Taylor made Old Timer OT 8 in Iron Wood.

This Taylor made OT 8 been a solid knife and holding its own as good as my 1960's through 1980's USA MADE OT 8's. I challenge folks to give them a honest test.

While it cuts just fine it never does feels as sharp as a USA 8OT and I got 5 1968- 1985 USA made 8OT' S. But it does feels as sharp as my 1980's UH small 340 sized stock man which is SS .

How about some pictures? I'd like to see how it looks after 7 months. Have you done much sharpening to it?

13043705_10207760833372352_3962170297410356846_n.jpg

All I have done is strop it on my crox sticks about once a week 3 passes per a side.

Looks like it is serving you well. Any issues with blade play? I'd like to see this knife a year from now. Keep going!

Thanks for the review deltaboy. I have a pro hunter in ironwood and love it.

Mistwalker, what models did you design?

I'm friends with the manager of a local Big 5 Sporting Goods store here in NorCal, and he showed me a bunch of these from their stock when they first came into the country. (2008 or 2009? I can't remember.)

Most had issues: uneven grinds, gaps between scales & bolsters, one had a scale shield glued in upside down, several had minor bladeplay, one had no factory edges... there were other issues too. But, for the price point, they were still selling pretty steadily.

Fast forward to last summer, when I looked at some of Schrade's patterns again, and all had great fit & finish, nice even blade grinds, were sharp, and had solid, tight joints. Very close in build quality to the former domestically produced knives. Material quality I can't comment on.

I have a couple from group buys and trades, but I haven't put them into the rotation yet. Maybe I should start.

~Chris

Back