Switchblade legalization passes MI legislature

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2017/06/20/switchblades-legalize-vote/103054744/

House lawmakers voted for the legislation 106-1, with Rep. Rose Mary Robinson, D-Detroit, the sole dissenter. There was no debate.

Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, the bill sponsor and a former sheriff said the law is not strictly enforced and urged fellow lawmakers to update state law.

Some 43 other states allow some form of switchblade to be owned, according to Knife Rights, an Arizona-based knife advocacy group. Thirty states allow everyday carry and the group urged Michigan to repeal its prohibition and lobbied lawmakers in Indiana and Wisconsin to do the same.

Robinson, who voted no, said she thinks lawmakers should do a more comprehensive review of the state’s knife laws and argued that switchblades are just too dangerous.

“What they’ve done is cause more confusion,” she said, questioning why they voted to legalize switchblades but not other illegal knives.

“Why this? I think it’s inherently dangerous. You can be sliced and gutted, as we say.”

A spokesman for (Gov) Snyder said he would review the legislation when it gets to his office but has no position yet.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/04/michigan_senate_passes_legisla.html

The bill passed 36-1, with only Rep. Morris Hood III, D-Detroit, voting against it.

"As we see a lot of violence increasing in our country, in our world... I just don't think that there should be another tool out there for someone to be able to carry, to legally carry," Hood said.

The Michigan House passed Knife Rights’ Switchblade Ban Repeal bill, SB 245, with an non-substantive amendment by a vote of 106-1. The amendment simply provides for a 90-day delay in taking effect after enactment. The bill now goes back to the Senate, where it passed 36-1, for a perfunctory concurrence vote. After that, it goes to Governor Rick Snyder.

If you live, work or travel in Michigan, please contact Governor Snyder and politely ask him to “please sign SB 245.” That’s all you need to do, short and simple.

SEND AN EMAIL to Gov. Rick Snyder using Knife Rights Legislative Action Center.

CALL Gov. Rick Snyder using Knife Rights Legislative Action Center.

SB 245 simply repeals Section 226a (switchblade ban) of the Michigan penal code.

Knife Rights has repealed switchblade bans in Alaska, Colorado, Indiana, Kansas, Maine, Missouri, New Hampshire, Nevada, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin.

Support Knife Right's Legislative Efforts
Help Forge a Sharper Future™ for all Americans!

OVER $190,000 IN PRIZES!
WINNER'S CHOICE! YOU SELECT YOUR PRIZE!

See all the prizes at: www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel

Donations can be made online at www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel
or by calling (TOLL FREE) 1-866-889-6268 or 602-476-2702

9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Mountain Standard Time M-F, Please
This offer void where prohibited.
*Limitations apply. Complete eligibility and rules at: www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel

Knife Rights is Rewriting Knife Law in America™

Be the first to know. Get the latest Knife Rights updates:

And, sign up for our FREE News Slice™ Newsletter for more news you need to know.

Knife Rights is making a difference!
Invest a modest sum in a Sharper Future™ to protect your tools and rights.

JOIN KNIFE RIGHTS TODAY!

Robinson, who voted no, said she thinks lawmakers should do a more comprehensive review of the state’s knife laws and argued that switchblades are just too dangerous.

“Why this? I think it’s inherently dangerous. You can be sliced and gutted, as we say.”
"The remaining 106 representatives all collectively face-palmed. Sen. Jones was heard muttering something under his breath to the tune of 'every village has an idiot.' "

Doug, I'm glad to hear Knife Rights has a hand in this. I'll give them the money that would normally go to MOC's legal fund for July.

But, I'm of two minds on the issue here.
The bill is an important step forward, and I want it to pass.
But it would be more satisfying to see it shoved down the Governor's throat by veto override than to see him sign it into law.

After thinking it over for a half hour, I'll agree that it would be better for the next 18 months to have a Governor as a late coming friend of the 2A than as a continuing enemy, and I'll lobby him straight up for signing SB 245.

Doug, I'm glad to hear Knife Rights has a hand in this. I'll give them the money that would normally go to MOC's legal fund for July.

But, I'm of two minds on the issue here.
The bill is an important step forward, and I want it to pass.
But it would be more satisfying to see it shoved down the Governor's throat by veto override than to see him sign it into law.

After thinking it over for a half hour, I'll agree that it would be better for the next 18 months to have a Governor as a late coming friend of the 2A than as a continuing enemy, and I'll lobby him straight up for signing SB 245.

Thanks and smart decision. The odds of a veto override for a bill such as this are very slim indeed...infinitesimally slim. :)

Why's that? Because the number of voters who strongly desire it is small, GOP leadership (yes, I know, an oxymoron) wouldn't bother to have an override vote, or because you think we'd lose an override vote?

Why's that? Because the number of voters who strongly desire it is small, GOP leadership (yes, I know, an oxymoron) wouldn't bother to have an override vote, or because you think we'd lose an override vote?

Generally speaking, overrides are rare and the exception and when they do occur, it is usually only on issues with significant political significance. This is not that. Just the way it works.

I believe the issue becomes bringing the item back to the floor for another vote. There was a lot of BS on social media simply because this bill was brought up to be voted on over other things. IMO, the fact that it became law in the 1st place was the BS, this is simply correcting a mistake and based on the amount of people who voted in favor in both the house and senate I would say it wasn't debated much.

Thank you Mr. Ritter and the others in Knife Rights for your work on increasing our freedoms.

Knife Rights’ Michigan Switchblade Ban Repeal bill, SB 245, was signed yesterday by Governor Rick Snyder.

SB 245, sponsored by Senator Rick Jones, simply repeals Section 750.226a (switchblade ban) of the Michigan penal code oiginally enacted in 1952. SB245 is the culmination of years of effort by Knife Rights and our friends in Michigan including Senator Mike Green, the original sponsor of the bill.

SB245 becomes effective in 90 days on October 10, 2017. Switchblade (Automatic) knives remain illegal in Michigan until then.

Knife Rights Chairman Doug Ritter noted, “this is a great day for Michigan knife owners, but there is still plenty of work to be done to rid Michigan of its remaining archaic and vague knife restrictions. Knife Rights will keep working until Michigan’s law-abiding knife owners are free to carry any blade they want.”

Knife Rights has repealed switchblade bans in Alaska, Colorado, Indiana, Kansas, Maine, Missouri, New Hampshire, Nevada, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin and now in Michigan.

Help Knife Rights continue to forge A Sharper Future™ by making a donation in the Ultimate Steel™ and you could WIN YOUR CHOICE from OVER $190,000 in Knives, Guns and More!

Just 18 Days Remaining in the Ultimate Steel

Just a few of the $190,000 in Prizes!

ULTIMATE STEEL™ ENDS JULY 31ST - DONATE TODAY!

OVER $20,000 IN TAIL END BONUS PRIZES just for those who DONATE NOW!

OVER $190,000 TOTAL IN PRIZES!
WINNER'S CHOICE! YOU SELECT YOUR PRIZE!

See all the prizes at: www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel

Donations can be made online at www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel
or by calling (TOLL FREE) 1-866-889-6268 or 602-476-2702

9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Mountain Standard Time M-F, Please
This offer void where prohibited.

*Limitations apply. Complete eligibility and rules at: www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel

Be the first to know. Get the latest Knife Rights updates:

And, sign up for our FREE News Slice™ Newsletter for more news you need to know.

Knife Rights is making a difference!
Invest a modest sum in a Sharper Future™ to protect your tools and rights.

JOIN KNIFE RIGHTS TODAY!

Last edited:
Back