Texas Knife Laws

Not to carry:D It's still a dagger. Texas law doesn't differentiate between a dagger, a punch dagger, a push dagger, a dagger bayonet, the "Ninja Mall Rainbow Karambit Dagger with Dragon's Teeth handles" dagger, etc.

Back when the law was written, (just an educated guess here, no facts:D), I'm sure the law started out just listing daggers and bowie knives, because those were the 2 most commmonly used knives in duels and also happened to be the 2 most commonly carried knife types (after the ubiquitous butcher knife) by poor folks. Rich folks could afford guns (and knives until reliable multishot pistols were developed), poor folks carried knives only. By the time the bill got out of committee, other knife types were added to cover the "fenceline lawyers" who might claim "But this is a dirk, not a dagger." Class difference are most likely why clubs and tomahawks are speciffically listed in the "bad weapons" section.

Thank you all for your input. I will be on the safe side and not carry it if I end up buying it.

By the way, the loop on the handle is for you to slip your index finger. This in turn allows you to flip it to the outside of the hand, freeing for other uses such as two-hand firearm handling.

Can someone post a copy of the statute that says it can be over 5.5 when camping, hunting, etc? I've looked but cant' find it. Thanks!

Texas Penal Code Section 46 has all the information you need.

There is never a mention of hunting, camping, fishing, or any other occupation or past-time.

There is just a specification of whether a knife is legal or illegal. Legal is 5.5" or less, single edge. Period. If it's legal, you can carry it on or off your own property, concealed or open carry. Unless prohibited by other law/regulation - like a court house, school yard, etc.

If it's illegal - longer than 5.5", or double edged, or both, - it is illegal. You can own it, you can use it on your own property or any property you have a legal right to be on. You can't carry it in public.

Texas Penal Code Section 46 has all the information you need.

There is never a mention of hunting, camping, fishing, or any other occupation or past-time.

There is just a specification of whether a knife is legal or illegal. Legal is 5.5" or less, single edge. Period. If it's legal, you can carry it on or off your own property, concealed or open carry. Unless prohibited by other law/regulation - like a court house, school yard, etc.

If it's illegal - longer than 5.5", or double edged, or both, - it is illegal. You can own it, you can use it on your own property or any property you have a legal right to be on. You can't carry it in public.

Thanks for the info!

San Antonio has a city ordnance that makes it illegal to carry a locking blade pocket knife with a blade length of LESS THAN 5.5 inches. This has been since 1996. The wording is in a post on page 1 of this thread. The city's reasoning is for use in "anti-gang warfare" (my words, not any politician's).

State law already makes ANY knife with a blade length of MORE THAN 5.5 inches an "illegal" knife. Texas' definition of "Illegal knife" is such that it is illegal to carry around in public. You can own any illegal knife and carry it around your house or on your property. Exceptions include while hunting/fishing/camping on someone else's private property WITH THEIR PERMISSION.

The police don't NORMALLY go looking for people carrying lock-blade knives, but if you are stopped for some other reason, it gives them another charge to hang on you. So if uyou are not out doing something stupid, you are GENERALLY safe, kinda.

With the change that came in 2015, San Antonio can no longer make up it's own laws and they are all abolished. 5.5 is still in effect since it is a state law, but San Antonio can't make laws harsher than the state per the change in 2015. Hopefully this year all of this will change. Write your congressman!

Back