Swisstool Or LM300?

Razor

Gold Member
I am an old farmer and read where one old farmer said he couldn't farm with out the LM300. I also know I liked my swiss spirit till my son had to have it. I was think about getting another tool but was wonder which one of these to get? Sorry if this has been asked before.

I prefer my swisstool X. I like the fit and finish better I like the curved handles that Flex a little. I got the one with the saw teeth it's a good saw really useful. I've got a sheeth for it it fits on my belt and another sheath attached to my backpack.

Asked myself this same question and I already had the Leatherman Supertool , (old school) which out of all the Leathermans out there I like the ST best so I bought and tried the Vic Swisstool.

When it comes to F&F the Swisstool takes the prize. The highly polished finish gives it a chromed look like many quality wrenches and tools, the tools open and close with the snap of a quality pocket knife. The tools are perfectly nested together makin' for a very smooth package with no exposed sharp edges where there shouldn't be any. Finally the Ballistic Nylon sheath is well made and has a secure snap which is preferred over the Velcro strips normally used to secure the $100 tool.

Now I prefer the looks and the feel of the old school Leatherman Supertool over the ST200/300 but as far as performance and F&F they're bothered pretty much identical. The Leatherman was a little looser when it was closed, it made a little noise if you shook it in the sheath but as soon as you opened it fully everything fell into place poviding a sturdy and secure tool.

I like them both over any SOG or Gerber, they both have proven themselves over time to be dependable multi tools so what it comes down to are the little things so here's my choice and why. As far as the tools go they're comparable, one screwdriver doesn't seem to outshine another here so on the individual tool level it's a pretty even playing field.

I prefer the Leatherman Supertool & (200/300) and for these reasons.

First and foremost the ability to adjust the tension allowing me to deploy and open the Leatherman one handed similar to a butterfly/Balisong style knife. Can't do that with the Swisstool it's too stiff and has a backspring for the pliers handles to keep them closed.

Second the ST has a crimper behind the pliers pivot between the handle which works on a majority of different size wire connectors. The Swisstool doesn't so you have to carry a separate crimper with you.

Finally the jaw opening of the pliers is wider on the ST than the Swisstool and the needle nose are pointier which as a mechanic I found much more valuable than the more blunted tip of the Swisstool, I was able to get the tip into more places and smaller openings to grab things.

Here's some pics for comparison, my Leatherman Supretool200, Skeletool with bits and the Swisstool Basic, hope this helps.

3AdJkoa.jpg
QzRQT6s.jpg
VQNDrp5.jpg
6MBdyxa.jpg
qRWd7sr.jpg
2zVh6rt.jpg
x32tlJ7.jpg
Va4iwUo.jpg
QY2HIHz.jpg

ETA the correct models in the pic.

Last edited:
T. Erdelyi:
Not 100% certain but I think your Leatherman is the original Supertool, not the Supertool 200. IIRC, the Supertool 200 had curved levers on the side of the handles to unlock the implements.

Perhaps someone else can confirm or refute.

You may be right, I don't know why but the 200 always stuck in my head as the one you had to open a tool halfway to unlock the one in use and the 300 was the one you're describing. If someone else can confirm it or prove it either way that's be great.

In looking at the photos I just noticed (duh) that with all of the Supertools you have to open the handles to access a tool and then close the handles to use it whereas you can open and use the tools on the Swisstool without opening the handles. That's a nice feature.

Last edited:
Hello, Razor Razor . I'm not an old farmer, but I am a middle aged rancher. I carry a Swisstool. I don't own a Supertool 300, but I did test drive a friend's for a while when I was looking into replacing a multitool that I lost.

T. Erdelyi T. Erdelyi is right. The Swisstool and Supertool are very close in terms of quality and functionality. It's going to be the small, individual tradeoffs between the two that make one fit your particular needs slightly better than the other. For Ted it was the Leatherman, in my case the Swisstool won out.

From what I've seen, there's three basic models of the standard Swisstool with slight tool variants: The BS, which appears to be what Ted has (sorry, Ted, I didn't name it ;)) with a serrated sheepsfoot blade, file and no scissors, the CS which has no serrated blade but has scissors and a file (looking at them online, (I can't spot a difference between the CS and X models other than the name) and the RS which has scissors and a serrated, blunt tipped "rescue" type blade in place of the file. If I have something wrong here, someone please correct me.

The one I carry now is the Swisstool CS Plus (the plus models come with a 10 bit holder, a bit driver either ratcheting or solid, 6 bits, an attachable corkscrew and (if I recall correctly, I always add it if not included) the Vic glasses screwdriver that stores in the corkscrew all in the belt pouch. In the past I carried the RS until I lost it and needed to replace it. In that time I decided I had more use for a file than a serrated blade.

0708172336a-1-1434x1959.jpg

Reasons I chose the Swisstool over the Supertool:

The scissors. I use these a lot more than I ever imagined I would. Trimming gaskets, paper, plastic, fingernails, loose threads, baler twine, etc, etc ad nauseam. At this point I'd be absolutely lost without them with me at all times while working. That said, it's the least important advantage to me. I could easily toss a Vic Explorer in my pocket for the scissors. I sometimes carry one as it is for the magnifier, tweezers and straight pin if I feel they might be needed.

The lock. I liked the lock mechanism better on the Vic. I found it easier to disengage, but part of that was likely familiarity. It did take noticeably less pressure to disengage though. Not a deciding factor for me.

