Texas House Bill 1935 Tracking Thread

Much kudos to you knifelobbyist for being such an effective... knife lobbyist, hehe. So essentially, these items are only going to be unlawful to carry in all the places where you are not allowed to carry a firearm ?

Right on sir ! I'm not going to lie, I had my doubts, not of you of course, but because of the circumstances and what not. I truly am grateful that you helped repeal an outdated and archaic ban in my native Lone Star State. So just to be clear, the "illegal knife" portion of chapter 46 is no longer applicable, but they're still going to uphold the location restrictions in chapter 46.03 of the statutes ? I want to do a celebration vlog about this and just want to make sure I'm getting my facts straight. My apologies for constantly asking for clarification about these things, I tried looking for updated info online but could not find any updated versions of the statutes.

Well we still have a 3rd reading vote in the House, the full process in the Senate, and need the governor to sign it, so I wouldn't spike the football just yet. Doug is doing a detailed alert tomorrow morning so look for that for a fuller explanation. I have had too many Margaritas, and am too tired to get into details tonight.

Well we still have a 3rd reading vote in the House, the full process in the Senate, and need the governor to sign it, so I wouldn't spike the football just yet. Doug is doing a detailed alert tomorrow morning so look for that for a fuller explanation. I have had too many Margaritas, and am too tired to get into details tonight.

Knife Rights' bipartisan Texas Knife Law Reform Bill, HB 1935,to repeal all "illegal knives" in Texas statute, passed a critical milestone in the Texas House of Representatives in an unrecorded "Second Reading" vote yesterday. With the tragic stabbing at the University of Texas, right in the state capital of Austin, still fresh in everyone's minds, the timing could not have been worse.

Knife Rights Director of Legislative Affairs, Todd Rathner, has been in Austin for a week working to salvage the bill and ensure that any bill that emerged would still be an advance for Texas knife owners.

In the end, the bill was amended from its original form that eliminated entirely all the "illegal knives" in state statute. HB 1935, as amended, now eliminates daggers, dirks, stilettos, poniards, swords, spears and most notably, Bowie knives, completely from the statute, effectively allowing them to be carried anywhere in the state.

However, in order to get the bill moved, the amendment stipulates that knives with blades over 5 1/2 inches are now defined as "location restricted" knives. These knives may be carried all over the state except in a narrow list of places such as schools, colleges, correctional facilities, houses of worship, and bars that derive more than 51% of their income from alcohol sales. This is an unfortunate amendment, but the alternative would have been to watch the bill die and throw years of work in Texas down the drain. Plus, then we'd have to wait another two years for the next session of the Texas legislature, and who knows what might happen between now and then?

This bill's passage would still be a huge win for knife owners in Texas and given the tragic circumstances, Todd's done an incredible job not just saving the legislation, but ending up with 95% of what we wanted. If we get this bill passed, we will be back in two years and again try to finish the job in Texas. The floor vote in the House should take place in the next few days and Todd can finally go home. We like to express our appreciation to our House sponsors, Primary Author, Rep. Frullo, Joint Authors, Reps. Dutton, Kuempel, Moody and Springer and Coauthors, Reps. Canales and Lambert for standing firm in challenging circumstances.

This is a perfect example of why your support is so important. Otherwise, Todd could not have spent the last week in Austin and this bill would have died. It's that simple. Your support is critical!

Help Knife Rights continue to forge A Sharper Future™ by making a donation in the Ultimate Steel™ and you could WIN YOUR CHOICE from OVER $200,000 in Knives, Guns and More!

Support Knife Right's Legislative Efforts
Help Forge a Sharper Future™ for all Americans!

OVER $200,000 IN PRIZES!
WINNER'S CHOICE! YOU SELECT YOUR PRIZE!

See all the prizes at: www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel

Donations can be made online at www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel
or by calling (TOLL FREE) 1-866-889-6268 or 602-476-2702

9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Mountain Standard Time M-F, Please
This offer void where prohibited.
*Limitations apply. Complete eligibility and rules at: www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel

Knife Rights is Rewriting Knife Law in America™

Be the first to know. Get the latest Knife Rights updates:

And, sign up for our FREE News Slice™ Newsletter for more news you need to know.

Knife Rights is making a difference!
Invest a modest sum in a Sharper Future™ to protect your tools and rights.

JOIN KNIFE RIGHTS TODAY!

Passed the House last night 131-1!!

We will work on some tweaks in the Senate.

Last edited:
Now it goes over to the Senate, where it will be assigned to a committee there.

That committee will either pass it on to the Senate for a vote or sit on it and kill it.

"Maybe" the committee will attach a new amendment to it, at which point it would need to go back to the House for another reading and vote, in essence killing it as there is insufficient time (19 days) for that to happen, what with all the other bills that would be in front of it in the voting queue.

