Techno screws

I got a used one and am trying to take apart to clean and replace spacer with standoffs. The 2 larger screws came loose easily; however, the middle one will not budge. Ideas? If it strips, can I get replacements from Spyderco? Thanks!

If you have a soldering iron you can heat just the screw. This has always worked fine for me. Remember to use high quality torx bits and don't use too much force. Spyderco might have screws, but since it isn't made in Golden they might not have any.

I was able to get a clip screw for my Techno which fit the larger screws, but was told they only have replacement clip screws. So you may be screwed (haha) if you strip the small one.

Finally heard back from Spyderco and they confirmed what kjd2121 said about scales screws not being available for the Techno. Does anyone have a clue as to the specs on a replacement screw if it becomes necessary?

Last edited:
I stripped my pivot screw and found out the same thing: Spyderco doesn't stock replacement parts for the non-Golden knives. I bought replacement screws on "the bay". They're Ti, and the guy usually sells them anodized in various colors, but he sold me untreated screws on request. He's in Australia so I'm still waiting for them to get here, but I can't wait. Now all I need to do is find a Ti wire clip and I'll be set.

Aside: I'm guessing Spyderco likely just does whole-knife replacement when it comes to warranty issues on the non-Golden knives, since they don't stock parts. Maybe then they RMA back to the OEM themselves, probably in batches. Anyone able to confirm my theory?

I stripped my pivot screw and found out the same thing: Spyderco doesn't stock replacement parts for the non-Golden knives. I bought replacement screws on "the bay". They're Ti, and the guy usually sells them anodized in various colors, but he sold me untreated screws on request. He's in Australia so I'm still waiting for them to get here, but I can't wait. Now all I need to do is find a Ti wire clip and I'll be set.

Aside: I'm guessing Spyderco likely just does whole-knife replacement when it comes to warranty issues on the non-Golden knives, since they don't stock parts. Maybe then they RMA back to the OEM themselves, probably in batches. Anyone able to confirm my theory?

The pivot screw is the same size as the clip screw. Spyderco sent me one when I asked :) OP is talking about the smaller screw in the center of the scales.

The pivot screw is the same size as the clip screw. Spyderco sent me one when I asked :) OP is talking about the smaller screw in the center of the scales.

Yeah I know which screw he meant. =P
I was just mentioning why I was buying new screws. The set that I bought is the complete set of screws, plus a stop pin, and including the screw he needs. I believe the listing is for the 7pc set in blue. Go to the bay and search for "techno screw set" and you should be able to see what I mean.

Heated the stubborn one with a solder gun - thanks for the tip! Here's the work in progress:

23891303439_efd65e2b3a_c.jpg

Heated the stubborn one with a solder gun - thanks for the tip! Here's the work in progress:

23891303439_efd65e2b3a_c.jpg

So you put Bronze standoffs in? Nice.

I have the Blue standoffs. I see the Ebay ad that DPLAFOLL talks about above. I would love to have a set of Blue screws, but $35 is not cheap. Hmmmmm.

Last edited:
Looks good. Soldering iron is usually a sure thing on screws with loctite:thumbup:

I just got a used techno and love it! But of the two screws in the rear of the knife that can hold the pocket clip on, the longer one which goes through the clip......the head is a bit stripped. I can still use a T7 but its jacked up looking. So it seems that I can call spyderco warranty department up and obtain this screw?

Called up the factory outlet and the lady was really nice and i have a new set of rear screws that will be here this week free of charge!

How do you like the Ti screws from the Bay? I bought them too because the torx are starting to strip on my Techno.

Nope, they're shinin' you on, I just recently got a replacement scale screw for my Bowie a week after I bought it cuz it must be been loose from factory. You've got to tell them that the screw just fell out because they won't give you screws just because you want to take your knife apart or whatever

Back