The scraper/chisel/wire stripper blade. The one closest to the knife blade in my pic. I use this a lot and I don't think Leatherman has an equivalent. The wire stripper notches work easier than just using the knife blade, but not enough that being without them would be a hardship. The scraper tip of that blade, on the other hand, I've found very useful. Sometimes for a quick cleanup of the seating surface for a bleeder screw on a tractor fuel system and sometimes just to get in a spot that's inconvenient to get into with a normal sized gasket scraper or putty knife and various tasks perhaps outside the design intent. I use it enough that it's needed sharpened almost as often as the knife blade.

In looking at the photos I just noticed (duh) that with the all of the Supertools you have to open the handles to access a tool and then close the handles to use it whereas you can open and use the tools on the Swisstool without opening the handles. That's a nice feature.

This. This is one of the biggest advantages of the Swisstool over the Leatherman in my mind. On my test drive of my friend's Leatherman, every time I had to open and close the #@%©$&! pliers, adding two extra steps to get at a screwdriver or bottle opener or knife blade and another two to close said folding tool, it pissed me off and I called it extremely unkind things after being used to just opening them on the Vic. Not only can you access the folding tools without opening/closing the pliers on the Vic, when you're using the pliers, your hand is gripping the more comfortable closed/smooth side of the handle instead of the open side with the tools. This only really matters of you're squeezing pretty hard like cutting tough wire or really needing a tight grip on something. Also, the cutting edges on blades and saws are at the outside edge of the tool, not set halfway in when unfolded. I liked this a lot better in use. To my mind, the tools that open without opening and closing the pliers are all advantage, no disadvantage. Others may have a different view.

What I liked better about the Leatherman:

I can't disagree with anything that's been said about the Leatherman pliers. Finer needlenose, open wider, replaceable cutters, addition of a crimper. They're just better in all ways but strength. You give up some strength with the finer tip. The friend I borrowed the ST 300 from breaks a tip off his pliers regularly enough that he keeps an extra pair to use if he needs to send his in for warranty work. They always fix or replace them for him though and he says turnaround is fairly quick. They don't even ask what incredibly stupid thing he did to break them.:D

Warranty. See above. I've never had to use the Vic warranty, but Leatherman is the stuff of internet legends when it comes to warranty

What's a tie:

The folding tools once they're out and ready for use. I think comparison of the knife blades deserves special attention. I like the overall shape of the Leatherman plain edge blade better with more belly and a useful point, but the Vic was thinner behind the edge and a better slicer because of it. The classic Vic blade outline comes from the SAK's particular design needs and, personally, I wish they hadn't repeated it on the Swisstool for legacy's sake. A shape more like the Leatherman with their thin, slicey geometry and they'd have had a clear win instead of a wash as far as I'm concerned.

So, there it is. My own personal thoughts on the two. Either is a great tool to have on your hip. Which one fits your personal needs better is something you need to decide for yourself.

Sorry for the wall o' text...;)

Hex, great review and addition to the thread, if between you and me we haven't answered all the questions I don't know who can. ;) :)

I want to think everybody for all the good advice. I ordered a LM200 for $49 and will probably get a swisstool when I can get some extra money. My son has a fencing company and I know he really likes his swisstool spirit. Can a man have to many multi-tools? Lol

I want to think everybody for all the good advice. I ordered a LM200 for $49 and will probably get a swisstool when I can get some extra money. My son has a fencing company and I know he really likes his swisstool spirit. Can a man have to many multi-tools? Lol

Nope. :D

I understand that this doesn't answer your exact question but.... Please don't sleep on the LM Rebar! It's a great fantastic and compact tool! I Recently made a thread about how I believe my LM Wave saved my ass. I own 20 plus multi tools LM is my most trusted brand! The Rebar gets the most belt time by far by any other MT.

Everybody should own a Swisstool (full-size or Spirit) at some point. It has to be felt and used to be believed. I switch between a Spirit and Rebar for EDC, while the Rebar (basically a smaller ST300) is a fine tool- well designed and highly functional- the Spirit blows it out of the water in overall ease of use and fit & finish. The outside opening tools and smoothness of engagement is a HUGE advantage IMO.

The ST200 is going to be a nice tool though.

I prefer my swisstool X. I like the fit and finish better I like the curved handles that Flex a little. I got the one with the saw teeth it's a good saw really useful. I've got a sheeth for it it fits on my belt and another sheath attached to my backpack.

I've had two of the VICTORINOX multi-tools for some time now. I agree with "Methuselah" that the Swiss Tool X is a premium mulititool and one I highly recommend to anyone. Every tool on those Victorinox multitools are real premium grade tools and they really work and work well. Some of you are going to laugh but I don't care but even the can opener on both of those Victorinox multitools are great and work extremely well.

The pliers and wirecutters are just as good as ones you would buy off of a Snap-On Truck vendor. It would really take a very impressive tool before I would even consider switching from both my Victorinox multitools.

I've had two of the VICTORINOX multi-tools for some time now. I agree with "Methuselah" that the Swiss Tool X is a premium mulititool and one I highly recommend to anyone. Every tool on those Victorinox multitools are real premium grade tools and they really work and work well. Some of you are going to laugh but I don't care but even the can opener on both of those Victorinox multitools are great and work extremely well.

The pliers and wirecutters are just as good as ones you would buy off of a Snap-On Truck vendor. It would really take a very impressive tool before I would even consider switching from both my Victorinox multitools.

Back