Testing the Firebox Stove and Fat Rope with a broken hand!

Fletcher Knives

STEEL BREATHING BLADE MAESTRO
I got this Firebox and Fat Rope from fiddlebackoutpost.com. Decided to see if I could use it with a broken hand. By the way, I'm right-handed, so everything is a little awkward. Still, this shows me that, even with an injured hand, you could use this stuff. That's pretty cool. Just to make it interesting, I chose the "firesteel" method to start the Fat Rope. If you look at the kit, you can tell that this is actually the virgin run! No practice run! Pretty good for a first try.

[video=youtube;6fEqYDUg9KA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fEqYDUg9KA[/video]

I thought this was a great practical video. Any time you are on an extended hike or backpacking trip to a remote area, there is always the risk of injury to be prepared for. Your one-handed fire prep demonstration shows that with knowledge, proper technique and a positive mindset, you can still accomplish important tasks like starting a fire.

Thanks for posting this Dylan. Please keep us posted on your right hand prognosis. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for quick and complete healing.

Phil

I thought this was a great practical video. Any time you are on an extended hike or backpacking trip to a remote area, there is always the risk of injury to be prepared for. Your one-handed fire prep demonstration shows that with knowledge, proper technique and a positive mindset, you can still accomplish important tasks like starting a fire.

Thanks for posting this Dylan. Please keep us posted on your right hand prognosis. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for quick and complete healing.

Phil

Thanks Phil! I will. Today I made a kydex version of my splint that I can wear with a wrist wrap I found. The idea is that it can be cleaned and won't get built up with dust and steel like the one the hospital gave me.

It's funny how simple the answer can be to a task, that under stressful conditions, might seem impossible at first glance. The fire steel idea literally popped into my head right then. I had no plan going into this. However, if someone is in panic mode, they might not come up with that solution for a long time. It pays to calm yourself down. Ideas come so much faster if we can just be calm in the situation. Plus, it's always good to practice stuff like this with an actual injury, when the opportunity rears it's ugly head. That way, if that injury, or just something similar happens, at least you've already done if once. You don't have to problem solve everything for the first time. There's little things you wouldn't account for without a real injury, like tenderness around it, the mental state or frustration mixed with a little pain, etc

Back