a guess.

And thanks SN, i agree. I particularly like the fuller. You should see Andrius' take on jimping, it looks and feels incredible. I will try get a photo of it when i wake up tomorrow - if my crappy phone camera captures it properly.

And nope, unfortunately no time to use it yet because I just got it a couple of days ago and havent had a chance to carry it anywhere. I have only been able to test its initial sharpness and it is almost on par with the FK. It came with an incredible sheath too. Literally the best production sheath i have ever owned or seen.
Not sure if you have experienced with Eric - mashed cat's kydex, but it is on par with his, and I regard Eric's work easily the best of the best from my experiences.
You inspired me to snoop around the TRC website and saw some great stuff including a couple different styles of jimping. Still, I'd love to see a pic of your knife. Bonus points if you post of pic or several of the knife in your hand :D

Not being able to remove handle scales would bother me, but I'm sure there is good reasoning behind it.

Great to hear about the sheath. I don't have any Busses so no Mashed Cat for me. You're not the first person I've heard from who has had amazing experience with those sheaths :thumbsup:

Back