Texas Knife Laws

Uhh...I don't know how you can say that an "unarmed" attacker does not constitute a threat to your life. This is dangerous advice at best.

The fact that a person is confronted with any "attacker" is in fact a threat to their life. The victim will very likely not have the opportunity to frisk their "attacker" beforehand to determine whether they are armed, or to interrogate them to determine whether their "attacker" intends to: pummel them to death, throw them in front of a bus, to strangle them to death for sport, or to "merely" cripple them for life. When one is attacked, one must do whatever they are able to defend themselves.
This is particularly germane in light of the recent Trayvon Martin case, where an unarmed athletic youth was able to beat an overweight CHL carrier practically unconscious with his bare hands.

I am a Texas commissioned security officer (not an LEO!), and our training includes sections on the definition and use of deadly force. In Texas, "deadly force" constitutes anything that can potentially be either fatal or cause permanent and/or severe injury. Any attack which could potentially break bones or crack a skull is considered deadly force by Texas law. Hence, most women can reasonably use deadly force in response to an empty hand attack by most healthy males just given the typical disparity in physical power between men and women. So too could a man threatened by multiple attackers or by an attacker demonstrating a gross physical advantage such as expertise in the martial arts.

No, that's not carte blanche to gun down every bigger guy you see on the street or take out a dojo full of teens, it just means that an attacker doesn't have to produce a weapon to be considered dangerous. Just try not to get in situations where it might be necessary.

Hi everyone !
I am new here in forum and I would have question about knife laws in America. I live in Finland and I have bought knives a couple of times and those have shipped via USPS.... and no problems. But now I am thinking to take storage address which would be in Houston TX. It is so called mail forwarding company. So the situation is different ... at the first knife shop will deliver my knives to Houston ( my storage address) and then mail forwarding company will send it again to Finland.

Do I broke some laws if my order would include some knives which are illegal in Houston. Those knives newer will use in Houston .... those are only in transit.

Have there any limits to buy or order knives from other states ? Does knife become illegal if somebody carry it on the street but inside home people can save all type of knives.

Thanks beforehand !
Mike

Hi everyone !
I am new here in forum and I would have question about knife laws in America. I live in Finland and I have bought knives a couple of times and those have shipped via USPS.... and no problems. But now I am thinking to take storage address which would be in Houston TX. It is so called mail forwarding company. So the situation is different ... at the first knife shop will deliver my knives to Houston ( my storage address) and then mail forwarding company will send it again to Finland.

Do I broke some laws if my order would include some knives which are illegal in Houston. Those knives newer will use in Houston .... those are only in transit.

Have there any limits to buy or order knives from other states ? Does knife become illegal if somebody carry it on the street but inside home people can save all type of knives.

Thanks beforehand !
Mike

You're fine! Laws prohibiting possession require you personally to have control over it. Since you would never physically be in Houston, there is no way you can violate a knife law there. Further I don't know of any laws in Houston or Texas that would apply to a knife being mailed like this in the first place. The United States does have some export laws related to "trafficking in arms" but none that apply to any knives. The US also has laws on selling switchblades between two different states, but I don't think those apply to sale outside the US.

Heres a good one. A few months back I was stopped by our local mall security for having what they called an "Exterior Sheathed Knife". The knife I was carrying was a custom made skinner with a 2 3/8" blade in a tooled leather side sitter holster, on my belt. I was told that I could not carry an "Exterior sheathed knife" in the mall, because of safety laws. To my knowledge there is no law that restricts me from carrying an unconcealed knife in a public place such as a shopping mall. I would just like to have someone reassure me of this.

Thanks

Heres a good one. A few months back I was stopped by our local mall security for having what they called an "Exterior Sheathed Knife". The knife I was carrying was a custom made skinner with a 2 3/8" blade in a tooled leather side sitter holster, on my belt. I was told that I could not carry an "Exterior sheathed knife" in the mall, because of safety laws. To my knowledge there is no law that restricts me from carrying an unconcealed knife in a public place such as a shopping mall. I would just like to have someone reassure me of this.

Thanks

There is no state law prohibiting such a knife carried that way. It's possible there is a local city ordinance they were referring too. It is also possible it is simply the malls policy, which means the carry is not against the law, but as private property they have a right to tell you to leave and charge you with trespassing if you don't.