Assuming the Senate committee passes it out to the Senate, most likely it will pass a vote there, unless someone gets on a high horse. Or the Committee chairman pulls another "south end of a north bound mule" shenanigan move and pulls it back from the Senate calendar like he did last session.

It's a waiting game now.

edit - looks like Critter posted the short answer while I was typing. :D

Oh, Yes, I should have been clear about who's waiting. Todd has definitely has had to work his butt off the last week to salvage all the work he had previously put in here in Texas.

I'm assuming you've had him bouncing to GA and IL the last few weeks as well when he's not been in Texas.

Hope this passes. Thank you Todd for busting your ass for my rights. And thank you Critter for the updates.

Knife Rights’ bipartisan Texas Knife Law Reform Bill, HB 1935,to repeal “illegal knives” in Texas statute, was passed yesterday by the House 131-1.

Although somewhat anticlimactic after the difficult fight to save the bill and to get it amended and through Second Reading on Monday, with the tragic stabbing at the University of Texas still fresh in everyone’s minds, it was never a foregone conclusion. The bill now moves to the Senate where we still have our work cut out for us to get this passed.

As we noted yesterday, Knife Rights Director of Legislative Affairs, Todd Rathner, has been in Austin for a week working to salvage the bill and ensure that any bill that emerged would still be an advance for Texas knife owners. He now gets to go home. He’ll be back for the Senate push.
HB 1935, as amended, now eliminates daggers, dirks, stilettos, poniards, swords, spears and most notably, Bowie knives, completely from Texas statute, effectively allowing them to be carried anywhere in the state.

However, in order to get the bill moved, the amendment stipulates that knives with blades over 5 1/2 inches are now defined as “location restricted” knives. These knives may be carried all over the state except in a narrow list of places such as schools, colleges, correctional facilities, houses of worship, and bars that derive more than 51% of their income from alcohol sales. This is an unfortunate amendment, but the alternative would have been to watch the bill die and throw years of work in Texas down the drain.

This bill’s passage would still be a huge win for knife owners in Texas and given the tragic circumstances, Todd’s done an incredible job not just saving the legislation, but ending up with 95% of what we wanted. If we get this bill passed, we will be back in two years and again try to finish the job in Texas. We’s like to again express our appreciation to our House sponsors, Primary Author, Rep. Frullo, Joint Authors, Reps. Dutton, Kuempel, Moody and Springer and Coauthors, Reps. Canales and Lambert for standing firm in challenging circumstances.

This is a perfect example of why your support is so important. Otherwise, Todd could not have spent the last week in Austin and this bill would have died. It’s that simple. Your support is critical!

Help Knife Rights continue to forge A Sharper Future™ by making a donation in the Ultimate Steel™ and you could WIN YOUR CHOICE from OVER $200,000 in Knives, Guns and More!

I'm assuming you've had him bouncing to GA and IL the last few weeks as well when he's not been in Texas.

I was in Illinios since Todd was in Texas. They had to make do with the second string, but it worked.

I see whitmire's agenda for the May 16th committee meeting does NOT include hb1935. Am I missing something? Has it been 'fast tracked' (I forget the term for that), or has he sidelined it? Anybody know?

I see whitmire's agenda for the May 16th committee meeting does NOT include hb1935. Am I missing something? Has it been 'fast tracked' (I forget the term for that), or has he sidelined it? Anybody know?

No it hasn't been scheduled for a hearing yet. I am headed back to Austin tomorrow to lock down a senate sponsor and get it scheduled for a hearing. The next 16 days are going to be a roller coaster.

You are thinking of the "Local and Uncontested" calendar.

Thank you.

And yes, that's the name that escaped me. But based on what the House Freedom Caucus did to the House's version of that calendar yesterday, I fear whitmire might grab that as an excuse to torpedo this bill once again. :^<

Yes, I understand that. But I believe most of the bills killed were democrat-sponsored bills, were they not? Granted I have not researched that, but it's my belief.

And yes, I know whitmire passed the preemption bill last session, and he even passed the illegal knife bill last time. I observed that session. But by morning the illegal knife bill mysteriously disappeared from the list of passed bills. We now know why.

So anyway, my fear is that the House democrats will gain the ear of the Dean, a Senate democrat...to our detriment. I hope I'm wrong. Indeed, I hope whitmire quickly passes to the Local and Consent calendar.

I believe we will all need your most-skilled efforts in this matter, which I'm confident you will apply. You undoubtedly know whitmire better than I. Best of luck to you!

Thanks I need all the luck and best wishes I can get!!!

I'm not going to get into details here, but there is almost nobody at the capitol that doesn't want to see this bill pass (if they have an opinion at all). There is actually no R/D divide. Hopefully Senator Whitmire will treat HB1935 exactly the way he treated HB905 in 2015! We shall see.

I will tell you this much, we won't see anything at all with HB1935 until late next week at the earliest. So we need to be patient.

I will keep you guys posted for sure, and if I am jammed up Doug will.

Todd

Back