T.R.E. Three Rapid Exchange LionSTEEL

Waking this thread up :)
I've been wanting a new office carry knife to add to the rotation, something of a useful size but not too bulky and not too tacticool (no black tanto blades)! I like CF handles a lot but not a fan of flippers or Ti-RIL. I considered the Lionsteel T.R.E. when it first came out, but two strikes against it (flipper and RIL) did not inspire me. At least I could unflipper it and use the disc opening option. I also have a spyderco Lil Lionspy and really like that, so Lion Steel remained on my radar. I considered several options, but then happened to look (online) at the TRE with the CF scale and damasteel blade. Bad move - it was gorgeous and could not get it out of my mind. So now I have one! Flips GREAT! I did install the disc and it still carries fine and that lets me open more discretely in public. And it is even nicer looking in hand than online! Carries well and feels good in hand too! Sometimes when you spend this much on a knife you feel let down when you actually handle it, but not this time!

I just picked up a CF TRE and the detent is light enough that I can open the knife one handed with a moderately aggressive wrist flick. Is this supposed to be normal?

Hello!
I'm thinking of buying tre ti. I know its very beautiful, materials are excelent, i was wondering it is good user knife? it not going to only be in the pocket, edc task, and cutting wood will be priority for it. Any experience of using this knife?

Hi, I'm a lefty and just bought a t.r.e... I can't seem to remove the pocket clip to move it into the lefty position. I have removed the opposing screw on the opposite scale completely, but the clip just seems to be stuck in place. How do I move it? Thanks.

Hi, I'm a lefty and just bought a t.r.e... I can't seem to remove the pocket clip to move it into the lefty position. I have removed the opposing screw on the opposite scale completely, but the clip just seems to be stuck in place. How do I move it? Thanks.

Just sell it. Nice looking knife but as far as flipping and function forget it. First and last Lionsteel I will ever buy. Too many Knife makers out there doing it right the first time.

according to a post on like page 20, you have to push it out from the other side. they used a pen cartridge.

Hello Gianni, how do you push out the screw from the opposite side of the clip?

Success! You need to push out the clip. I used a Fisher pen cartridge. You can also install it on the opposite side. I added a drop of nanolube for easier insertion/extraction. Just like sex! :)

quoted to answer the question from the last page.

Just sell it. Nice looking knife but as far as flipping and function forget it. First and last Lionsteel I will ever buy. Too many Knife makers out there doing it right the first time.

Seems a little extreme but that's your choice. IMO the tre is one of the best small edc knives I've ever had. Mine flips very well, not as good as my zt808 but still very good. No wrist action needed and fires every time.

I also have a kur which is a great large knife and flips even better than the tre.

This is my favorite overall knife. Does not flip as well as my ZT450 or Reate, but I love the comfort and feel.

Opening one handed is not an issue, even if you do have to use a slight wrist flip on occasion. Excellent knife for an office environment as I feel it is just the right size to be useful, and the look isn't too "scary".

This is my favorite overall knife. Does not flip as well as my ZT450 or Reate, but I love the comfort and feel.

Opening one handed is not an issue, even if you do have to use a slight wrist flip on occasion. Excellent knife for an office environment as I feel it is just the right size to be useful, and the look isn't too "scary".

Well said.

This is still very high on my want to get list. Nice and pocket friendly as well as office compatible. Not to mention you can make it legal to carry.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

Oddly mine is the best flipper I've ever owned, contra apparently everyone else's experience with it. Shoots out like a rocket, has been exceptionally reliable. The thumb stud is unusable for a right-handed person but works great for lefties. Although this problem would be reversed if the lock was reversed for a lefty, because the reason the thumb stud is unusable is because it's extremely difficult to position your hand in a way so that you can use the thumb stud to open but not put any pressure on the lockbar. Any hand pressure on the lockbar makes the thumb stud nearly unusable.

Oddly mine is the best flipper I've ever owned, contra apparently everyone else's experience with it. Shoots out like a rocket, has been exceptionally reliable. The thumb stud is unusable for a right-handed person but works great for lefties. Although this problem would be reversed if the lock was reversed for a lefty, because the reason the thumb stud is unusable is because it's extremely difficult to position your hand in a way so that you can use the thumb stud to open but not put any pressure on the lockbar. Any hand pressure on the lockbar makes the thumb stud nearly unusable.

I would love to see a video of the action. Shoots like a rocket? really?

The flipper versions I've owned need a slight wrist flick to open, I think the thumb stud on it should be slightly larger (would help). The Tre I own that has the removable thumb disc and flipper tab opens very easily with push button style opening (no need to wrist flick at all)

Will there be any updated versions of the TRE?

For example:

-- Larger thumb disc?

-- A G-10 version with both flipper and thumb disc like the Ti and CF versions?

-- A blade without the swedge?

Received my Ti TRE today, it's going back for an exchange. The screw in the flipper had been stripped and I was unable to get it out using any tricks I know. Knife felt nice in hand, just annoyed that something that bad off made it out.

I receive my Ti TRE a few days before and love it. It is almost perfect with very very little imperfections which most knives have like slightly off grinding which could easily be fixed and wouldn't affect performance. I must admit that the flipping action leaves a lot to be desired. It is nothing close to other super smooth flippers like Kizer or ZT, but it gets the job done. Either press it forward first to give a larger flipping force or light switch it could get the blade fires out. Only when you insist opening it in a press button way without powering up would require wrist action. All in all it is not a flipper, more exact, it is not only a flipper. If the detent is too strong, it could be a pain in thumb disc or two hand mode. Comparing to my Kizer Gemini and ZT0450 which are also superb small flippers, I think the size of the TRE fits my XXS hand better and better blade shape.

Have had six total TRE knives so far, these are my current 3:

f49uC7X.jpg

Great knives, I carry the M390/G10 knife often.

Back