There is no state law prohibiting such a knife carried that way. It's possible there is a local city ordinance they were referring too. It is also possible it is simply the malls policy, which means the carry is not against the law, but as private property they have a right to tell you to leave and charge you with trespassing if you don't.

What he said :thumbup:

So I am a current resident in San Antonio and I was told today by a friend that it is illegal for me to carry a knife that has a locking mechanism on it and of course, less than 5.5 inches. I know the state law states I can carry a knife that locks as long as it is less than 5.5 inches long. I'm curious to know if my friend is right? and if he is, what can I carry?

San Antonio has a city ordnance that makes it illegal to carry a locking blade pocket knife with a blade length of LESS THAN 5.5 inches. This has been since 1996. The wording is in a post on page 1 of this thread. The city's reasoning is for use in "anti-gang warfare" (my words, not any politician's).

State law already makes ANY knife with a blade length of MORE THAN 5.5 inches an "illegal" knife. Texas' definition of "Illegal knife" is such that it is illegal to carry around in public. You can own any illegal knife and carry it around your house or on your property. Exceptions include while hunting/fishing/camping on someone else's private property WITH THEIR PERMISSION.

The police don't NORMALLY go looking for people carrying lock-blade knives, but if you are stopped for some other reason, it gives them another charge to hang on you. So if uyou are not out doing something stupid, you are GENERALLY safe, kinda.

San Antonio has a city ordnance that makes it illegal to carry a locking blade pocket knife with a blade length of LESS THAN 5.5 inches. This has been since 1996. The wording is in a post on page 1 of this thread. The city's reasoning is for use in "anti-gang warfare" (my words, not any politician's).

State law already makes ANY knife with a blade length of MORE THAN 5.5 inches an "illegal" knife. Texas' definition of "Illegal knife" is such that it is illegal to carry around in public. You can own any illegal knife and carry it around your house or on your property. Exceptions include while hunting/fishing/camping on someone else's private property WITH THEIR PERMISSION.

The police don't NORMALLY go looking for people carrying lock-blade knives, but if you are stopped for some other reason, it gives them another charge to hang on you. So if uyou are not out doing something stupid, you are GENERALLY safe, kinda.

So, theoretically, if you had a folding lockblade that was exactly 5.5", it would be legal in San Antonio since it's not "less than" and legal by Texas statute since it's not "more than"... You'd have to be careful that you didn't shorten it when you sharpened it... Shows you some of the absurdity of these laws.

And the last statement is a good one. Doing stupid stuff with stupid people in stupid places is a sure way to get attention.

Last edited:
So, theoretically, if you had a folding lockblade that was exactly 5.5", it would be legal in San Antonio since it's not "less than" and legal by Texas statute since it's not "more than"... You'd have to be careful that you didn't shorten it when you sharpened it... Shows you some of the absurdity of these laws.

And the last statement is a good one. Doing stupid stuff with stupid people in stupid places is a sure way to get attention.

And whose ruler do you use? and what's the air temp? -- that will change the length of the ruler... yeah, really stupid ordinance. One of those politician feel good, do nothing junk laws. Hopefully, next legislative session, Knife Rights and its lobbyist will get the pre-emption law passed.

Does any one on here know how the laws go with carrying of a butterfly knife in the city and on school property in Houston/katy texas ?

The city of Houston has a city ordinance that bans the possession of knives of any kind on any property owned or controlled by the city of Houston, including parking lots.

Now just how aggressively do they enforce the ordinance? Unknown. Most likely they use it to tack on charges for when a LEO stops someone for some other reason (public intoxication, vandalism, jaywalking, whatever draws their attention to you. But then again, if the arrest count is light for the week and and a LEO who just got chewed out for not writing enough tickets sees your pocket clip while you are leaving a parking garage? Maybe you get a free portrait photo.

For a specific school district, you will have to consult their regulations or call and ask the Superintendent's office. They might even have the correct answer for you.

From what I could find there's nothing prohibiting carrying a butterfly knife in the Katy, TX area. The only "weapon" ordinance is against discharging a firearm within the city limits which is a state law anyways.

As for Houston itself the ordinance is 3 inches or longer are prohibited (which minimizes the state law of 5.5" down to 3") in general and not allowed to be carried on city property such as city hall, schools, other city owned public places (such as a city pool, library, etc.).

