Talwar vs AK47

Talwar vs AK47

• Total voters
Im thinking to buy a new pocket knife for EDC and self defence, at the last point, cant choose between talwar 4" and AK47, im feeling more close to talwar but cant make the last choice, the steel will be CTS-XHP

The Talwar has been discontinued.

So you might want to consider picking one up while they are still available.

Some great deals can be found at various dealers if you look around.

Bad news for me, i think you're right must get one while can, so im going with talwar,

Talwar for sure and get both the 4" and the 5.5" while you still can ! Cause "when they're gone , they're gone " .

Careful that you don't mistakenly get an old AUS8 version , if that's not to your taste . The carpenter steel is better but nothing too wrong with the older version really .

Echo the Talwar. They can still be found without too much trouble.

Talwar FTW!

CAM05245_zpsswthmjk6.jpg

If you want a real user that you can sharpen easily and has a little stronger edge , get the plain edge version Talwar .

The fully serrated are fantastic slicers and unsurpassed for self defense or emergency cutting belt or rope , but very hard to sharpen back to factory standard new .

The SE is kinda fragile . Pretty easy to ding or roll the edge in hard use , and problematic to repair without removing the serration . My experience is limited to the old AUS8 steel .

Last edited:
I can only recommend Cold Steel's serrated edge pattern for those that really like serrated edges.

It is quite fragile and one has to be very careful with them to avoid breakage.

AK47 offcourse...much better self defense blade. grip is better and you have the glassbreaker at the back that can do serious damage.

Depends on hand size. I wear XXL gloves and the Talwar handle is downright uncomfortable. I wanted to like the knife so badly I've bought two, but gotten rid of both because it's simply unpleasant for me to use it for any length of time. The AK, however, I find pretty comfortable even in extended use.

Depends on hand size. I wear XXL gloves and the Talwar handle is downright uncomfortable. I wanted to like the knife so badly I've bought two, but gotten rid of both because it's simply unpleasant for me to use it for any length of time. The AK, however, I find pretty comfortable even in extended use.
You got to mean the 4" Talwar ? Cause the XL 5.5" has all kinds of handle real estate !

You got to mean the 4" Talwar ? Cause the XL 5.5" has all kinds of handle real estate !

Whoops! Should have specified. ;) Yeah, for a full sized folder, the 4" Talwar has a surprisingly cramped handle. Other than that it seems great.

Whoops! Should have specified. ;) Yeah, for a full sized folder, the 4" Talwar has a surprisingly cramped handle. Other than that it seems great.
My hands are medium 7.5 and the 4" fits me like it was special made . But I can understand how a much bigger "platter paw" wouldn't fit at all .

IMO Talwar wins on blade size, shape and grip while the AK47 has the best
finish (non-shiny), tougher construction and the added versatility of the glass breaker

CAM05054_zpsuxhleek5.jpg

CAM03021_zpsd92fdlpj.jpg

can't go wrong with any of them TBH

If you want a real user that you can sharpen easily and has a little stronger edge , get the plain edge version Talwar .

The fully serrated are fantastic slicers and unsurpassed for self defense or emergency cutting belt or rope , but very hard to sharpen back to factory standard new .

The SE is kinda fragile . Pretty easy to ding or roll the edge in hard use , and problematic to repair without removing the serration . My experience is limited to the old AUS8 steel .
A serrated talwar could be great actually,
IMO Talwar wins on blade size, shape and grip while the AK47 has the best
finish (non-shiny), tougher construction and the added versatility of the glass breaker

CAM05054_zpsuxhleek5.jpg

CAM03021_zpsd92fdlpj.jpg

can't go wrong with any of them TBH
can you put side to side ak47 and talwar and take a picture, ı want to take a close look :)

Last edited:
AK47 offcourse...much better self defense blade. grip is better and you have the glassbreaker at the back that can do serious damage.
I think curved handle of talwar can do the missions that Ak47 handle does

Back