TechStudio K01 Profile Sharpening System

Is TSProf website down? I get "Access Forbidden" instead of the webpage. Ditto for TSProf Configurator.

edited : 2:27 am EDT. Site is back up and everything looks normal.

Last edited:
I guess the end of April shipment would've been here by now. Guess I'll wait and see if it shows up next month. A ton of money spent on product and shipping to still not see anything yet

I just got confirmation email that my sharpener has been shipped. Looking forward to its arrival.
Jim

@Jim How long did you have to wait, if you don't mind? I assume mine will take 2 to 2 1/2 months.

Took a couple months. (Still haven't received sharpener). Just received email confirmation that it has been shipped. Never had issue with return emails/communication. Looking forward to it arriving.

Took a couple months. (Still haven't received sharpener). Just received email confirmation that it has been shipped. Never had issue with return emails/communication. Looking forward to it arriving.

A fellow Albertan! You should get it in about 6-8 days, that is how long mine took. Be prepared to pay about $60-70 at the post office as they always seem to charge the import fees on the really expedited parcels.

You obviously have this sharpener? Is it what you expected? Where in Alberta are you from esurm?

You obviously have this sharpener? Is it what you expected? Where in Alberta are you from esurm?

Yup, I got mine last year. I ordered shortly after the Wranglestar video came out so I was able to get it early thankfully. It is mostly what I expected, mine had a few issues out of the box I had to fix. I live in a small little redneck mountain town :p

TSProf is communicating better. Paul just informed me that the "lifting body" or geared rack mechanism for the K03 is out of stock for 2 to 3 months. Likewise for the "removable table" or knife support plate. I chose to take the K02 version without the knife support plate.

Hello Guys,

Yes, unfortunately, we are out of stock with lifitng unit, removable table and the arkansas stones.
But this is temporarily, we will trying our best to make sure that soon you will be able to order K03 again!

Thank you all for the interest and have a great day everyone.

New fixing unit.
Replaced the old welded construction of steel on the new one-piece fasteners from alloy D16T, manufactured on precision CNC machines.
- Increased the area of contact between the base surfaces.
- Due to the geometry of the unit is now more accurate positioning of the entire clamp on the frame and increased resistance to stress.
- Removed unnecessary excesses of springs for clamping thicker blades, due to the increase in the thickness and shape of unit. Distance between springs increased from 10 mm to 14 mm.
- Added possibility of separate adjustment of the springs, which greatly facilitates the centering of the entire clamp.

Can anybody explain the differences between the K1,2, and 3. I thought with the K1 you had to take the blade out of the clamp...apparently not so...you turn the clamp manually....the K2 has a detent for that. Is that right? What are the other differences?

Is the K2/3 really worth paying the extra money for compared to the K1?

Apparently there is some plate for another $100 which is added to turn a K2 into a 3. What exactly does it do?

I suspect for a professional if the setup is faster than the Wicked Edge that makes up for only doing one side at a time.

What do those who have tried both systems think?

What is the deal with something about weak springs...requiring ordering a stronger spring?

As for shipping, of course if he had a US distributor shipping would be cheaper...however, I suspect the entire unit is very heavy.

To my understanding, the K03's main distinction is the "lifting body". This is a geared racking mechanism to replace the threaded adjustment
on the angle raising rod.

The K01 has a manual system for rotating the clamp. It has a knob to release the rotating mechanism. On the other hand, the K02/K03 uses a spring loaded detent system with adjustable tension that lets you just rotate the clamp without needing to loosen a knob.

The "removable table" or knife support plate fits the K02 and K03 and functions like the platform on the Edge Pro so you can sharpen without clamping.

The weak springs that have been mentioned provide the tension for the clamps. In some of the videos you can see the clamps flex downward when high force is applied to the stone. You can order stronger springs to reduce/eliminate the flexing.

As to whether the K01, K02 or K03 fits your price/features needs, I'll let you be the judge. Personally, I ordered the K03 with removable table, but,
since the lifting body and removable table are currently out of stock, I downgraded to the K02 for faster delivery.

I saw a video on YouTube that shows a new clamp design?
hqdefault.jpg

Can anybody explain the differences between the K1,2, and 3. I thought with the K1 you had to take the blade out of the clamp...apparently not so...you turn the clamp manually....the K2 has a detent for that. Is that right? What are the other differences?

Is the K2/3 really worth paying the extra money for compared to the K1?

Apparently there is some plate for another $100 which is added to turn a K2 into a 3. What exactly does it do?

I suspect for a professional if the setup is faster than the Wicked Edge that makes up for only doing one side at a time.

What do those who have tried both systems think?

What is the deal with something about weak springs...requiring ordering a stronger spring?

As for shipping, of course if he had a US distributor shipping would be cheaper...however, I suspect the entire unit is very heavy.

The K01 is a different system from the K02 and K03.

Instead of the spring tension rotating bar in the 2 and 3, the K01 has the clamp and bar in one and you need to loosen a screw, pull out the clamp, rotate it, put it back in, tighten the screw, then continue sharpening. This guy has several videos on the K01 system.

The 02 and 03 system are very similar. They both have the spring tensioned bar that you just push to turn around. The difference is on the rear of the unit where the post is for the height adjustment. On the K02 you loosen a screw and lift or lower the entire arm/angle gauge unit until you get it about where you want then use a finer threaded rod to tune it in. On the K03 it has a rack and pinion system where you turn a knob and it lifts and lowers the arm then you fine adjust using the threaded nut.

It is not a plate for the upgrade, it is just the rear portion which adds the rack and pinion system which is more expensive. I think he calls it the lifter arm?

The system itself is actually surprisingly light. If you order the base plate it then becomes very heavy.

The K01 is a different system from the K02 and K03.

Instead of the spring tension rotating bar in the 2 and 3, the K01 has the clamp and bar in one and you need to loosen a screw, pull out the clamp, rotate it, put it back in, tighten the screw, then continue sharpening. This guy has several videos on the K01 system.

The 02 and 03 system are very similar. They both have the spring tensioned bar that you just push to turn around. The difference is on the rear of the unit where the post is for the height adjustment. On the K02 you loosen a screw and lift or lower the entire arm/angle gauge unit until you get it about where you want then use a finer threaded rod to tune it in. On the K03 it has a rack and pinion system where you turn a knob and it lifts and lowers the arm then you fine adjust using the threaded nut.

It is not a plate for the upgrade, it is just the rear portion which adds the rack and pinion system which is more expensive. I think he calls it the lifter arm?

The system itself is actually surprisingly light. If you order the base plate it then becomes very heavy.

1) From what I can see, it does not look like flipping the blade with the K1 system is that hard. So, is it really worth the extra money for the K2?
2) With respect to the upgrade....is that worth it?
3) Is it only an upgrade for the K2 or can it be put on the K1?
4) Do you have one?
5) If so, which one and do you think it is worth the money?

Back