As for zzyzzogeton's comment we don't have quotas for arrests or citations. Everything that is enforceable is up to each individual officer's discretion. When the state is the "victim" such as traffic laws being broken, finding a knife with a longer than legal blade length, non collision DWI's, etc.. then it's the officers' discretion whether or not to enforce it. When people are the "victim's" then it's up to those individuals to file charges as applicable by law. The officer then is just carrying out the law on behalf of the victim to investigate, arrest, file a report, etc.

These city ordinances are primarily used (through my experience) when dealing with gang members, aggressive individuals, as an add on for some other arresting offense.

As for zzyzzogeton's comment we don't have quotas for arrests or citations. Everything that is enforceable is up to each individual officer's discretion. When the state is the "victim" such as traffic laws being broken, finding a knife with a longer than legal blade length, non collision DWI's, etc.. then it's the officers' discretion whether or not to enforce it. When people are the "victim's" then it's up to those individuals to file charges as applicable by law. The officer then is just carrying out the law on behalf of the victim to investigate, arrest, file a report, etc.

These city ordinances are primarily used (through my experience) when dealing with gang members, aggressive individuals, as an add on for some other arresting offense.

That CERTAINLY has been my experience. Not since the mid 70s have I personally seen any officers hassle someone just to fill a quota on illegal weapons. 40 ago years down here in Texas, I can believe there were problems. I was here. But sitting here typing this, not an instance in 30-35 years comes to mind. Nobody I know of has reported anything like that, either.

I am thankful that although San Antonio's metro area is claimed to be around 2.75 million people, we have great (although overworked!) police officers that are pretty good folks. We aren't some small town where everyone knows everybody so laws get bent or broken because of who you know. But as I said earlier, common sense is a big factor here when dealing with our local constabulary. One of the last minor league baseball games I went to I knew one of the cops moonlighting as security, and we both took a look at each other's knives. He was unconcerned with my 4" bladed knife, and then showed me his 4" bladed combo edge. We have a lot of hunters, fishermen, hikers and outdoorsmen so a great deal of folks carry all sizes of knives so again, not too many think anything about what knife someone else is carrying.

If you are stupid and threaten someone with a knife, or are that knot head that insists on pulling it out at inopportune times to impress your friends and to scare "sheeple", I am fine with the police taking your knife. Idiots shouldn't own one. Rarely here is an eyebrow raised when a police officer shoots someone that pulls a knife on them or someone else. I am fine with letting the officers use discretion. So far they have done a good job.

Does any one on here know how the laws go with carrying of a butterfly knife in the city and on school property in Houston/katy texas ?

OK... back to the common sense thing. What in the world would make anyone carry a butterfly knife on school property? In this day and age where children are shooting other children and parents are scared to death, why could you ever believe it is anything less than profound stupidity to carry a knife like that on school property? Why would anyone have to be told NOT to bring a clumsy operating, primarily fighting knife to a school? Good judgement has to win out here. If you have to ask, you probably know the answer. They are sending children home in some school districts around here for folding fingernail files. Children and adults are two different things here, and ALL schools here, every last one has a "zero tolerance" approach to weapons. You can't carry a peanut, SAK or any other bladed tool on school grounds to any school I know of.

I don't know why you would need a balisong at school for any reason. But if you get caught on a school campus waving around the knife so you can get it open to use, you should probably count on some legal consequences.

Robert

Last edited:
In Corpus Christi, by ordinance, you may carry a folding knife of less than 3" length. All fixed blades are illegal. Sure wish the state would standardize and loosen up a bit on the knife laws.

In Corpus Christi, by ordinance, you may carry a folding knife of less than 3" length. All fixed blades are illegal. Sure wish the state would standardize and loosen up a bit on the knife laws.

That's actually my hometown but I work elsewhere. The State has the standardized limit of 5.5" in blade length however each municipality (city) has the authority to create more restrictive laws based on necessity (such as noise ordinances, cell phone use, knife length, fireworks). You can roam around any county or small town and be perfectly fine but when traveling through big cities do a little research on city ordinances and just stay out of trouble. Typically we're so busy that we only deal with the same repeat offenders anyways and leave the "good people" alone unless they drive like bats out of hell and draw attention to themselves.

Depends on the "survival knife" in question and where you are in Texas. Except for a few cities with shorter length limits or Corpus, which bans fixed blades, as long as the knife in question is less than 5.5" long and single edged (no sharpening at all anywhere along the spine-side of the knife), it is legal to carry in Texas.

Back