Tell me about my "ORDEP NEPAL" khukuri

Hi guys -- I acquired this at a gun show last January... just getting around to posting about it. My first khukuri was given to me by a Nepali friend. Since then I have grown to greatly enjoy Nepali khukuris, but never obtained any more due to shipping costs. (That was well before I discovered BladeForums and Himalyan Imports.)

I think I overpaid for this khukuri, but at the spur-of-the-moment couldn't research the marking "ORDEP NEPAL." However, seeing that it was likely a Nepali-made knife with legitimate Nepali heritage, I just couldn't resist. The vendor was asking $125 for it. I bought a few other things from him and he gave it to me for $100.

It looks like it's never been used. Blade has a light patina; no chips in the edge. The handle is tight; made of horn. No chips, but appears to show early signs of delaminating between the natural layers or grain.

The sheath is in fair condition. The leather is very dry and doesn't at all grip the khukuri, chakmak, or karda. (Chakmak and karda show signs of having been dropped on the floor many times, and have some very deep rust.)

So... how'd I do? Is there anything I can do to preserve the handle?

Any other info would be welcome. I know there are resources online that describe these knives (and I've read many of them), but if there are any nuances you suspect I missed, please let me know. :)

EDIT: To mods: I mistakenly posted this in the IH Cantina... I came here to look up an accepted spelling for "khukuri" and ended up posting here as well. If inappropriate, I would be most appreciative of your time to move it to the proper forum! Thank you~

IMG_4328.jpg

IMG_4326.JPG

Hey mate, you posted this in the archived forums! You'll get more responses in the main Cantina forum, might want to repost this there or ask a mod to move it for you. :)

it looks like a sevice number 1 or 2 bas,or british army service to me,if I did my studyin right. good looking kukri, kukri a gunshows are priced so out of sight the past 2 years,still a nice kukri,your price was not out of line in this part of Arkansas,good deal, pawn shops or gunshows would be askin 150.00. ive seen em. I cant tell from the pics on blade length might be one of the shorter 9" blade police issue ones from khhi/xgurka house etc,cant remember what their called. just my thoughts..

From the dedicated vault of Spiraltwista:

The MKV

Some time during the late 1950s to early 1960s the ”new” mk.5 kukri was introduced. {Which of course, also has 12 digit NATO service number}

Often called the BAS {British Army Standard} or BSI {British service issue.} By kukri aficionados These are manufacturer’s terms & seem to bear no relation to any British military designation.

The issue model is generally made in Nepal rather than India.

This shorter much lighter kukri was introduced a few years after every Gurkha had been issued with the British SLR copy of the Belgian FAL automatic rifle, or the Sterling submachine gun. One assumes that by which point the powers that be thought a smaller lighter camping style of kukri was acceptable .Rather than the earlier longer more sidearm/Utility style kukris. But in some ways that makes sense as it It does occur very occasionly but its extreemly rare for Gurkhas to use kukris as weapons anymore. {Air support & fully automatic guns are the preferance.}

This model is made by several Nepali firms nearly all of which claim to supply The British Army & most have done on occasion..

In a way it seems irrelevant which of them do as the current versions of it manufactured most seem to be low quality. No different than the average modern tourist kukri.

The lowest bidder wins the army contract each year so for many years Lalit of khukri house has been one of the main supplies as the size of his business presumably allows him to undercut the competition. Of course he was also a Gurkha for many years & maintains his contacts within, the British army, the Gukhas & at the officer training school Sandhurst.

Hundreds of thousands have been made, but the only Genuine military pieces are those that were actually purchased by the military forces. The others are just commercial copys even if made by the same company's.

The higher quality versions of this kukri I have seen, were made by kami employed by the British army themselves working at Dharan army base. They are normally marked "Ordep Nepal" with a date stamp. {Generally from the mid 1980s.} With superior fit & finish, they have a superior feel to the ones marketed today that I have handled.

They were made in 2 grades, the higher quality finish ceremonial parade, with plastic scabbard, & the rougher utility versions.

Interestingly I've found most other Manufactures ceremonial models are lower quality chrome plaited blade items, But they should still be a useable kukri as its still worn for Guard duty at Buckingham palace & Windsor castle. Etc. {Should doesn't necessarily mean is, of course.]

There have been many minor variations over the years due to the number of manufacturers & time span invloved.

Blade Lengths of of 11 inchs are the norm on the 60s, 70s & 80s pieces, weights are usually in region off 14oz. to 17oz.

In the 1990s a slightly shorter variation of the mark 5 came to be commonly issued with a 10 1/4 inch blade often weighing between 17 to 19oz.

2 Dharan army base made mk.5 kukri, Both weigh between 16oz & 17oz

Issue standard. left.
Ceremonial. right, {with plastic sheath & belt.]

fee855a7.jpg

0052-1.jpg

that was some good reading mr. JayGoliath, that is what I thought his was. tough little blades..

Back